Wednesday Practice Notes (#14)

-Worley looked solid and was "in command"
-Croom had two touchdowns and Peterman executed.
-Malone caught a long TD pass from Dobbs.
-Justus Picket had a long run and was solid.

John Brice

Did they execute Peterman just because Croom had two TD's?

Reactions: 20 people
On Maggitt, one thing to keep in mind is that even though Curt is a veteran on this team, he's playing a new position at defensive end. He needs the reps and I'm sure the coaches would prefer he participate in practice. This is definitely going to be one to keep an eye on during the next several practices.

Great point. Even if he isn't always 100% or playing as well as he should they need that extra body if nothing else.

On Maggitt, one thing to keep in mind is that even though Curt is a veteran on this team, he's playing a new position at defensive end. He needs the reps and I'm sure the coaches would prefer he participate in practice. This is definitely going to be one to keep an eye on during the next several practices.

If it is a high ankle sprain which it seems to be right considering the time he has missed. We may not see him until the week of Utah ST.

OK, based on everything here, we know our Offense can ball, now we need to use the remaining practices to concentrate on improving the Defense. I am glad they are putting such emphasis nutrition and recovery to these young kids. They have no idea the mental and physical toll they are about to embark on in the SEC. We are going to do better than most think this year, but we are going to get whipped a few times and we need to be able to eliminate it and move on to the next week and be fresh and ready for another fight. Steele said we have the 2nd toughest schedule in the country and we will have to grind this season to stay healthy and nutrition and rest will be KEY.

Reactions: 1 person
OK, based on everything here, we know our Offense can ball, now we need to use the remaining practices to concentrate on improving the Defense. I am glad they are putting such emphasis nutrition and recovery to these young kids. They have no idea the mental and physical toll they are about to embark on in the SEC. We are going to do better than most think this year, but we are going to get whipped a few times and we need to be able to eliminate it and move on to the next week and be fresh and ready for another fight. Steele said we have the 2nd toughest schedule in the country and we will have to grind this season to stay healthy and nutrition and rest will be KEY.
We need to use the remaining practices to improve every aspect of our team.

The defense has actually out-preformed the offense for almost all of camp. Which is normal. Defense usually starts ahead as the offense learns and gets its timing and cohesion together.

The D has a chance to be very good. A lot of speed and talent has been infused. They will make mental errors... just have to hope they aren't too numerous or in big spots.

It's a very mild ankle sprain. It happens and if he didn't have a bad history for injury he would still be out there. Coaches are managing his snaps and injuries he'll be ready to go by USU. I would rather him not practice than make the sprain worst.

We all don't want it to get worse of course. But it is a high ankle sprain which complicates it a bit. He's also pretty much missed 2 years of football and now he's missing valuable practice time and reps 2.5-3 weeks before the opening game.

While I agree with you that he should recover fairly soon and it appears he'll be ready to go vs USU based on what we've heard, it's more than logical to be concerned that Curt is injured again given his history.

He could and should be. I'm a fan of Croom, but we've been saying this for a while now. It's time for him to step up.

How long could you have been saying this? He is a Sophomore. The way you put that makes it sound like he's a disappointing 5th year senior, not a soph. coming off of a solid redshirt freshman year.

Reactions: 3 people
How long could you have been saying this? He is a Sophomore. The way you put that makes it sound like he's a disappointing 5th year senior, not a soph. coming off of a solid redshirt freshman year.

So that means its his third season and should be healthy and ready to finally produce and make the most of his talents. Also, saying "a solid redshirt freshman year" is stretching it a bit when he was hurt most of the season and I can't really remember him making an impact in any game last season. Certainly not knocking the kid by any means, I am a big fan--- I just think most of us see the potential with his measurables and skill sets and would like to see him finally make the most of it.

So that means its his third season and should be healthy and ready to finally produce and make the most of his talents. Also, saying "a solid redshirt freshman year" is stretching it a bit when he was hurt most of the season and I can't really remember him making an impact in any game last season. Certainly not knocking the kid by any means, I am a big fan--- I just think most of us see the potential with his measurables and skill sets and would like to see him finally make the most of it.

He was our third leading receiving in yardage despite only starting 7 games, and was our 2nd leading receiver in yards per catch (amongst WR's with at least 2 receptions). This is ignoring the fact that he was probably our best blocking WR last year as well. That seems to be a very fine redshirt freshman year (with horrible QB play).

He may not have been a world beater, but he performed better than most freshman wideouts, and he did so under terrible circumstances. He at least did well enough to where, with it being his only year of play, it is crazy to say that it is put up or shut up time for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back