Wednesday Practice Notes (#14)

Has this been confirmed, or are you extrapolating reports?

nobody has really clarified how severe. The thing is they were going to limit Curt even if he was healthy. Now that he rolled an ankle a week ago they will def sit him and be even more cautious. No need to panic yet.

Bu93YQ_IUAAYB4L.jpg

Reactions: 7 people
Any thoughts on why Malone is having a hard time? Thought he was full of confidence. I hope the best for him.

I saw on one of the TSR guys' twitter where Malone may be having a hard time dealing with "being yelled at" and may not be handling it very well.

I saw on one of the TSR guys' twitter where Malone may be having a hard time dealing with "being yelled at" and may not be handling it very well.

Jones cited him having to work through injuries in the interview.

How. Any times he says his key slogans like mental toughness....

Coach Jones is doing what any leader of an organization does when he is trying to instill his vision for the way ahead in the minds of his team -- You have to keep "beating the drum" on the key themes and follow up words with action. It seems like our coach is a student of organizational leadership, as are most coaches operating at this level.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
"Your pillow and your mouth are very important because it's sleeping, it's hydration," Jones said. "It's how you take care of your bodies in hydration and nutrition. A lot of young players really, really struggle with it. You know you need nine hours of sleep."

Though both scrimmages were closed to the media, Jones said senior linebacker A.J. Johnson participated more Wednesday than on Saturday when coaches chose to rest him and allow less experienced players to go through more repetitions in practice.

"You can't just hold a player back," Jones said of Johnson, UT's leading returning tackler. "He has to make sure he's ready to go. Even though he's played a lot of football, he needs those repetitions, which he got tonight."

Jocquez Bruce of South-Doyle, a 2015 commitment, was among a handful of prospects who attended the scrimmage. Bruce is listed by 247Sports as a three-star athlete.

‘Pillow and your mouth’ important to players - GoVolsXtra Story

Reactions: 3 people
-Worley looked solid and was "in command"
-Croom had two touchdowns and Peterman executed.
-Malone caught a long TD pass from Dobbs.
-Justus Picket had a long run and was solid.

John Brice

Love seeing Croom get mentioned in the red zone. Fairly quiet camp for him but he's got some physical talents you cannot teach.

-"DL916, no. No I don't."
-Butch wasn't pleased with intensity.
-Croom, along with Smith, Howard and Pearson all had good nights.
-Lane and Hurd were held out. Pickett was solid filling in.
-Too many penalties on offense. Butch made them run.
-Young DBs had trouble finding the ball.
-No Maggitt and no Reeves-Maybin.

Fortenberry

Reactions: 1 person
There have been a lot of comments about Coach Jones engaging in "coach-speak", as if to say he never gives meaningful, detailed answers to questions. And while there is no doubt he does seem to like slogans and catch phrases more than the average coach, he doesn't engage in "coach-speak" any more than most coaches in answering questions from the media.

In his post-practice interview tonight, for example, he was very specific when asked what specifically he wasn't pleased with concerning this particular practice. Among his answers: pre-snap penalties, inconsistent shotgun snaps, schematic overload is no excuse, mental mistakes leading to big plays, bad tackling, football endurance as opposed to just getting by. All those are fairly specific and informative answers, imo.

Love seeing Croom get mentioned in the red zone. Fairly quiet camp for him but he's got some physical talents you cannot teach.

He'll be a nightmare for defenses to try to match up with.

Starting to worry a little bit about Maggitt. The guy cannot seem to stay healthy even for practice. We desperately need him to stay healthy this year.

Starting to worry a little bit about Maggitt. The guy cannot seem to stay healthy even for practice. We desperately need him to stay healthy this year.

It's a very mild ankle sprain. It happens and if he didn't have a bad history for injury he would still be out there. Coaches are managing his snaps and injuries he'll be ready to go by USU. I would rather him not practice than make the sprain worst.

Reactions: 4 people

i would say they are holding him more as precause for the fact he has been injuried so much!

On Maggitt, one thing to keep in mind is that even though Curt is a veteran on this team, he's playing a new position at defensive end. He needs the reps and I'm sure the coaches would prefer he participate in practice. This is definitely going to be one to keep an eye on during the next several practices.

VN Store

Back