Wednesday Practice Notes (#14)

Any thoughts on why Malone is having a hard time? Thought he was full of confidence. I hope the best for him.

It's been Worley all along. he's earned it. but i like hearing that Peterman has been solid. i also liked hearing about his work ethic and film habits. Dobbs still showing great flashes, as well. next year's the qb battle will be much more interesting i think.

Reactions: 1 person
Patrick Brown: Butch said #Vols 'still not there' with accuracy on shotgun snaps. QBs & centers were still getting extra work while he talked to the media.

Any clue what this is about?

Yes. On twitter today, the guys from RockyTopInsider, Daniel Lewis's group, put up a post they called Butch Jones Bingo. On the board were very common phrases/words that CBJ typically uses during his coach speak. Here....

Butch Jones Bingo | Rocky Top Insider

Pretty well done but they left out the most common one IMO.... Mental Toughness

Reactions: 3 people
I think Butch was the only one speaking to the media, so I'm guessing that might be about it apart from a few tidbits filtering through. The video should be up shortly.

I am actually surprised we aren't hearing more about growing pains from this freshman class. it seems like they all came pretty well prepared, showing a lot of initiative early in the process. of course having half of them enrolled by January certainly helped a lot. Butch has really got a good thing going with his ability to get these kids in early.

Still waiting to read some joker who thinks CBJ isn't the guy b/c of our terrible practices!

I know you were being facetious but being someone who is still waiting to see... I count it as points in his favor that he is not satisfied with practice... ever.

He is always looking for some detail to sharpen even on their best days. That's a very good thing for a HC.

Reactions: 2 people
Let's get it started.

JONES: It was a very productive night for us.

JONES: I wasn't pleased where we were defensively. I thought we lacked intensity and gave up too many big plays.

JONES: Our practice opportunities are winding down before our first game, we need to make the most of them.

JONES: We need to control what we can control. We had too many pre snap penalties and too many big plays.

JONES: Last time we came in great arena, I could feel the intensity. I didn't feel that tonight.

JONES: It's every player's responsibility to get themselves ready. We have to have the intensity.

JONES: I thought Josh Malone stepped up. Josh Smith continues to have a great camp.

JONES: As a corner, you're going to give up big plays, you have to snap and clear. I thought too many times it impacted 2-3 plays later.

JONES: Our older players have done a great job mentoring our young players, but they have to play fast.

JONES: I'm proud of our sports science, from nutrition to recovery to strength and conditioning.

JONES: A lot if young players struggle with the importance of rest in recovery and injury prevention.

JONES: I think it's important moving forward that our players know who is our quarterback. I've been pleased with all three.

JONES: I'm proud of Josh Malone. He's been fighting through things and he took big steps tonight.

JONES: Mental errors cost football games. Great players make plays, we can't accept big plays that come from mental errors.

JONES: When you're scrimmaging, the lights are on. We had the coaches up in the box tonight.

JONES on Saturday's open practice: It's very important to have a big crowd and I know our fans will respond.

(That's the end of Jones' comments)

I read these in the voice of the Sphinx from Mystery Men. Better that way.

Bu9PBUNIMAA0yr2.jpg

Johnny Majors, former Vol Lee Jenkins and Doug Matthews at the scrimmage tonight.

Reactions: 19 people
Now all I can picture is CBJ sticking his rear in the window of Sabans limo and having one of the other coaches pull his finger.

Lol, That was Spleen. Sphinx was the old Indian dude who spoke in conflicting riddles, played by Wes Studi.

VN Store

Back