We blew a 25 point lead?

You know if your 35 games into a season and still bitching about the refs you may want to look in the mirror. It’s not them. It’s us. Bad calls happen to every team. We foul a crap load. It almost caused us to get bounced today. I mean KA is a walking foul machine. And in this game we got away with some late. Including one of grants blocks.
Seriously? We got hosed by the officials several times, the most glaring one was on Turners block of the 3 point shot that was going to be a dunk on our end for a 5 point lead. Game probably would not have gone to OT had the correct call been made there but instead was tied after the 3 FT's .The official closest to that play even signaled " blocked shot" and the ref 30 feet away blew his whistle after the play was over and changed his mind. If I didn't know better I would have thought the refs had $ on Iowa. Officiating continues to just plain suck most games.

Reactions: Volle
I almost almost almost wanna say that I'll feel more comfortable against Purdue if we're up by a couple points at the half or even trail by 1 or 2 than to go in with a double digit lead. Crazy? Maybe, but I really think we will tend to play a better 2nd half if we're feeling some pressure.
Agree, we tend to coast and get lazy when we are up by 10+ points

OP. What happened was, They got Admiral'd in the first half. We felt bad for them, went into chill mode, let them score a bunch of points, then Grant was like "Alright man...let's stop playing with these little boys" and then they Got Grant'd. Iowa cried, Fran still sucks, Purdue gonna catch those hands next. If you try to watch ESPN, you likely won't see anything. Duke played tonight so...

All I can say about the refs is it gets really inconsistent with what they call in the 2nd half compared to the 1st half. Things that weren't a foul in the first half all of a sudden is in the second half. We did turn it over way more in second half but Admiral going out hurt us from the 3 point line but he went out due to fouls that were called against him

I can't complain about the refs. You take care of the 25 pt lead, refs can't mess this game up. I can't stand how they disrupt the flow of the game. They will let them basically fight in the paint but then call a stupid ticky tacky touch foul. The most obvious blown calls was the Grant travel before he kicked it off for a 3 and the Turner block that sent dude to the line to hit 3 freethrows.

No one valued the ball. No one. I bet we didn’t get 10 shots off in the first 10 minutes of the second half but but this team seams to excel when in a pinch. They’re plenty battle tested where Purdue is not

I have said this for the past couple of games they play hard in the first half then sleep walk the second. Its going to catch them if they don't play more consistent, one other glaring problem no three point shooter. Duke as survived without one but their talent is a lot better.
Lamonte Turner, Jordan Bowden, Admiral Schofield, Jordan Bone....

I just asked a question and hoped for an answer. Some of us have prior events that we just cannot get out of. No one was complaining-just a question.
You have every right to ask a legitimate question. It wasn’t even a criticism. Don’t be put off by the Sunshine Patrol on these threads who jump on anyone who who isn’t 100% positive.

A few bad calls but mainly ... Our guys got tired . The ball pressure defense lacked a bit .. We missed shots and turnovers is how and they got confidence .. Does that explain ???

I have said this for the past couple of games they play hard in the first half then sleep walk the second. Its going to catch them if they don't play more consistent, one other glaring problem no three point shooter. Duke as survived without one but their talent is a lot better.
Seriously we are a MUCH better 3 point shooting team than Duke with at least 4 guys who can shoot better than almost every guy they have. We just shot 40% to Iowa’s 30%.
I do agree with our baffling second halves tho. If we can even play good for 30mins I like our chances to get to the Final 4

I thought the same thing lol. Went to bed at half because of our lead and while I will always believe in "it ain't over till it's over"... this one looked pretty over.

Woke up and saw that we won in OT and did a big ol' "wtf???"

Go Vols!

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Two games in a row they have faltered in the second half. Barnes needs to get that fixed if they want to continue to win. GBO.

Yes but this has been a problem with the team all year; this is not some weird fluke.
It didn’t help that Admiral and Grant were both on the bench for a while in fouls trouble. Ultimately, that’s what hurt us. As soon as Barnes inserted Grant into the game, things got a little better.

I’m personally tired of Grant not getting the calls he deserves when he’s fouled. Then there’s Zion who plows over 2 guys in the lane and gets the foul call. If that was Grant, they toss him from the game.

Reactions: 1985Vols
I thought the same thing lol. Went to bed at half because of our lead and while I will always believe in "it ain't over till it's over"... this one looked pretty over.

Woke up and saw that we won in OT and did a big ol' "wtf???"

Go Vols!

Team also went to bed at half. Fortunately they woke up and said "wtf???" at the end of regulation.

Reactions: montanatenn
It didn’t help that Admiral and Grant were both on the bench for a while in fouls trouble. Ultimately, that’s what hurt us. As soon as Barnes inserted Grant into the game, things got a little better.

I’m personally tired of Grant not getting the calls he deserves when he’s fouled. Then there’s Zion who plows over 2 guys in the lane and gets the foul call. If that was Grant, they toss him from the game.
Pretty amazing for Duke come back. Just plow your apponent over, get your free foul shots instead of a charging call, shoot your foul shots and catch up before you loose.

Do you not think enough negavols are already complaining about this?! We don't need another thread about it to feed them. DVR the game, watch highlights, etc.
Good lord man, it was an epic collapse. 25 point lead only to be taken to overtime? Most teams are celebrating the sweet 16 and it feels in some ways like UT lost. It took Grant two full games to arrive at the tourney.

Grant lost his legs last year and it looked to be the same. Getting blocked, getting beat, not elevating, settling for jump shots, missing tee throws. Yes, the officiating was real bad but this team fell apart. Then your senior leader jacks up a three early in the shot clock and then essentially benches himself? WTF is that about? Purdue will roll this team if they don’t get their heads on straight.

You have every right to ask a legitimate question. It wasn’t even a criticism. Don’t be put off by the Sunshine Patrol on these threads who jump on anyone who who isn’t 100% positive.
Amen!
I had hate b-ball forum Nazis

The vols were playing for a birth to the sweet 16, you didn't watch and you come in here to complain?!...SMH!!!

don't thinking vvf6 was actually complaining...just wanted to know "what the hell happened"...I watched it and was wondering the same thing...:D

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back