We blew a 25 point lead?

Coaches (all of them) continue to do a dismal job keeping these guys focused for 40 mins. Granted a team FULL of veterans shouldn't NEED to be reminded, but it seems that they dont realize or care that they have a chance to be special. They TOTALLY lacked focus in the SECCG. And that was for a TROPHY! Seems like Grant has been playing with his main focus on the NBA. Same with Bone. Neither of them have played particularly well for an entire game since about January.

The number of fans who have the ability to read minds on this Board should soon attract the attention of Agents Mulder and Scully.

Reactions: butchna
Scoreboard fallum. Makum bigem crash. Admiral hurt big. Admiral get better. Themum fixem scoreboard. Scoreboard sayum we win.

The first half was energy on defense took Iowa completely out of their offense. Second half we looked like we already won the game totally relaxed and went about 8 possessions without scoring while they scored on all theirs.
It truly was. I still wonder if it was because Iowa took us out of our game, and prevented us from playing like we did in the 1st half? Or was it because Barnes didn’t make any adjustments to counter against what Iowa changed?

Focus played a huge part in the 11 2nd half TOs, though. Watching them play yesterday, to me, it really seemed like they had in their mind that they had built an insurmountable lead, and the play on the court looked lackadaisical and lacked focus until they had to dial it in. I guess on one hand, it's nice to be able to hit a button and dominate, but you'd like to see them hit that button and then lose the remote.

I never played at the level they do, but it's odd to me that this is apparently a recurring issue with them. I did play high school and lower sports and I can tell you that when my team was blowing someone out, I wanted to keep blowing them out and so did my teammates. I can see it happening a few times as nobody is always "dialed in", but so many games there seems to be a switch that just goes off and refuses to come back on until it's crunch time.

And granted, yesterday's was the extreme example from this year, and maybe it's the one that finally breaks them of this.

We won. Don’t care. 😴
Respectfully, I think we should care. Adjustments and learnings from what occurred have to be understood, so that we can ensure we don’t do it again. Surely Purdue will take the analysis from what happened against Iowa and try to apply it against us right from the start. Not learning from our mistakes, even when we win, is a recipe for losing.

Were gonna have to stop over passing and telegraphing passes that was most of the turnovers. To much perimeter work and not enough moving toward the basket.

Reactions: knox73
Respectfully, I think we should care. Adjustments and learnings from what occurred have to be understood, so that we can ensure we don’t do it again. Surely Purdue will take the analysis from what happened against Iowa and try to apply it against us right from the start. Not learning from our mistakes, even when we win, is a recipe for losing.
You keep saying “we”. None of us coach or play the games. I trust Rick Barnes to do his job and the players, theirs. If they mess up, I’ll address that at the appropriate time...and no one else will care. Know your place and cheer or don’t.

You keep saying “we”. None of us coach or play the games. I trust Rick Barnes to do his job and the players, theirs. If they mess up, I’ll address that at the appropriate time...and no one else will care. Know your place and cheer or don’t.
“We”, are I hope, all supporters and pulling hard for the Vols to win. I know I am. I don’t apologize for questioning what we can do better. Celebrate the wins while always seeking improvement....

I can tell by the comments that 99% of you have never competed at a high level before. It's the way it is. Fatigue causes loss of focus as well as perception. For years I competed in endurance events and I can attest to the battle that occurs between the ears. In a team sport, all it takes is one or two guys hitting the redline and everything starts falling apart. Substitution doesn't always help because the flow is not the same. Should a team be able to come back from 25 down to TN? Absolutely not but there are reasons teams fall apart.

I never played at the level they do, but it's odd to me that this is apparently a recurring issue with them. I did play high school and lower sports and I can tell you that when my team was blowing someone out, I wanted to keep blowing them out and so did my teammates. I can see it happening a few times as nobody is always "dialed in", but so many games there seems to be a switch that just goes off and refuses to come back on until it's crunch time.

And granted, yesterday's was the extreme example from this year, and maybe it's the one that finally breaks them of this.
I think there is a sense of invincibility derived from such a dominant half of basketball as the 1st half yesterday. We have seen on several occasions that Bone and Turner tend to get a little cute (careless) with the ball in those situations. If you remember, it can sort of be traced back to the 2nd half of that Arkansas game. We just to sort of go into a mindset of "coasting" and yesterday that mindset almost bit us. That was an extreme example of it that we saw, but at this time of the year.

It is kind of funny though. If you swapped both halves and keep the results of OT, then Tennessee is talked about as a team that wouldn't be denied, resilient, leadership, etc. People would forget they started down 21 points at halftime. Perspective, I guess.

I think there is a sense of invincibility derived from such a dominant half of basketball as the 1st half yesterday. We have seen on several occasions that Bone and Turner tend to get a little cute (careless) with the ball in those situations. If you remember, it can sort of be traced back to the 2nd half of that Arkansas game. We just to sort of go into a mindset of "coasting" and yesterday that mindset almost bit us. That was an extreme example of it that we saw, but at this time of the year.

It is kind of funny though. If you swapped both halves and keep the results of OT, then Tennessee is talked about as a team that wouldn't be denied, resilient, leadership, etc. People would forget they started down 21 points at halftime. Perspective, I guess.

It's definitely perspective and mostly because of what we see last. Reminds me of teams that "back into the playoffs", where they start well and then lose several down the stretch of the season; compared to a team that sucks to start the season and "rallies" to win down the stretch to make the playoffs.

It's like people saying Auburn is red hot and will win it all, yet apparently already forgot they were lucky as hell to even win against NMSU.

Reactions: cncchris33
It's definitely perspective and mostly because of what we see last. Reminds me of teams that "back into the playoffs", where they start well and then lose several down the stretch of the season; compared to a team that sucks to start the season and "rallies" to win down the stretch to make the playoffs.

It's like people saying Auburn is red hot and will win it all, yet apparently already forgot they were lucky as hell to even win against NMSU.
Exactly

Would you really ask Coach Barnes why he does not teach this team to learn from their mistakes?

Awful 3 point foul which was 5 point swing
Terrible screener double foul call
Lane violation where it looks like a push
Williams foul on a pass which somehow resulted in foul shots?
2 phantom lane violations

Did I miss anything?

The jump ball (Possession was Iowa's) with 2 minutes left in regulation was also garbage. Williams stuffed Cook's shot and then ripped the ball out of his hands. That wasn't a jump ball. I don't think they scored on that possession but it easily could'be been the difference in the game.

Reactions: VOLNPA
Yes, they are the worst team in basketball with a 10 point lead. Have been all season. Not going to change now, on to Purdue!

This is weird to consider, but if the lead was only 10 at the half. I still think UT wins. They were just not going to wake up until they had to.

VN Store

Back