We blew a 25 point lead?

MeanOrange

I did not get to see the game but I did see on ESPN that we won but blew a 25 point lead. How on earth did this veteran team do that? Thanks

This is march madness. It's never a good thing to blow such a large lead, but it is never as easy on the court as it is on paper to hold it. We turned the ball over quite a bit. Grant and Admiral had three fouls each early in the 2nd half so we were juggling our lineup. Refs were giving out plenty of free throws. And Iowa was playing with house money and everything seemed to work for a stretch. It is adrenaline and feeding off emotion at times in the tourney.

It happens. We finished and did what we needed to move on. That is what matters and as long as we keep grinding out wins idc how we do it. No one remembers style points in the history books. All that is remembered is wins and banners.

This is march madness. It's never a good thing to blow such a large lead, but it is never as easy on the court as it is on paper to hold it. We turned the ball over quite a bit. Grant and Admiral had three fouls each early in the 2nd half so we were juggling our lineup. Refs were giving out plenty of free throws. And Iowa was playing with house money and everything seemed to work for a stretch. It is adrenaline and feeding off emotion at times in the tourney.

It happens. We finished and did what we needed to move on. That is what matters and as long as we keep grinding out wins idc how we do it. No one remembers style points in the history books. All that is remembered is wins and banners.

Yes but this has been a problem with the team all year; this is not some weird fluke.

I have said this for the past couple of games they play hard in the first half then sleep walk the second. Its going to catch them if they don't play more consistent, one other glaring problem no three point shooter. Duke as survived without one but their talent is a lot better.

Reactions: chuckb1448
Yes but this has been a problem with the team all year; this is not some weird fluke.

I'm sure every team's fan base feels they have a hard time maintaining leads or winning. It's a psychological aspect of the game. Every team has to deal with momentum swings and be able to respond to them. Not all do, and we are actually better than most teams in handling them.

In the end, we have only lost 5 games and are playing in the SWEET 16. This team has found a way to finish when it matters and be the better, more mature team when the game is on the line. One month from now no one will care that we were up 25 and almost blew it. They will care that we won and made it to being one of the last 16 teams in the tourney.

The only thing I'll add is offensively Iowa played like they were supposed to in the 2nd half. They have a lot of real inside/outside weapons. I didn't expect the 2nd half to go like the 1st half but there is no excuse for blowing a 25 point lead.

Reactions: amorange
I did not get to see the game but I did see on ESPN that we won but blew a 25 point lead. How on earth did this veteran team do that? Thanks
In short, the second half of Iowa looked like the first half of Auburn a week ago. 11 TOs and 33% shooting in the 2nd half. Just foolish, sloppy play with a 20 point lead at the half. I think we mailed it in a little early and Iowa is a veteran team that ppayed like they knew their season was on the brink.

Too many second half turnovers and Iowa played with more energy in the second half. Good win but the team cannot afford to play this way against Purdue on Thursday.

The only thing I'll add is offensively Iowa played like they were supposed to in the 2nd half. They have a lot of real inside/outside weapons. I didn't expect the 2nd half to go like the 1st half but there is no excuse for blowing a 25 point lead.
We won. Don’t care. 😴

As usual, refs can't call a consistent game. Anything goes in the first half and then TN gets key players quickly in foul trouble in the second. The double foul with Fulkerson was ridiculous as was the one where Iowa pushes Kyle about 3 feet away and then jumps into him when he returns and is gifted a basket plus one. Then Turner whiffs on his foul on the 3-point shooter. Meanwhile TN gets molested (clutch, grab, and push) on every possession. Same sh!t, different day. It's been the pattern all year. I'm amazed we've managed to pull out 30 wins. At least they swallowed their whistles when Grant tied up the Iowa shooter near the end. They could have called that a foul. Can't remember if it was after the phantom foul on Turner... maybe a makeup.

I don't disagree, but if they'd just kept feeding Cook, we would have lost.

I just asked a question and hoped for an answer. Some of us have prior events that we just cannot get out of. No one was complaining-just a question.

Do you not think enough negavols are already complaining about this?! We don't need another thread about it to feed them. DVR the game, watch highlights, etc.

Reactions: ILVFL

VN Store

Back