We Beat Bama in 2014

look what dobbs did to their 2nd string defense last year. and their offense will be kiffinized. we have a good chance especially with it being at neyland. a mobile QB causes bama alot of problems.

Cam Newton and Johnny Football caused problems for everyone. I am right there with you though...heres hopeing!:)

Logically speaking you're correct. But there appears to be little to no logic regarding our series with Florida. They typically win no matter the position/status of the respective programs.

No offense, but you're looking at it objectively when you say their defense won't be able to keep up with our offense? I hope you're right but, 1. We have no idea what our offense is gonna be given our brand new OL and 2. Florida's defense always is, and will be again this year, one of the best in the country and SEC. They were great last year before suffering a lot if injuries.

They've won 19 of 25 and 9 in a row. Our "rivalry" with Florida now looks more like our traditional series vs Vandy for crying out loud. We own Vandy having won 30 of 33. Florida owns us. Ask 99Gator..... they really don't consider us a rival anymore... we're a pretty easy W for them.

I don't necessarily look at it that way.

The fact is, which this board knows all too well, Tennessee just hasn't been good recently. It's that simple.

Florida's current streak may be the longest, but Florida is not the only team Tennessee has struggled with.

Now, in some recent years, Florida has also had some poor teams. It just so happened that Tennessee still wasn't very good either.

In the 90's, I can understand the angst because Tennessee was very good. But during that time period, Florida rarely lost to anyone at home. In 94, Florida was clearly the better team. I believe that was the case in 96 as well although I know that will get an argument here.

But, in truth, the numbers against a lot of opponents in the last decade or so for Tennessee are pretty ugly....not just against Florida.

Having said all that, I can't explain why Tennessee plays better against Georgia, for example, than they do against Florida. Even in years where Georgia is clearly better than Florida, Tennessee has played much better against Georgia.

Our defense gave up a 50-yard run to Justin Worley. We're not beating anyone of significance until we get that corrected.

Reactions: 2 people
Kiff in was brought in to help qb. We have a David vs golliath chance of beating ala dama

you also have to remember the thought process on the other end of this deal.

for most florida fans for the 2014 season, you say "tennessee", they'll tell you that's the team our 4-8 squad beat by two touchdowns with the worst football team most of us have ever seen.

so, you see 4-8 florida and think "they suck. we'll get them"

florida fans see tennessee as "we beat them every year, even when we can't be georgia southern. no problem."

This loss n the candy loss is why im still in a wait and see mode on this staff.. The decisions in those two games were questionable at best.

The fla loss was a joke on so many levels for sure

This loss n the candy loss is why im still in a wait and see mode on this staff.. The decisions in those two games were questionable at best.

The fla loss was a joke on so many levels for sure

In all fairness, we got a top 10 Florida before all the injuries decimated them. We didn't play the broken Florida team that lost to Vandy and Georgia Southern.

That being said, we'd have lost to Florida no matter when in the schedule we played them...first game, 5th game, last game...we're Tennessee, it's what we do.... Lose to Florida.

If it's close, UT will have a chance....they'll still lose, but they'll have a chance. If it's a blowout it's all Florida. I actually think we stand a better chance to beat Bama or Oklahoma than Florida. Sorry to sound like a NegaVol Pick, but I'm jaded as hell when it comes to Florida after the last 25 years of futility against our "rival".

This is the crap that's embarrassing. The teams own fan base don't even believe they have a chance. I'm sure as hell glad players don't read these message boards. Have some confidence in your team man damn. I don't care what the series has been like over the years but if you have that mind set that were going to lose before the game starts don't even bother watching it.

Reactions: 4 people
i'm just teasing.

i'm like kbvol here though.

there was a time where i assumed the georgia game was a loss until being pleasantly surprised.

there was a time where i assumed the florida state game was a loss until pleasantly surprised.

when it comes to florida-tennessee, it's hard not to assume a florida victory.

As bad as I hate to admit it, you're right. I've often wondered what it would be like to be a Florida fan and expect a win verses UT year in and year out. In our case, some fans feel good about a win every 3-4 years.

I will say this though, if we played you guys later in the season each year than the 3rd game, I believe the statistics would be significantly different. Historically we start slow and gain momentum. You guys start fast, have a slump and then gain momentum. You get us at our most clumsy point year in and year out.

If Hart had a brain, he'd change the schedule.

This is the crap that's embarrassing. The teams own fan base don't even believe they have a chance. I'm sure as hell glad players don't read these message boards. Have some confidence in your team man damn. I don't care what the series has been like over the years but if you have that mind set that were going to lose before the game starts don't even bother watching it.

MY mindset has any bearing on how UT is gonna play? You serious?

I'll be pulling for them no matter what, like I have for every single game over the last few decades. If you're all emotional like this and embarrassed by a post from a guy you don't even know then that's on you.

After our record vs Florida the last generation, I'm gonna have to see them actually win a few games and be competitive before I'm gonna actually predict a win vs Florida. I'll be hoping they win, pulling like hell they win.... but I won't believe they're gonna win VS FLORIDA, until I actually see it....and it won't matter even a little bit on the outcome either way.

Reactions: 1 person
As bad as I hate to admit it, you're right. I've often wondered what it would be like to be a Florida fan and expect a win verses UT year in and year out. In our case, some fans feel good about a win every 3-4 years.

I will say this though, if we played you guys later in the season each year than the 3rd game, I believe the statistics would be significantly different. Historically we start slow and gain momentum. You guys start fast, have a slump and then gain momentum. You get us at our most clumsy point year in and year out.

He did change the schedule. We don't play Florida til Oct 4 this year. 5th game.

Reactions: 1 person
this may sound crazy to you, but i have a friend who is a tennessee fan that seriously wants florida to keep winning that game.

he hates alabama so much that he couldn't handle it if bama has a streak longer than anyone else. so, until tennessee ends the bama streak, he doesn't want to see the florida streak end.

i don't know if that makes sense to you or not.

in addition, he told me one time the florida streak has gone so long, he's hoping that florida can beat the bama streak of 11 in a row so that alabama doesn't have the honor of the longest streak anymore.

Yeah and its that kind of thinking that got the trees poisoned at Auburn....Wow...college football has some twisted thinking people....Man...just enjoy it for what it is and move on....I actually feel sorry for those types of people....it must be miserable being them....as I told a Memphis Tigers fan that once said his greatest joy in life was knowing the Tigers beat the Vols in football....WHAT A MISERABLE, MISERABLE LIFE YOU MUST PRACTICE???....he had to agree...

This "momentum" you're talking about was more a reflection of the fact that Florida was always the best opponent on our schedule every year, while we always looked good finishing up with back-to-back cupcake wins over Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

And, yes, we host Florida this year on October 4th - after we play two better teams (Oklahoma and Georgia) on the road. I think Florida will be an easy win for us, notwithstanding the irrational defeatism of cowardly Negavols like KBVOL.

Last edited:
I am not expecting a 10 win season until 2016. Between Fulmers last few years, Kiffin running off after one year and the disasters of Dooley this program was in terrible shape. It is going to take a little time to get it in shape. CBJ is doing a great job but as the old saying goes Rome wasn't built in a day.

After our record vs Florida the last generation,

Which logically has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of this years game...

I'm gonna have to see them actually win a few games and be competitive before I'm gonna actually predict a win vs Florida. I'll be hoping they win, pulling like hell they win.... but I won't believe they're gonna win VS FLORIDA, until I actually see it....

If you had to bet your retirement savings on the outcome of the Tennessee-Florida game, you're going to pick a disfunctional, poorly-coached team on the road coming off of a 4-7 season solely on the basis of a prior winning streak? Sorry, that's just stupid.

This "momentum" you're talking about was more a reflection of the fact that Florida was always the best opponent on our schedule every year, while we always looked good finishing up with back-to-back cupcake wins over Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

And, yes, we host Florida this year on October 4th - after we play two better teams (Oklahoma and Georgia) on the road. I think Florida will be an easy win for us, notwithstanding the irrational defeatism of cowardly Negavols like KBVOL.

You call kb irrational then indicate Florida will be an "easy" win.

Tennessee has beaten Florida by double digits once in the last 20 years.

I can't remember the last time Tennessee had an "easy" win over an sec team with a pulse.

There are big problems with both clubs right now.

Which logically has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of this years game...

If you had to bet your retirement savings on the outcome of the Tennessee-Florida game, you're going to pick a disfunctional, poorly-coached team on the road coming off of a 4-7 season solely on the basis of a prior winning streak? Sorry, that's just stupid.

Just to play devil's advocate.....

Why is Tennessee better?

Just to play devil's advocate.....

Why is Tennessee better?

The matchup looks somewhat even on paper, but that doesn't account for the fact that (1) the game will be played at Neyland Stadium - UT's first SEC home game of the year; and (2) Tennessee has far better coaching. An underrated aspect of "coaching" is year-to-year continuity, and the fact that we have the exact same assistant coaching staff we did last year should give us an advantage over a team trying to implement a new offense.

Personnel wise, I don't think Florida can keep up with our big-play offense. Our defense is still pretty lousy, but the infusion of speed arriving later this summer should limit the amount of broken plays and special teams touchdowns we gave up last year.

If you were an objective Las Vegas odds maker, woudn't you pick UT to win this game by about 7-10 points? I don't think it'll be close.

VN Store

Back