Was Manti Te'o in on it?

Did Manti know?

• Total voters
It's one thing for a college student to carry on a long-distance, online only relationship. A first round draft pick with a 7 figure salary isn't going to be able to keep that story going.

He could say they broke up, but people will eventually wonder why he's never seen with any women. If she "dies", then people will chalk up his bachelorhood to mourning.

Do not forget the fact that he is Mormon, as I think it must be considered when assessing and evaluating how Manti would have dealt both with women in general and, particularly, with Catholic women on ND's campus.

He might have actually been committed to saving his virginity until marriage. He might have actually had real feelings for this mirage. The person carrying out the hoax obviously had strong reasons to insist that Manti not visit, which might be where the car accident and cancer angles get introduced (these two things might lesson Manti's suspicion of unfaithfulness, while also increasing his deferring to her desires and insistence on not visiting).

It is highly convoluted, there is no questioning that. But, to say that Te'o somehow thought he would have needed this story, and knew he would need it 2-3 years in advance, is a stretch.

Oh yeah, there's also anecdotal evidence floating around the Internet that ND students saw him hooking up with girls.

And we all know there's no evidence like anecdotal Internet evidence.

Do not forget the fact that he is Mormon, as I think it must be considered when assessing and evaluating how Manti would have dealt both with women in general and, particularly, with Catholic women on ND's campus.

He might have actually been committed to saving his virginity until marriage. He might have actually had real feelings for this mirage. The person carrying out the hoax obviously had strong reasons to insist that Manti not visit, which might be where the car accident and cancer angles get introduced (these two things might lesson Manti's suspicion of unfaithfulness, while also increasing his deferring to her desires and insistence on not visiting).

It is highly convoluted, there is no questioning that. But, to say that Te'o somehow thought he would have needed this story, and knew he would need it 2-3 years in advance, is a stretch.

Being Mormon and Gay do not mix well.

they had a heisman voter on espn. he said he wanted his vote back because he was swayed by the sympathy to give t'eo the vote. so it is proven he had legit reason to lie for heisman exposure. he was the most decorated defense person in cfb history! if nothing else is true this is evidence proof he had reason.

Oh yeah, there's also anecdotal evidence floating around the Internet that ND students saw him hooking up with girls.

And we all know there's no evidence like anecdotal Internet evidence.

so now, not only is he either really dumb, a huge con, and/or gay, but he's a cheater as well...this should get interesting :popcorn:

mike n mike wwas awesome. first take starting hot!! they will be all on this! he obviously lied.

The biggest thing is there is a disconnect between the older generation and the younger generation...where nowadays the younger crowd knows about this internet stuff and knows it happens and the older crowd is having a hard time believing this type of stuff happens...when it does in fact happen

Also I think people are letting their "hate" for ND getting in the way and see this as a way to pile on manti and ND...what about manti's character has ever shown someone he would make this stuff up

they had a heisman voter on espn. he said he wanted his vote back because he was swayed by the sympathy to give t'eo the vote. so it is proven he had legit reason to lie for heisman exposure. he was the most decorated defense person in cfb history! if nothing else is true this is evidence proof he had reason.
I don't buy that angle at all.

This may be a case, as stated earlier, of a lie that got exposed and was too deep to recant. At some point or another, he was made aware of it all, and elected to continue on with it. It looks like he/they all knew it was a hoax prior to yesterday, which to me, makes the whole lot of them liars. Once you were made aware it was a scam, you should come out with it. Classic case of, "if it never comes out from someone else, we aint admitting squat".

For that I hold the University, the AD, Manti and his people accountable.

It may in fact be a sad deal that he got duped, but he certainly didn't have to continue the charade to "save face" and potentially obtain recognition for having a touching story. At least one voter has gone on record that it played a part in his vote.

In the end, I think they're all full of it and never thought they'd get called out.

Reactions: 1 person
The biggest thing is there is a disconnect between the older generation and the younger generation...where nowadays the younger crowd knows about this internet stuff and knows it happens and the older crowd is having a hard time believing this type of stuff happens...when it does in fact happen

bull****.

Lack of common sense is the disconnect here, not that internet relationships begin by the 1000's on a daily basis.

Also I think people are letting their "hate" for ND getting in the way and see this as a way to pile on manti and ND...what about manti's character has ever shown someone he would make this stuff up

a lot of his character (at least national perception of his character) is based off the fact that he continued to date this girl while she was struggling with leukemia

Reactions: 1 person
so the heisman voter is making it up?

No. The Heisman voter is just an idiot. :lol:

What I meant was, I don't think the intent was really to perpetrate an elaborate hoax starting 3 years ago for a Heisman candidacy this year. I think he got duped and went overboard trying to save face and it all got out of control. The key though is when did he know he was being duped?

who the hell sits on a phone talking and praying for hours and hours throughout the night, day after day, for weeks, maybe months, for a damn hoax.
Gotta be kidding me.
Like I said, if they investigated, then they should have phone records for those conversations and they should know who was supposedly on the other end of the line, if those calls even ever happened.
If they did, we should hear the name of the girl on the other line within 24 hours. My guess is we won't hear anything.

VN Store

Back