Von Pearson comparable to Cordarrelle Patterson? Video

You guys are smoking that Rocky Top stuff. Say what you want about Bray but he was a beast physically. CP had Brays arm. Most of his damage was after the catch or returns. Pearson is pure receiver, but without a quality QB, bets are off.

I used to wonder that often.
Anymore I just chalk it up to Dooley being Dooley. It makes it easier to cope with the truth.

True.

This thread has me thinking about that game to start the season in the Georgia Dome. That was one of the funnest nights I've ever had. The kid was ridiculous.

If Von is anywhere neat the play maker CP was, it's gonna be a good ride. Better enjoy every second of it.

VP 's moves are a little different. It seems like his power in his legs are a little less than Patterson's and he uses spin moves to carry momentum after contact. He also uses the foot plant a little more effectively as Sutton discovered. CP would power through a tackle but was able to stop on a dime using more lower body power equating to uncanny balance. This would cause people to over pursue him and he would dance with them until he could accelerate away. Not sure VP has that acceleration and top speed but I can't wait to see him in action. Looks like his routes could use some polish in highlight film but great hands and not afraid of contact.

Here to settle it maybe VP route running will be better. Maybe his hands. But over all help to the team no way he compares to CP! Just no way. For one he probably will not be returning kicks so that takes away a ton. And I really don't think any body in the last 10 year or the next 10 will compare to CP in the open field just won't happen. For CP to score a receiving td a rushing td kick return and punt return in one and only season in the SEC is unreal!

Reactions: 1 person
You guys don't get it. Pearson is a stud. But without a quality QB, ain't gonna happen. I have not written off that Butch and staff will pull it off. But til then, well you know about the vol curse.

I can see your point of view but I disagree for three reasons.

One, if you had an "all-madden" all tennessee team to pick and that you would not consider CP for one of your WR's or kick returners you are kidding yourself. He was a first rounder and will be successful for years to come.

Second, he might of been a one and done but he did choose our school in a very dark period for us. He was an elite talent included in a very small minority of our players all-time. There have been many greats come through our school in my time as I am in my 40's and not many if any surpass his open field ability. I have seen many come through in person for over thirty years and had class with some so I feel safe in my evaluation.

Third, our school has his name plastered all over the place in the locker room and training center so they obviously disagree. Recent people know his name well as do recruits and he is used as a selling tool for our University.

Patterson was very good but he would not make the all 90s team much less all time. Harper, Pickens, and Price were all better receivers, maybe not athletes, but receivers. Ever see Dale Carter return kicks?

Specifically, in open field running.

I'm not suggesting that he is nor am I advocating it. I just wanted to open a thread and see what peoples thoughts are on it.

I saw it mentioned the other day and some people were stating it might not happen again in 15+ years.

However, I just saw this video for the first time and it is eerily similar to CP's before he got to UT.

This guy is amazingly shifty, breaks tackles and has a great first step.

Thoughts?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/oxkzvZsNZwU[/youtube]

The only difference is CP would have scored on every single one of those plays. :dance:

Looks slow

HJWawLk.gif

CP played a fat total of 12 games at Tennessee - love the kid, but you can't realistically put him in the same class as Manning or Reggie.

I'm not saying he is or will be, but his moves, the way he shifts in stride, cuts back and changes direction looks so similar to how CP would run.

Agreed. He is an outstanding cutback runner and, like Patterson, he appears to be a glider, one who is rarely, if ever, caught from behind. In terms of physical build, however, Pearson is much more similar to Justin Hunter.

If he goes to his classes, even a few of them, hell, even ONE of them, he and CP are totally different!

Reactions: 3 people
He appears to have what we in the business call "excellent field vision".

No telling really. But I am already excited to see VP in the screen game. Just bubble him out behind big ol Croom and let him blaze a trail for VP to juke down.

I do see similarities, but a lot of these plays where Von is brought down, CP would've taken to the house.

I can remember the drops,the time he stood at midfield with his hands spread out,watching an opposing player who had interceped the ball run down the field.
you all building CP up so much you are loseing your preception of what he actually was.that was just a good player and nothing more.

I can remember the drops,the time he stood at midfield with his hands spread out,watching an opposing player who had interceped the ball run down the field.
you all building CP up so much you are loseing your preception of what he actually was.that was just a good player and nothing more.

I would argue that he was much more of a freak athlete than a good football player. Not the most sound receiver fundamentally but athletic enough to beat the other guy anyway

He was better than "just good"...he was explosive and unique...but your point is correct in that his disciples keep adding half a decade to his greatness scale :blink:
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't want to speak for Volly but I mostly agree with her. He had some great plays especially in the open field. He was a great talent but we didn't really get a great season or career from him.

Normally I would agree, but if he sits atop this list, I have to call him a "great," one-and-done or not.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: 2 people
Normally I would agree, but if he sits atop this list, I have to call him a "great," one-and-done or not.

Unless my math is wrong CP averaged 18.77 yards every time he touched the ball and scored a TD 1 out of every 10 times he had a chance.

That's...pretty good.

VN Store

Back