Vols to renew series with Memphis in 2018

Further evidence nobody cares about what happened 30 years ago, or even 20...there's a good reason why schools like Butler and Northwestern are torching Memphis on the recruiting trail...current recruits know them as the better programs.

You really harp on 20-30 years ago-does that apply to Tennessee football too?

The ONLY reason we are not recruiting is TUBBY SMITH. If Buzz Williams, Ray Forbes, or any other good recruiter had been hired we would have a Top 25 class at the very least. Pastner piled those up but couldn't coach them or keep them.

You really harp on 20-30 years ago-does that apply to Tennessee football too?

The ONLY reason we are not recruiting is TUBBY SMITH. If Buzz Williams, Ray Forbes, or any other good recruiter had been hired we would have a Top 25 class at the very least. Pastner piled those up but couldn't coach them or keep them.

I've already said it applies, it's why Tennessee fans are mostly ready for Butch to go...they realize if all you have is history then you've got nothing, about time Tiger fans realize that as well.

Who's Ray Forbes?

Pastner sure seemed to do ok coaching at Georgia Tech, hmmm.

I've already said it applies, it's why Tennessee fans are mostly ready for Butch to go...they realize if all you have is history then you've got nothing, about time Tiger fans realize that as well.

Who's Ray Forbes?

Damn I'm glad you like Barnes. Life would be brutal round here. lol

I have always said that UT should only play Memphis in football if they agree to play in basketball, and I am an alum of both schools. I would love to see games here.

But the scheduling requirements in football have now changed the landscape. SEC teams have to play a power 5 OOC opponent, which means either a neutral game or home and home. That means every other OOC game will be at home. I don't think UT will play at Memphis anytime soon in football. I am happy to see that there is talk of a basketball series.

Further evidence nobody cares about what happened 30 years ago, or even 20...there's a good reason why schools like Butler and Northwestern are torching Memphis on the recruiting trail...current recruits know them as the better programs.

Is that why Memphis is ranked ahead of both of them in 24/7 composite rankings for 2017? They are not "torching" anyone:

Memphis #59
Butler #60
Northwestern Not in Top 100 (have signed one 3 star)

UT was #55.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

Who's Ray Forbes?

He was "asked" in his contract to hire an acceptable X/O coach. Plus the kids he will have at GT are more amendable to his coaching style. His disciplinary standards are on par with Duke, Stanford, Harvard, etc. Steve Forbes (I played ball with Ray Forbes ; nothing D1)

He was "asked" in his contract to hire an acceptable X/O coach. Plus the kids he will have at GT are more amendable to his coaching style. His disciplinary standards are on par with Duke, Stanford, Harvard, etc. Steve Forbes (I played ball with Ray Forbes ; nothing D1)

Hmm, sounds like just another thing against the Memphis AD, maybe they should've required Pastner do the same? Kinda like not letting Tubby dictate schedules for multiple sports?

He conveniently omitted that, wonder why.

Asnswer two posts with one: Our AD Tom Bowen is on thin ice and has applied for every P5 opening for the last year. Plum job at Memphis: committee hires FB coaches since the Porter fiasco-they have done well-Justin Fuente who did a great job at Memohis and a very good job at VT last season and Mike Norvell who is recruiting better than Justin and has a very deep offense this season. Committee recommends, Boosters say yea or nay. Bowen figurehead in FB.

In BB, his only hire was Tubby which made no sense at all. He also gave Pastner the crazy 7 year contract. Neither a good fit. His only major duty besides scheduling which is a mess.

If Butler is such a hot basketball program, why didn't the 4 star kid stay? You can't count him on Butler's recruiting because he won't be playing there next year. That should go without saying.

Who's Ray Forbes?

really? you think Memphis fans would be happy with 17 regular season wins and an NIT run?

I'm glad he found a place and a program where that's good enough.

Is that why Memphis is ranked ahead of both of them in 24/7 composite rankings for 2017? They are not "torching" anyone:

Memphis #59
Butler #60
Northwestern Not in Top 100 (have signed one 3 star)

UT was #55.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

Memphis is also hiring former LSU Interim Head Coach, Butch Pierre, as 'recruiting coordinator'. He recruited Glen Davis to LSU and Marcus Smart to OKState.

he'll be the point man for local High School and AAU coaches to go through. He'll also run on campus visits.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...date-join-memphis-basketball-staff/415349001/

Pierre, an assistant coach at North Carolina State this past season, would take over the spot vacated by former director of player personnel Keelon Lawson, who left Memphis when his sons, Dedric and K.J., elected to transfer to Kansas in April.

Memphis associate athletic director Mark Alnutt confirmed the university began the human resource process with a candidate last week and hopes to have the position filled soon. He declined to comment specifically on Pierre.

The addition of Pierre, 54, would bring a well-known recruiter with ties throughout the country to Coach Tubby Smith’s staff.

247 Sports first reported Pierre as a candidate to join the staff at Memphis. Pierre did not return a telephone message seeking comment.

Smith said in April he is considering changing Lawson’s director of player personnel role into a recruiting coordinator position. That would mean Pierre could interact with high school and grassroots basketball coaches, but he would not be able to contact recruits off-campus.

Kudos to Tubby for seeing his weakness and taking action to fix it as the all-important 2018 and 2019 classes are quickly approaching.

really? you think Memphis fans would be happy with 17 regular season wins and an NIT run?

Yes because 17 wins in the ACC aid equivalent to 17 wins in mid-major AAC, lulz...there's a reason GT made the NIT and Memphis nothing.

Yes because 17 wins in the ACC aid equivalent to 17 wins in mid-major AAC, lulz...there's a reason GT made the NIT and Memphis nothing.

I don't think you get it...

we're not going to be happy with an NIT period and end of story.

17 win regular seasons and NIT runs may be good enough for GTech...we run off coaches for that.

Memphis is also hiring former LSU Interim Head Coach, Butch Pierre, as 'recruiting coordinator'. He recruited Glen Davis to LSU and Marcus Smart to OKState.

he'll be the point man for local High School and AAU coaches to go through. He'll also run on campus visits.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...date-join-memphis-basketball-staff/415349001/

Kudos to Tubby for seeing his weakness and taking action to fix it as the all-important 2018 and 2019 classes are quickly approaching.

^ and as I pointed out....Tubby has now taken steps to fix his recruiting issues.

oh, Memphis won the Alumni game by double digits.

UT only had 6 players show up. Tubby was there hanging with Penny Hardaway

I don't think you get it...

we're not going to be happy with an NIT period and end of story.

17 win regular seasons and NIT runs may be good enough for GTech...we run off coaches for that.

Tubby will deserve COY recognition this year if he gets this Tiger squad to the NIT, be careful what you wish for.

He didn't have half the talent that he had on most of his Memphis teams. Can't really compare that. But it does seem he added an assistant that is better at on floor coaching.

Tubby will deserve COY recognition this year if he gets this Tiger squad to the NIT.

it won't be his first or last time...

1994 and 1995 - MVC coach of the year
1998, 2003, and 2005 - SEC coach of the year
2003 - AP coach of the year
2003 - Naismith College Coach of the Year
2003 - NABC Coach of the Year
2016 - Big 12 coach of the year
2016 - Sporting New coach of the year
2016 - John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Award

:cool2:

it won't be his first or last time...

1994 and 1995 - MVC coach of the year