Vols to renew series with Memphis in 2018

Actually, if you take out the Derrick Rose year (which is fair since he shouldn't have been eligible), UT has more tourney wins than Memphis in the last 20 years.

why shouldn't he be eligible? the NCAA cleared him TWICE...why even have an 'NCAA clearing house' then?

Did you even read the post? Those names were not brought up to disparage UofM. They were brought up to emphasize a point that Tennessee hasn't recruited Memphis well.

I never said it was...I simply pointed out many of our fans (on both sides) live in the past.

I think Vol fans are ready for this upcoming season, how about Tiger fans?

while I expect the same results (19 Ws), I'm curious to see a team full of Tubby kids.

Last seasons squad had talent with the Lawson's and Crawford...but Tubby didn't recruit a single one of them, and it showed. The Lawson's were still mad daddy got demoted, while Crawford wanted to follow Pastner but GaTech wasn't interested.

it was a group of individuals...I want a team.

this squad has one four-star player in Jamal Johnson (see link below), a good PG in Jeremiah Martin...and a bunch of role players.

https://memphis.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2017

the thing is, none of our big players are seniors, and we're hot on Alex Lomax (and I think he's hot on us)...take this squad, give em a season of experience, and add in Alex Lomax (see below)...I think we'll be in good shape for 2018-19 when we resume the series.

http://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Lomax-92337

why shouldn't he be eligible? the NCAA cleared him TWICE...why even have an 'NCAA clearing house' then?

Because the NCAA found out Derrick couldnt spell DOG if you spotted him the D and the O. Most schools didnt recruit Rose due to academics (even Kelvin Sampson at IU backed away and he cheated whenever he could).

With that said, you all did get screwed by NCAA. UNC can get away with 2 decades of academic fraud.

Because the NCAA found out Derrick couldnt spell DOG if you spotted him the D and the O. Most schools didnt recruit Rose due to academics (even Kelvin Sampson at IU backed away and he cheated whenever he could).

With that said, you all did get screwed by NCAA. UNC can get away with 2 decades of academic fraud.

oh come on, UT just had to fire 2 head coaches for lying to the NCAA...glass houses and such.

as for the rest, yep, that's the difference between the ACC and the AAC.

while I expect the same results (19 Ws), I'm curious to see a team full of Tubby kids.

Last seasons squad had talent with the Lawson's and Crawford...but Tubby didn't recruit a single one of them, and it showed. The Lawson's were still mad daddy got demoted, while Crawford wanted to follow Pastner but GaTech wasn't interested.

this squad has one four-star player in Jamal Johnson (see link below), a good PG in Jeremiah Martin...and a bunch of role players.

the thing is, none of our big players are seniors, and we're hot on Alex Lomax (and I think he's hot on us)...take this squad, give em a season of experience, and add in Alex Lomax (see below)...I think we'll be in good shape for 2018-19 when we resume the series.

1. If Tubby wins 19 with that squad he'll deserve COY consideration and I'll gladly change my avi to a picture of him.

2. Alex Lomax is a 3*, expecting him to come in and be some sort of savior as a freshman seems a bit foolish.

Good luck.

1. If Tubby wins 19 with thiat squad I'll change my avi to a picture of him.

2. Alex Lomax is a 3*, expecting him to come in and be some sort of savior as a freshman seems a bit foolish.

Good luck.

I clicked that link multiple times and I see four stars there...moreover, he's TN Mr Basketball...I don't expect any one kid to do it alone. But take Jamal Johnson, give him Alex Lomax and a Senior Jeremiah Martin...yeah, OK. I'll take that squad.

as for Tubby winning 19. I guess you haven't seen our schedule.

Alabama (neutral court), LSU (who went 10-21), Albany, Siena, UALR, New Orleans, Bryant, Mercer, Samford, Loyola-MD, @UAB...East Carolinax2, South Floridax2, Tulanex2, Tulsax2, UCF at home...we scheduled accordingly for this squad.

I have Memphis 10-3 OOC...8-10 in AAC play...1-1 AAC tourney 19-14 (no post season)

Last edited:
oh come on, UT just had to fire 2 head coaches for lying to the NCAA...glass houses and such.

as for the rest, yep, that's the difference between the ACC and the AAC.

Regarding Tubby...

The only way you can win enough at Memphis is to operate in the (blue and) gray area (Cal and Dana Kirk) or bring in a generational local player (Finch/Penny). Tubby wont operate in the gray area and he's not interested in the elite local prospects. I dont see how this ends well for him.

Regarding the glass house comnent, Im not oblivious to the Pearl regime either. I think you gotta put those rocks down as well due to the 2 vacated FINAL 4s.

Regarding Tubby...

The only way you can win enough at Memphis is to operate in the (blue and) gray area (Cal and Dana Kirk) or bring in a generational local player (Finch/Penny). Tubby wont operate in the gray area and he's not interested in the elite local prospects. I dont see how this ends well for him.

Regarding the glass house comnent, Im not oblivious to the Pearl regime either. I think you gotta put those rocks down as well due to the 2 vacated FINAL 4s.

It's why we're in our current state. This administration has made it clear Memphis won't walk that path again because the NCAA will not be as forgiving a 3rd time around.

say what you want, but Tubby and Pastner are like squeaky clean. That's what we want now at Memphis.

Tubby has an NCAA title, he's taken 3 programs to the Sweet 16, and 5 programs to the NCAA tourney. I think he can get it done at Memphis...and get it done the right way.

I'm willing to give 'clean' Memphis a try. (not all Memphis fans are...and they're vocal about it. the anti-Pastner crowd has simply become anti-Tubby)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I clicked that link multiple times and I see four stars there...moreover, he's TN Mr Basketball...I don't expect any one kid to do it alone. But take Jamal Johnson, give him Alex Lomax and a Senior Jeremiah Martin...yeah, OK. I'll take that squad.

as for Tubby winning 19. I guess you haven't seen our schedule.

Alabama (neutral court), LSU (who went 10-21), Albany, Siena, UALR, New Orleans, Bryant, Mercer, Samford, Loyola-MD, @UAB...East Carolinax2, South Floridax2, Tulanex2, Tulsax2, UCF at home...we scheduled accordingly for this squad.

I have Memphis 10-3 OOC...8-10 in AAC play...1-1 AAC tourney 19-14 (no post season)

1. Lomax is a composite 4*, yet 247, Rivals and Scout all have him as a 3*, that should tell you all you need to know about the composite rankings.

2. Murderer's row y'all got there...still, even with that schedule resembling something out of the MVC, I don't see 19 wins.

Memphis was also after Matt Stanley, until he opted for the D2 school over the Tigers :rofl: In other words, let me know when Tubby actually lands those guys.

Memphis was also after Matt Stanley, until he opted for the D2 school over the Tigers :rofl: In other words, let me know when Tubby actually lands those guys.

I'll admit, I REALLY don't like Saul Smith.

he embarrassed his dad at Minny with a DUI, and if he had just taken the 'Dir of Basketball Ops' job for 100k and let Keelon Lawson stay on as Asst Coach...we would still have the Lawson's.

then offering that kid without getting the OK from Tubby...he's the gift that keeps on giving.

Tubby's oldest is HC at Loyola-MD...I really hope GG Smith decides to hire Saul away from us to be Assoc HC or something....plz god!

Reactions: 1 person
I'll just say this and not get in the nana boo-boo stuff but my best friends son is on Tubbys staff and he's GREATLY CONCERNED....and I certainly understand why. In fact his dad has STRONGLY encouraged him to look for "other" opportunities. But I like Tubby and hope and can have some success there. Just not when Tigers plays the Vols.

I only post this since we're talking it about but according to the twitters, lol...Memphis is hiring former LSU Assoc HC and later LSU interim HC Butch Pierre...to be 'recruiting coordinator'

Saul Smith will now be an asst coach who doesn't recruit, and Butch Pierre will be a staff member who recruits...OK then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Pierre

he was on Mark Gottfrieds NC State staff, so NC State will be paying most of his salary for the next 2 years.

-------------------------------------------------------
Jonah Jordan‏ @_JonahJordan 33m33 minutes ago

Sources say former LSU, Oklahoma State and N.C. State assistant Butch Pierre is the front runner for the open Memphis Tiger staff position.

Jonah Jordan‏ @_JonahJordan 31m31 minutes ago

Pierre is widely regarded as an excellent recruiter. Recruited Marcus Smart and Le'Bryan Nash at OK State.

Fits with the time frame, since most assistant coach contracts run July 1st to June 30th.

Last edited:
I'll admit, I REALLY don't like Saul Smith.

he embarrassed his dad at Minny with a DUI, and if he had just taken the 'Dir of Basketball Ops' job for 100k and let Keelon Lawson stay on as Asst Coach...we would still have the Lawson's.

then offering that kid without getting the OK from Tubby...he's the gift that keeps on giving.

Tubby's oldest is HC at Loyola-MD...I really hope GG Smith decides to hire Saul away from us to be Assoc HC or something....plz god!

Tubby should be embarrassed for making Saul his starting point guard at the university of Kentucky... Just another guy riding his daddies coat tail.

Most people's thinking has always involved counting the number of recruiting hot spots closer to Knoxville than Memphis, and also listing the number of programs closer to Memphis than UT. I don't know if Shelby county has ever done a study, but I have heard plenty of people assert there are more college educated people living there with diplomas from Ole Miss than Tennessee.

I don't know if it is logical reasoning or other motivations, but most feel Memphis is an area we should only go into if there is a 5 star prospect. If you don't establish a recruiting presence there, you won't get them.

Back a few years ago, I believe the Vols played one home football game every year in the Liberty Bowl. And I am sure they had a reasonable explanation for why that stopped. However, I believe that is a big reason why Memphis seems more difficult to recruit. Restoring the basketball series seems a step in the right direction though.

We could get into this annual debate about the city of Memphis, but there are a ton of UT fans here. Most are alums as well. I don't know if you can quantify the number of OM diplomas versus UT diplomas, but it doesn't really matter. There are still a large number of UT fans.

That said, it will always be a struggle for UT to recruit Memphis. Aside from the hometown loyalty that every school has to deal with, distance is a reason.

With Tubby not being able to recruit the city as well, there is a window that is opening. UT also has to have several years of good basketball to show recruits that success can be sustained.

Reactions: 2 people

I hate to break it to you, but Alex Lomax is still not the level of player that Memphis is used to. You guys are lowering your expectations, kind of like what some of us did during the Dooley years.

I really like Tubby as a coach, but he has to figure out how to recruit better players.

I hate to break it to you, but Alex Lomax is still not the level of player that Memphis is used to. You guys are lowering your expectations, kind of like what some of us did during the Dooley years.

I really like Tubby as a coach, but he has to figure out how to recruit better players.

I don't expect Tubby to recruit like Calipari...that's just not who Tubby is.

Tubby wants 3-4 year kind of guys who he feels he can mold, and will be team players. Those kinds of kids are often 3 or 4 star recruits...not one-and-done talents.

kids like Jamal Johnson, Alex Lomax, Connor Vanover, and Jeremiah Johnson are the kind of kids Tubby can win with.

Tubby wants 3-4 year kind of guys who he feels he can mold, and will be team players. Those kinds of kids are often 3 or 4 star recruits...not one-and-done talents.

kids like Jamal Johnson, Alex Lomax, Connor Vanover, and Jeremiah Johnson are the kind of kids Tubby can win with.

Tennessee has made four sweet sixteens since the last time Tubby made a sweet sixteen. He's not going to do much at memphis

You don't have to recruit like Calipari and still recruit well. Just ask Pastner. If Josh had an assistant who could teach X's and O's he would still probably be at Memphis.

You still need players, especially if you want to get past the first round of the NCAAT.

VN Store

Back