Vols to renew series with Memphis in 2018

Tennessee has made four sweet sixteens since the last time Tubby made a sweet sixteen. He's not going to do much at memphis

hell, at this point I'd take 21-23 wins, and knocking off UCLA in the first round of the NCAA tourney with Memphis kids like Austin and Andre Hollins...like Tubby did at Minny.

it would be a vast improvement over the past 3 seasons.

after that he can ride off into the sunset (retirement) saying he took 6 teams to the NCAA tournament and fixed Memphis basketball. Tubby turns 66 at the end of this month, he's not a long term solution IMHO.

Last edited:
I have to wonder just how deep the hole is you guys have to climb out of. Seems like a step up and two slides down.

Regarding Tubby...

The only way you can win enough at Memphis is to operate in the (blue and) gray area (Cal and Dana Kirk) or bring in a generational local player (Finch/Penny). Tubby wont operate in the gray area and he's not interested in the elite local prospects. I dont see how this ends well for him.

Regarding the glass house comnent, Im not oblivious to the Pearl regime either. I think you gotta put those rocks down as well due to the 2 vacated FINAL 4s.

Nobody looks up vacated F4's except folks trying to make a point and average fan doesn't care.

As for comparing UT's NCAA tourney record to Memphis, there is really no comparison:

S16's Memphis 11 UT 6
E8's Memphis 6 UT 1
F4's Memphis 3 UT 0
NC games Memphis 2 UT 0

Tigers are finishing on a 70,000 sq ft training facility for Basketball which will be in Top 5 in Nation; will be completed in October. This facility was possible due to $10M contribution from Bill and Nancy Walton Laurie (Walmart heir). This from WMC channel 5:

"It may not look like much now, but by early October, the University of Memphis might have one of the most impressive basketball training facilities in the country.

"Steve Bauer is the president of construction for Nations Group, the company building the Tigers' newest athletics investment.
If you ask him, there is no might. This is the best in all of college basketball.
"We have toured a number of other facilities of top-flight programs, including Indiana, Missouri, UCLA," Bauer said. "There is nothing that is going to top this."
At a little over 70,000 square feet, the new practice facility is double the size of the Tigers’ current practice facility;"

The FedEx Forum is generally acknowledged to be one of the top 10 NBA arenas and is great for CBB-if you remember #1 Memphis Vs #2 Tennessee (Cal vs Pearl). Memphis also has a good amount of really good college players coming out most years; some high rated and some 2-3 stars that are just tough and have the heart to win. So this is a easy job if you can handle the scrutiny and expectations of the fans.

On the other hand, Memphis BB is in dire straits right now due to 2 bad coaching hires back to back by admin and boosters. We have NEVER made two bad coaching hires back to back in basketball.

First, turning over the keys to a Lamborghini to a 31 kid with no head coaching experience when Cal left. Although Pastner had an overall record of 167–73 and went to NCAA tourney 4 of 7 years and would have went a 5th time when Austin Nichols was injured and missed approx last 8-10 games. Just couldn't handle players. Would not listen to advice to hire tough X/O coach. I personally know of several knowledgeable CBB people who told him this several times.

That record and number of NCAA tourney trips would have kept his job at 98% of High D1 schools. Then, they compounded the coaching selection mistakes by hiring Tubby Smith. Known as Double Digit Tubby (for losses) he has:

won one NCAA tourney game in 10 years
last went to a S16 12 years ago at KY
not finished over .500 in his conference since 12 years at KY (9-7)
Not recruited a Top 100 player in 6 years
will be 71 at the end of his contract

It is obvious this is his last (and highest paying @ $3M yr) gig and he is basically snubbing Tiger fans saying I'm going to do this my way (like we did at Minnesota, and Texas Tech-two of the worst jobs with lowest expectations in D1). Recruit unheard of kids and go 19-14 and try to sneak into tourney. Problem is 19-14 in AAC WILL NOT get you a bid.

Tubby hired his son Saul and broke a promise to Daddy Lawson made by our incompetent AD that he would be assistant coach as long as his son(s) were here.

Attendance will be down dramatically this year and I think due to all the new players (even with the easy schedule), Tubby will do well to finish .500.

As far as playing UT in basketball, when Tubby is fired in the next two years, the new coach and new AD will make it a stipulation we play one BB game home and home for each Home and Home FB game (hard for UT to do with 10 conference games). Even this upcoming basketball series would not have been scheduled except for the friendship between the coaches.

Just a realistic fan's perspective of Tiger BB and the relationship with UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Nobody outside of Memphis cares what Memphis did 20+ years ago, most kids don't start paying attention to basketball from a competitive standpoint until they are probably at least 9 or 10. That means the current high school recruits who are 16,17&18 years old have seen Memphis the last 7-9 years...please tell me what exactly the Tigers have done in that window that's better than Tennessee? Nobody talks about how great Texas Western was, there's a reason for that, history is just that...it becomes irrelevant after a certain amount of time.

So Tubby has more control than the AD? That is interesting.

Nobody looks up vacated F4's except folks trying to make a point and average fan doesn't care.

As for comparing UT's NCAA tourney record to Memphis, there is really no comparison:

S16's Memphis 11 UT 6
E8's Memphis 6 UT 1
F4's Memphis 3 UT 0
NC games Memphis 2 UT 0

Tigers are finishing on a 70,000 sq ft training facility for Basketball which will be in Top 5 in Nation; will be completed in October. This facility was possible due to $10M contribution from Bill and Nancy Walton Laurie (Walmart heir). This from WMC channel 5:

"It may not look like much now, but by early October, the University of Memphis might have one of the most impressive basketball training facilities in the country.

"Steve Bauer is the president of construction for Nations Group, the company building the Tigers' newest athletics investment.
If you ask him, there is no might. This is the best in all of college basketball.
"We have toured a number of other facilities of top-flight programs, including Indiana, Missouri, UCLA," Bauer said. "There is nothing that is going to top this."
At a little over 70,000 square feet, the new practice facility is double the size of the Tigers’ current practice facility;"

The FedEx Forum is generally acknowledged to be one of the top 10 NBA arenas and is great for CBB-if you remember #1 Memphis Vs #2 Tennessee (Cal vs Pearl). Memphis also has a good amount of really good college players coming out most years; some high rated and some 2-3 stars that are just tough and have the heart to win. So this is a easy job if you can handle the scrutiny and expectations of the fans.

On the other hand, Memphis BB is in dire straits right now due to 2 bad coaching hires back to back by admin and boosters. We have NEVER made two bad coaching hires back to back in basketball.

First, turning over the keys to a Lamborghini to a 31 kid with no head coaching experience when Cal left. Although Pastner had an overall record of 167–73 and went to NCAA tourney 4 of 7 years and would have went a 5th time when Austin Nichols was injured and missed approx last 8-10 games. Just couldn't handle players. Would not listen to advice to hire tough X/O coach. I personally know of several knowledgeable CBB people who told him this several times.

That record and number of NCAA tourney trips would have kept his job at 98% of High D1 schools. Then, they compounded the coaching selection mistakes by hiring Tubby Smith. Known as Double Digit Tubby (for losses) he has:

It is obvious this is his last (and highest paying @ $3M yr) gig and he is basically snubbing Tiger fans saying I'm going to do this my way (like we did at Minnesota, and Texas Tech-two of the worst jobs with lowest expectations in D1). Recruit unheard of kids and go 19-14 and try to sneak into tourney. Problem is 19-14 in AAC WILL NOT get you a bid.

Tubby hired his son Saul and broke a promise to Daddy Lawson made by our incompetent AD that he would be assistant coach as long as his son(s) were here.

Attendance will be down dramatically this year and I think due to all the new players (even with the easy schedule), Tubby will do well to finish .500.

As far as playing UT in basketball, when Tubby is fired in the next two years, the new coach and new AD will make it a stipulation we play one BB game home and home for each Home and Home FB game (hard for UT to do with 10 conference games). Even this upcoming basketball series would not have been scheduled except for the friendship between the coaches.

Tennessee doesn't play 10 conference games. In my opinion, it should be 4 basketball games, 2 home - 2 away, for every football series 1 home - 1 away. Both schools make more money on the football deal, and Memphis' share comes at Tennessee's expense. Memphis fans don't have to like that fact, but it's simply just the economics of it.

Nobody outside of Memphis cares what Memphis did 20+ years ago, most kids don't start paying attention to basketball from a competitive standpoint until they are probably at least 9 or 10. That means the current high school recruits who are 16,17&18 years old have seen Memphis the last 7-9 years...please tell me what exactly the Tigers have done in that window that's better than Tennessee? Nobody talks about how great Texas Western was, there's a reason for that, history is just that...it becomes irrelevant after a certain amount of time.

So Tubby has more control than the AD? That is interesting.

Same as UT-today's kids don't remember Pearl but Memphis was a brand during Cal years-UT never had that. Neither are the top of most HS top players list.

I didn't say he had more control than Tubby but the AD at Memphis has to deal with a couple of boosters and the Prez that get involved.

Tennessee doesn't play 10 conference games. In my opinion, it should be 4 basketball games, 2 home - 2 away, for every football series 1 home - 1 away. Both schools make more money on the football deal, and Memphis' share comes at Tennessee's expense. Memphis fans don't have to like that fact, but it's simply just the economics of it.

Isn't 10 conference games on the table for discusion for SEC?

S16's Memphis 11 UT 6
E8's Memphis 6 UT 1
F4's Memphis 3 UT 0
NC games Memphis 2 UT 0

Hell, u brought it with your 1st post. U didn't sugarcoat it, on either side. Yea, everybody remembers the final 4s, and the should have been NC, may Mario Chalmers burn in hell. JK, I was for Kansas. If I was Tiger High, I would steal Bruce from Auburn before he ruins his resume. It probably doesn't matter, somebody will get it right in Memphis, again, very soon. UT better let sleeping Tigers lie. With the upgrade in the practice facilities and the recruiting base, I expect Memphis to return to a top 10 team, as soon as Tubby is gone

Last edited:

I do not disagree with the 4/2.

Isn't 10 conference games on the table for discusion for SEC?

Not sure, but it would only leave 2 available spots for OOC games. That would be tough to schedule decent PIC opponents when you have to play 10 SEC opponents each year. I hope they don't do that. I could see 9 maybe.

Same as UT-today's kids don't remember Pearl but Memphis was a brand during Cal years-UT never had that. Neither are the top of most HS top players list.

I didn't say he had more control than Tubby but the AD at Memphis has to deal with a couple of boosters and the Prez that get involved.

Compare both programs the last 10 seasons, Tennessee has had the better decade...you're saying Tubby is why the series is happening, that's pathetic if your HC that hasn't proven anything dictates who the school is going to schedule without a regard for the other sports.

Compare both programs the last 10 seasons, Tennessee has had the better decade...you're saying Tubby is why the series is happening, that's pathetic if your HC that hasn't proven anything dictates who the school is going to schedule without a regard for the other sports.

It is the only decade you've ever had that was worth writing home about. Prior to this decade, you have never won more than one game in the tourney except winning 2 in 2000.

And I said his friendship with Barnes is the reason for the series. It's not official yet to my understanding.

Last edited:
It is the only decade you've ever had that was worth writing home about. Prior to this decade, you have never won more than one game in the tourney except winning 2 in 2000.

And I said his friendship with Barnes is the reason for the series. It's not official yet to my understanding.

And again, what has happened recently is all that matters to recruits...look at how Northwestern is now being viewed? Look at Butler as well? I'm sure there are many more examples if I thought about it for awhile. All those schools are more appealing than Memphis or Tennessee at this point, no 17 year old kid outside of Memphis cares about the Kirk & Finch years.

And again, what has happened recently is all that matters to recruits...look at how Northwestern is now being viewed? Look at Butler as well? I'm sure there are many more examples if I thought about it for awhile. All those schools are more appealing than Memphis or Tennessee at this point, no 17 year old kid outside of Memphis cares about the Kirk & Finch years.

To your point, few kids currently being recruited even associate Cal with having been at Memphis. Those kids were 8, 9, 10 years old when he left Bluff City. His profile has gotten so much larger at Kentucky, that it grossly overshadows his time at UM.

Tubby should be embarrassed for making Saul his starting point guard at the university of Kentucky... Just another guy riding his daddies coat tail.

No worse than Bruce Pearl playing 6'5" Steven Pearl as the first forward off the bench instead of future all conference 6'7" rebounding machine Jeronne Maymon.

No worse than Bruce Pearl playing 6'5" Steven Pearl as the first forward off the bench instead of future all conference 6'7" rebounding machine Jeronne Maymon.

To be fair, in Maymon's first year as a Vol, he felt he was more of a perimeter player and his play reflected as much. He wasn't very good. Not that Pearl was any better, but he at least knew and accepted his role.

Based on your logic, TN football is in the crapper given a less than desirable decade. In past 10 years, 5 losing seasons, only 2 post season Top 25 rankings (both 22cd last 2 seasons, missed going to bowls, etc).

I think history is important in many areas and UT is by far a better FB program and Memphis by far a better BB program. Memphis was ranked 19th best CBB program in past 50 years by ESPN in 2012 and would have been 15th if not for point deductions for Kirk and Rose probations. And don't believe for a minute that the kids Are making the decision on where to go; in most cases, they don't.

Tigers will be back once Tubby is gone and UT has had 2 good seasons in a row. I would love be to see this year's Tiger team play UT in FB. We have a deep and talented offense and VOLS would have to outscore us.

Last edited:
Based on your logic, TN football is in the crapper given a less than desirable decade. In past 10 years, 5 losing seasons, only 2 post season Top 25 rankings (both 22cd last 2 seasons, missed going to bowls, etc).

I think history is important in many areas and UT is by far a better FB program and Memphis by far a better BB program. Memphis was ranked 19th best CBB program in past 50 years by ESPN in 2012 and would have been 15th if not for point deductions for Kirk and Rose probations. And don't believe for a minute that the kids Are making the decision on where to go; in most cases, they don't.

Tigers will be back once Tubby is gone and UT has had 2 good seasons in a row. I would love be to see this year's Tiger team play UT in FB. We have a deep and talented offense and VOLS would have to outscore us.

I would argue that the difference in TN and UM basketball is much closer that the difference in football, historically speaking. Tennessee is the 2nd or 3rd winningest program in SEC basketball history. We don't have the high-end accolades (Final Fours, Championships, etc), but we have a pretty strong history of being above average more often than not. The 80's, 90's, and early 00's (save for the Jerry Green years) weren't too kind to us with a lack of AD commitment to fielding a strong program, but Bruce Pearl quickly changed that perception nearly on his own, proving that this program can be a top 25 job with the right coach and amount of commitment.

Memphis clearly has a stronger history, especially in regards to high-end achievement, whether the NCAA recognizes them or not. No one would logically argue otherwise.

Last edited:

That would be correct, not sure of your point? Are you completely unaware of all the negativity that surrounded Dooley and now Butch? You just proved my point, thanks.

And don't believe for a minute that any kid outside of Memphis gives a crap what Memphis did 30 or 40 years ago, irrelevant.

Join a real conference, possibly even the SEC and maybe you'll get your wish :thumbsup:

That would be correct, not sure of your point? Are you completely unaware of all the negativity that surrounded Dooley and now Butch? You just proved my point, thanks.

And don't believe for a minute that any kid outside of Memphis gives a crap what Memphis did 30 or 40 years ago, irrelevant.

Join a real conference, possibly even the SEC and maybe you'll get your wish :thumbsup:

I'm under no illusion regarding our conference affiliation or the P5's objective to keep things the way they are unless it is of great benefit to them change things.

And you are uninformed if you believe more than just a very few kids make their own decision as to what school to attend. Adults are making or heavily influencing those decisions.

I don't understand the deal with Butch who has given you the best two seasons you have had in 10 years and they are back to back. I think UT's expectations are unreasonably high in the new age of CFB with playing in the loaded SEC. Ain't going to beat Bama X years in a row as long as the Coach is there. Other SEC schools are on the way up too.

I'm under no illusion regarding our conference affiliation or the P5's objective to keep things the way they are unless it is of great benefit to them change things.

And you are uninformed if you believe more than just a very few kids make their own decision as to what school to attend. Adults are making or heavily influencing those decisions.

I don't understand the deal with Butch who has given you the best two seasons you have had in 10 years and they are back to back. I think UT's expectations are unreasonably high in the new age of CFB with playing in the loaded SEC. Ain't going to beat Bama X years in a row as long as the Coach is there. Other SEC schools are on the way up too.

Is all that rich Memphis history why you guys lost out on a recruit to a D2 school? Makes sense.

Is all that rich Memphis history why you guys lost out on a recruit to a D2 school? Makes sense.

That is an urban myth. Kid claims we offered. Tubby is a gentleman and said 'no comment" when asked if we did. We didn't-wanted him to walk on.

But, even if true, how would that affect Memphis basketball history or tradition?

That is an urban myth. Kid claims we offered. Tubby is a gentleman and said 'no comment" when asked if we did. We didn't-wanted him to walk on.

But, even if true, how would that affect Memphis basketball history or tradition?

Further evidence nobody cares about what happened 30 years ago, or even 20...there's a good reason why schools like Butler and Northwestern are torching Memphis on the recruiting trail...current recruits know them as the better programs.

VN Store

Back