Vols Switching to Nike?

Once again we call upon DMC to show us the way:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA8DsUN6g_k[/youtube]

/we slay all suckers who perpetrate
and lay down law from state to state

I never owned a pair of UA cleats, but I have had Nike and Adidas. I have always preferred Adidas over Nike. They seem to hold up better and are more comfortable. At the collegiate level I would be more worried about functionality than looks.

Reactions: 2 people
Why do some of you all say that we would never get close to a $90M deal? Tennessee is a great prgram with a lot of tradition and history. Not to mention, one of the largest fanbases or the largest fanbase. That equals more sales! Don't see why some of you sell us short in saying we could never get a deal like that. Baffles me.

First time poster, been lurking for a while. I'm a UT grad and lifelong ND fan.

ND is sticking their neck out a bit on this - UA obviously has a much shorter resume than Nike or Adidas, and I think there is some concern about the quality of their products (e.g. shoes) versus Nike in particular.

But given (1) the money involved and (2) lukewarm reception to ND's Shamrock Series uniforms in recent years, it makes sense. Perhaps the one thing that pushed ND over the edge was adidas's decision to give Michigan "most favored nation" status (How Michigan remains No. 1 with Adidas - Portland Business Journal). ND wasn't going to get that with Nike (and Oregon), leaving a spot for Under Armour.

Also interesting is that ND is potentially taking some of its compensation as UA stock. I'm not sure of any other school who's had that type of agreement with their outfitter.

I smell bull****. How can you graduate from UT AND be a ND fan? Me no comprendo!!!!

This is what Shaw tweeted a while back:

“3rd time the sole of my Under Armour shoes have completely busted. And we wonder why so many people have ‘freak’ foot injuries on the team..”

Man. That can't be good for business.

Why do some of you all say that we would never get close to a $90M deal? Tennessee is a great prgram with a lot of tradition and history. Not to mention, one of the largest fanbases or the largest fanbase. That equals more sales! Don't see why some of you sell us short in saying we could never get a deal like that. Baffles me.
ND has a much larger fanbase than we do. Along with that, they have their own TV contract.

UT has not shot at getting a deal anywhere near that size.

I blame nike for all the stupid & ugly uniforms over the past 10-12 yrs so I'm not a big fan of theirs. UT used to have them before Adidas. I don't really see who we have as a big deal but it matters to some kids (recruits) I'm sure all schools go with whoever brings the biggest wheelbarrow of cash!

We don't have the largest fanbase.

I smell bull****. How can you graduate from UT AND be a ND fan? Me no comprendo!!!!

Heh. I think of it as a privilege.

FWIW, by saying that I "graduated from UT" shouldn't imply that I'm not a Vols fan. By all means - I'm as much of a Vol fan as I am an ND fan.

Also, the vast majority of ND fans that I interact with have great respect for Tennessee. They have nothing but nice things to say about their trips to Knoxville - atmosphere, fans, etc - as well as the UT fans who've made the trip to South Bend.

Based on the commentary in this thread, however, sounds like that feeling isn't necessarily shared among these parts. I'll keep my blue and gold to myself...

Can't remember the last time a recruit said 'I'm going to play for any team because they wear this or that brand'. There's a lot more to these recruits than some give credit.
I say we go with Puma.

20 years ago, when a recruit came on an official visit their first stop was to meet with their position coach. Today, the first stop for most recruits is the equipment room, and that's a fact. It matters.

Reactions: 1 person
[/B]

Hart's decision will be money as well. Book it.

Probably Nike for UT, but UA getting into the big leagues with ND should up our share of the pot. Not to ND's level, but good nonetheless.

It the decision is about money, then we'll probably stick with Adidas.

VN Store

Back