Vols land 4-star center D.J. Burns

He’s got nice touch on his shot already. If he gets in shape and shows a little D early, we may not have the luxury for a redshirt. Kent’s progression might help decide Burns redshirt.

Reactions: 1 person
Is burns projected to play at center? With Walker there and if Kent develops I thought he may be a replacement for Williams in a couple of years.

Burns played AAU basketball for the Georgia Stars in Nike’s Elite Youth Basketball League.
Nick Richards, the head coach of the Stars, described the skill set Burns will bring at the college level during an interview with The State.

“D.J. has a different type of skill set, different type of footwork than most post players have now,” Richards said. “But the advantage that that gives is when you need an easy bucket close to the basket, you have someone you can throw it into the post to and he can create a shot or maybe a foul situation. You can control the flow of the game a little bit.

“The thing about D.J. is he passes so well. I don’t necessarily consider him a back-to-the-basket player – he’s as good facing up as he is with his back to the basket. The difference is he’s not a stretch-four or not a stretch post player. He’s a guy who’s looking to get it to the basket. If he needs to hit a jump shot, he can. But he’s really best with the ball in his hands and really creating for other people.”

Reactions: 5 people
Can't see Kent beating him out for minutes unless he's suddenly developed an acumen for defense.
You don't play D, you don't play for Barnes.

Even if so it’s still possible redshirt...plenty of minutes for Schofield/Pons/Williams/Fulk/Walker/Alexander down low

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 people
Even if so it’s still possible redshirt...plenty of minutes for Schofield/Pons/Williams/Fulk/Walker/Alexander down low

Possible, yes. but I think there just too much potential to waste on a RS. But I also don't see Fulk as a low post. looks like a 3/4 stretch to me. Course I been wrong before.

Possible, yes. but I think there just too much potential to waste on a RS. But I also don't see Fulk as a low post. looks like a 3/4 stretch to me. Course I been wrong before.

I need to see Fulk shoot outside of 5’ before I can call him a stretch anything...I don’t think anything is determined and won’t be for awhile, probably good that way for competition, but if Burns is gonna give you even what Walker did we are better off redshirting him and saving that year of eligibility.

Reactions: 1 person
I need to see Fulk shoot outside of 5’ before I can call him a stretch anything...I don’t think anything is determined and won’t be for awhile, probably good that way for competition, but if Burns is gonna give you even what Walker did we are better off redshirting him and saving that year of eligibility.

I don't see Burns redshirting. No way he reclassified to sit a year. Unless Fulks shooting improves vastly, I see his minutes dwindle less and less throughout next season and Burns start to crack into his minutes if not completely by the years end.

I don't know much about it, that's a given, so excuse what may be a stupid comment...Fulks better start hitting the dining room harder.

j/k

I don't see Burns redshirting. No way he reclassified to sit a year. Unless Fulks shooting improves vastly, I see his minutes dwindle less and less throughout next season and Burns start to crack into his minutes if not completely by the years end.

Eh idk if I follow that logic. Reclassifying makes a ton of sense to redshirt IMO. Instead of spending a year playing HS ball, you get to spend a year in the UT program. And he needs the conditioning program for sure.

Reactions: 2 people
Eh idk if I follow that logic. Reclassifying makes a ton of sense to redshirt IMO. Instead of spending a year playing HS ball, you get to spend a year in the UT program. And he needs the conditioning program for sure.

I agree. Practicing against college guys like Schofield, Walker, and Williams will much better prepare him for his rFR year than a year playing HS ball. Plus, as you said, the nutrition and stength/conditioning are greatly needed too.

Listed as 6'8" to 6'9", and about 248 to 260 pounds. I wouldn't be surprise if he gets listed at 6'7" once he gets here, unless he grows a bit. JMO. I have not seen him in person.

Boom and he can give Alexander a break next season while Fulkerson could play small forward and Walker could play some power forward at times next season to give UT a big lineup.

So he'll be playing this season? That's great. Itll give us the depth at C we need if God forbid something happens to Kyle again

I agree with you on your point as well I just don't see him redshirting. He brings more size that we don't currently have at the 4/5.

Boom and he can give Alexander a break next season while Fulkerson could play small forward and Walker could play some power forward at times next season to give UT a big lineup.

Fulkerson doe'snt need to play lol unless something crazy happened over the summer to change my mind on him.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back