Vols land 4-star center D.J. Burns

I like how Tennessee is recruiting big men now. We have plenty of height in Alexander, Fulkerson and Kent, but we also have plenty of guys with bulk as well.

Along with Burns, we will have Schofield, Williams, Walker, and Pons. That's a lot of big, muscular guys.

This gives me confidence we won't have any of the matchup problems in the paint that have plagued us in the recent past.

Reactions: 2 people
Nice pickup. Excited about the upcoming season. Hopefully they can handle the pressure of big expectations.

I don't see Burns redshirting. No way he reclassified to sit a year. Unless Fulks shooting improves vastly, I see his minutes dwindle less and less throughout next season and Burns start to crack into his minutes if not completely by the years end.

Actually that might be exactly what he did...you need to realize this kid and his family are cut from the Grant Williams mold, his mom is a longtime school principal, not your normal high school recruit.

I agree with you on your point as well I just don't see him redshirting. He brings more size that we don't currently have at the 4/5.

At the 5 we need Kyle to be able to give us 25 consistent minutes, that leaves 15 which if Walker builds off his nice finish to the year would likely be his, and he’s pretty much the size Burns needs to be.

Is Burns 6-10 height accurate? How old is he? With him reclassified from 19 to 18, is he arriving as a 17 year old? Seems like Stokes was 17, but Burns is no where close to Stokes physical development at that point. With another year of development for Walker and Fulkerson, a redshirt seems like a great option from looking at his highlight video IMHO. He appeared to be a banger not a leaper and he may need some more physical development to bang in the SEC?

Is Burns 6-10 height accurate? How old is he? With him reclassified from 19 to 18, is he arriving as a 17 year old? Seems like Stokes was 17, but Burns is no where close to Stokes physical development at that point. With another year of development for Walker and Fulkerson, a redshirt seems like a great option from looking at his highlight video IMHO. He appeared to be a banger not a leaper and he may need some more physical development to bang in the SEC?

Yea Burns is a true reclass up, was never in the 2018 class, just graduated a year early....most reclasses you see are guys going back into their original class, so yea Burns is a true 17 year old which makes the redshirt even more likely.

Trying to find the youngest age someone has ever played college ball, and the youngest I’ve found is 18. So if Burns has had a birthday this year already, he could make history unless I’m missing some one lol

ok, so I didn't get my 325lb, 7 footer, but heck, can't have everything...we got us a "real" center...unreal...and a four star too...seems to good to be true...:pepper:...:clap:

GBO!

I think Stokes technically had just turned 18 in his first game. He was 17 when he started school and had an early January birthday.

That seems right, sounds familiar. Was thinking Grant was also young for his class and possible 17 when he started, but could be wrong.

Speaking of Stokes, how well do you think Barnes would have developed him if he was still here?

Reactions: 2 people
I can't remember a Tennessee team with this much post power. Adding this player to Grant Williams, Fulkerson, Alexander, Walker and Kent is certainly exciting. If the perimeter players have improved this team definitely looks like a power house in the SEC.

Trying to find the youngest age someone has ever played college ball, and the youngest I’ve found is 18. So if Burns has had a birthday this year already, he could make history unless I’m missing some one lol

The guy that just left Kansas had just turned 16 when he went.

VN Store

Back