Vols have a new fan. Ricky the Dragon Steamboat

I’m not sure if he was a football fan or not but Mr. Fugi also used to live in Knoxville. Back in the late 90s when I was at UT he was working at the movie theater in West Town Mall. He actually was taking tickets one night while I was there. There was an article about him working there in the Beacon shortly after when they still did a wrestling column. The cool thing was his nametag had his name as Mr. Fugi.

Reactions: 1 person
Ron was my dad. I see uncle Donnie every once in a blue moon. I’ve earned more about him online after he passed than I ever knew growing up. Lol. I wish I could’ve been around for some of it

Your uncle was next door neighbor to my grandparents. I saw Don in a match this past weekend at the Appy Fairgrounds- he reprised many of the old Wright Brother gimmicks

Another UT player who went Into wrestling was Doug Furnas. I was there the night he came out of the audience to tear the door off the cage and save the good guys. He was later trained by Ron Wright for his in ring debut - only to have Ron turn on him a few weeks later

My ol pops (my avatar). Was as big of a UT fan as it gets.... he’s known for a match or 2 in Knoxville...

Well, I'll be...

Please don't take offense, but I loved to hate your father and his brother Don when I was a kid. Ron's verbal battles with Big Jim Hess were every bit as entertaining as his bouts in the ring. I later learned that your father was actually a fine fellow and nothing like the character he portrayed. Lord I miss those days, though, with the Wright Brothers, Whitey Caldwell, Bearcat Brown, Ronny Garvin et al..

I do, but I've never really followed wrestling

giphy.gif

Ron was my dad. I see uncle Donnie every once in a blue moon. I’ve earned more about him online after he passed than I ever knew growing up. Lol. I wish I could’ve been around for some of it

Ron Wright was the greatest and most entertaining wrestler Knoxville ever had, especially with the brain duster and the director's hold. Legend....

Or......people who don't care about wrestling. I can name Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan...... aaaand thats it.

I laugh only because my uncle was an old timey wrestler. Went by the name of Rowdy Red Roberts. Back in the day.

Rogersville's own Backstreet Brawler... The Kingsport Bad Boy himself...

Man those were the good old days.

I miss Continental, and later, Smokey Mountain wrestling. Dirty White boy, the Fullers, the Goldens, the Armstrongs....

That was just good wrastlin' right there.

VN Store

Back