Vols have a new fan. Ricky the Dragon Steamboat

His podcasts are amazing. Dude's wit is razor sharp.

Try the podcast “Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard” specifically the Jim Cornette episode. Bruce worked with him and does amazing Cornette and Vince McMahon impressions while he tells stories. They’re still buddies and do podcasts together, too.

Kevin Nash played basketball for UT. Kane lives in the area, and embraced UT as his own, he's even running for mayor of Knox County (I won't mention his real name so as to not "endorse" someone for office, that's not my intent).

Glad to learn Ricky Steamboat is on board the Big Orange train.

Well Kane is Glenn Jacobs and he is running for mayor of Knox county....Vote for him or he will set the entire city of Knoxville on FIRE!!

Reactions: 1 person
My ol pops (my avatar). Was as big of a UT fan as it gets.... he’s known for a match or 2 in Knoxville...

Is your "Pops" Ron or Don? I remember watching Ron Wright in the USA promotion around 87-88. My grandmother was a very Christian lady who thought 'rasslin was real. She used to say Ron Wright was going to Hell becaused he lied so much. He was an awesome heel manager. He really knew how to get heat on him.

Reactions: 2 people
While Tennessee has a noble history of producing pro wrestlers, no school can compete with West Texas State University (changed to West Texas A&M in 1993). Here is a list of their wrestling alumni:

Dory Funk, Jr.
Terry Funk
Tully Blanchard
Bruiser Brody
Tito Santana
Ted DiBiase
Stan Hansen
Dusty Rhodes
Manny Fernandez
Dick Murdoch
Barry Windham
Bobby Duncum, Sr.

Originally Posted by Behr View Post
I don't care enough about it to make fun if it. He likes to correct others this is for Behr, so OF not IF SA.

But you care about it enough to comment on it....

Behr is a SA always has been, always will be. I normally just skip his posts,(no valid points just drivel) but drama queen also comes to mind while reading his posts.

I don’t think CPT Lou lasted long enough to actually play. He was expelled for cheating, amongst other things

Or......people who don't care about wrestling. I can name Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan...... aaaand thats it.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 4 people
I did for a couple of years when I was young, back when Tojo Yamamoto, Dutch Mantel and Macho Man were the big deals. Tojo used to live in your neck of the woods, had a big house near the lake.

Same time I watched, I was a fan of Tojo and Dirty Dutch. Monday night wrestling at the Mid South coliseum was prime people watching.

Is your "Pops" Ron or Don? I remember watching Ron Wright in the USA promotion around 87-88. My grandmother was a very Christian lady who thought 'rasslin was real. She used to say Ron Wright was going to Hell becaused he lied so much. He was an awesome heel manager. He really knew how to get heat on him.

Ron was my dad. I see uncle Donnie every once in a blue moon. I’ve earned more about him online after he passed than I ever knew growing up. Lol. I wish I could’ve been around for some of it

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
The best were Ron & Robert Fuller, Ron & Don Wright, Mongolian Stomper, Ronnie Garvin, Bob Armstrong, etc.. Saturdays at 12!! Growing up it was fun to watch!!

Ron was my dad. I see uncle Donnie every once in a blue moon. I’ve earned more about him online after he passed than I ever knew growing up. Lol. I wish I could’ve been around for some of it

You're dad was the best entertainer Knoxville wrestling ever had.

Reactions: 4 people
Cool pic. And I wasn't aware that Kevin Nash and Kane are Vols fans also. Shows how deep our Orange runs when a spouse has that effect. Of course, I had the same effect on my wife, who is from MD and was never a college football fan. Now she screams at the TV with me.

Look: Tennessee Vols football has a new celebrity fan

"Hall of fame wrestler Ricky The Dragon Steamboat recently tweeted about his newfound admiration for the Vols, attributing his love for everything orange to his wife."

One helluva wife, if you ask me. Go Vols!!

Nash went to Tennessee and played basketball for Devoe. Even though he transferred out, he was always welcomed back into Knoxville as a former Vol during his wrestling career.

Kane is running for Knox county mayor. Not to say he is cheering for the Vols for political reasons, but it is possible he might lose votes if he yells something like anchor down.

I saw the Wright brothers wrestle at the Blount National guard armory back in the late 60 to early 70s. He played the bad guy of course, but once the show was over, he came out and turned into the nicest guy you ever met. In a way, that was more fun than the show. He was the first wrestler to come out and see the fans and among the last to leave.

He was alot of fun. Just thought you should know.

Reactions: 3 people
The best were Ron & Robert Fuller, Ron & Don Wright, Mongolian Stomper, Ronnie Garvin, Bob Armstrong, etc.. Saturdays at 12!! Growing up it was fun to watch!!

Don't forget the late great Whitey Caldwell. He had a running feud with the Wrights at shows, and would be eating at the same diner with them afterwards. When Caldwell died in a car crash, they cancelled that Saturday's wrestling show to do a special on him. The only two faces to appear live? Big Jim Hess and Ron Wright. Wright fought back tears the entire time he was on. It was obvious they were good friends.

I’m northeast tn and grew up hearing tales about Ron and Don Wright wrestling a bear.
Just looked it up on google and sure enough there’s a picture. Loved rasslin as a kid in the 80s. The Wrights are truly legends in this neck of the woods.

That is understandable...At home he was just dad and when he wasn't there he was at work...I'm sure for you it was just something normal...For someone who was so vicious in the ring he was the nicest guy outside of it....I bet you took a lot of ribbing as a kid because of who he was....Here is a classic video of him back in the day. Ron Wright at his best - YouTube

Last edited:

My Dad is a huge fan of yours. Back in the 90s when Ron was in a wheelchair for the local tv shows my Dad had a giant GET WELL card made. It must have been 2 feet by 3 feet big. Took it all around the Alcoa plant to have signed by his coworkers. He purposely waited until everyone else signed then took it to a guy who did not like Ron just to goad him a bit. As far as I know he sent the card to Ron with all those signatures. LOL I hope he received it.

My ol pops (my avatar). Was as big of a UT fan as it gets.... he’s known for a match or 2 in Knoxville...

I was fortunate to see more of his matches than I can count, and he cheated in every single one lol. I've witnessed Tennessee Dog Whoopins all over Knoxville. Crazy story but my uncle believed the whole act was real, and he couldn't stand Ron. He waited for him outside the Jacob's building one night after the matches and punched Ron square in the forehead. He broke so many bones in his hand, he had a cast nearly to his elbow. Afterwards, he claimed he fell off a ladder. Witnesses claimed that Ron's only response to the punch was a big smile.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back