Vols can finish 3rd place in SEC

Finals of the SEC tourney? When is the last time UT got to the finals of the tourney? Maybe it happened with Bruce--but you can almost always count the Vols out early.

The Vols will be lucky to get into the tournament. Sweet 16? Keep dreaming.

duke, notice I didn't say it would change my opinion. I think Martin is awful.

it is hard to say,I personally would like to see CCM get a hold of this team and make em perform like there capable of,the rest of this year and leave no doubt as to who the coach will be

is that going to happen ? I don't know,but it needs to,for him to save his job,but lets not forget Hart,he may do nothing and keep CCM too

Like I have said , Hart basically has 2 choices to make

1. Hire Bruce Pearl
2. Hope Cuonzo makes the NCAA tourney, wins a couple of games and retains his job.

Any other scenario and most fans are not going to be happy, including my self. I am a season ticket holder and donor and any other scenario besides these 2 and I am probably done for a while ( as far as donating and purchasing season tix)

I'm torn.

I can't root against my teams unless they are tanking for a draft pick (see: Los Angeles Lakers), much less when they sit right on the bubble like Tennessee does right now. We could very easily end up dancing this year, and it's next to impossible for me to root against that.

However...

I have zero doubt in my mind that Cuonzo Martin is a bad basketball coach, and that he is not the answer for our program. Keeping him for even one year longer will set us back another year, and delay the true rebuilding process that will sooner or later have to take place.

I want to dance. Dancing is great. Even if it's just a quick trip to Dayton, and then back home by Thursday (which seems quite possible), it's still better than the alternative. But I also care about the long-term future of this program, and it appears a tourney bid this year could potentially hurt that future. I mean... if a tourney bid guarantees we retain Martin, then how great is it really? Is it worth it?

Maybe I'm stupid. Maybe I'm a ****ty fan. I don't know. I just don't like that I feel this way...

Our lakers will have a top 5 pick. Rest easy, my friend.

Reactions: 1 person
We were picked to finish 3rd preseason right?

Mathematically we could actually finish tied with UK for 2nd fwiw.

That being said - and even if we go on to win the remainder of our games this year and the national championship - UT has been poorly coached this year up to this point.

We fired Green after he made it. Why not this abomination of a coach we have at the helm now?

He was not fired because he made the Dance. He was fired because he was a prick who never learned to keep his mouth shut. If Martin took shots at the University and fans, then you could make the comparison.

He was not fired because he made the Dance. He was fired because he was a prick who never learned to keep his mouth shut. If Martin took shots at the University and fans, then you could make the comparison.

Anyone still campaigning for Martin to stay is extremely happy with mediocrity. Yesterday was a very impressive win but it was against a team with 7 scholarship players that did beat UT earlier this year. There have be way too many unimpressive losses . Martin needs to go. Keeping him another year will do nothing but harm the program.

Anyone still campaigning for Martin to stay is extremely happy with mediocrity. Yesterday was a very impressive win but it was against a team with 7 scholarship players that did beat UT earlier this year. There have be way too many unimpressive losses . Martin needs to go. Keeping him another year will do nothing but harm the program.

And what exactly will firing him and hiring another unproven mid major coach be doing?

Didn't realize this board had so many oracles on it. Can you tell me the lottery numbers?

By the way, that was not a campaign necessarily for Martin but rather proving how dumb some people are with comparisons that make zero sense. I've already said numerous times that if Martin was let go AFTER THE SEASON I would not lose sleep. However, I'm not conceited enough to demand change just because I feel i'm entitled to it.

Reactions: 2 people
And what exactly will firing him and hiring another unproven mid major coach be doing?

You are assuming UT will hire another unproven coach. They may or may not. Sometimes a mid major coach works out great, Martin has not It is oblivious keeping Martin and giving him an extension will only lead to more mediocrity. The University of Tennessee and the fanbase should never settle being mediocre.

Are you satisfied with the job Zo has done in his 3 years at TN?

If they win out and Georgia loses 1 more game ( last game is at LSU). How many fans would jump back on the bandwagon if this happens and we get to the Finals of the SEC tourney? This would put them opposite bracket of FL in the tourney. Would CuonZo win back some fans if this happens. Just wondering.....

Folks jumped back on Fulmer's bandwagon too after he brought Cutcliffe back as well.

We all know how that turned out.

Still got a couple of games to go. Auburn will be a tough one on the road, since we seem to really suck on the road. Missouri will be no cake walk either. Need too get to 20 before the SEC tournament.. Actually doing something in that tournament would help us, or not. My fear is we get in there, play well enough to get a 8 or 9 death sentence seed..

Didn't realize this board had so many oracles on it. Can you tell me the lottery numbers?

What has Martin done that shows he can get the job done as head basketball coach at the University of Tennessee?

Keeping Martin would be Tennessee playing the littered. One in a zillion chances he succeeds based on his three years as HC. He has accomplished nothing but mediocrity.

By the way, that was not a campaign necessarily for Martin but rather proving how dumb some people are with comparisons that make zero sense. I've already said numerous times that if Martin was let go AFTER THE SEASON I would not lose sleep. However, I'm not conceited enough to demand change just because I feel i'm entitled to it.

Wanting a successful program is being conceited?

What dictionary did you find that definition in ?

Last edited:
If they win out and Georgia loses 1 more game ( last game is at LSU). How many fans would jump back on the bandwagon if this happens and we get to the Finals of the SEC tourney? This would put them opposite bracket of FL in the tourney. Would CuonZo win back some fans if this happens. Just wondering.....

Yes people would support Zo if we started winning consistently and playin with energy and effort all season. If they were to make a run to title game in SEC then he would regain several supporters. Win a game or two in NCAA then he prob gets almost everyone back

You are assuming UT will hire another unproven coach. They may or may not. Sometimes a mid major coach works out great, Martin has not It is oblivious keeping Martin and giving him an extension will only lead to more mediocrity. The University of Tennessee and the fanbase should never settle being mediocre.

The problem with the Martin hire was that he wasn't even an overly successful mid major coach.

That CIT tournament win was impressive I guess.

Maybe we can have Jordan and Jarnell fake injuries and apply for medical redshirts and come back next year. lol

Stokes is a junior, and there is no way in hell he is going to make an nba roster so I wouldn't be surprised if he is back next season. I think Hubbs will pick up the slack next season, remember how long it took McRae to become a consistent scorer?

Stokes is a junior, and there is no way in hell he is going to make an nba roster so I wouldn't be surprised if he is back next season. I think Hubbs will pick up the slack next season, remember how long it took McRae to become a consistent scorer?
You really don't think Stokes is good enough to make an NBA team? He's been consistent all season, his free throwing shooting is way better, and he's a rebounding machine. Someone has a spot for Jarnell Stokes, he's so smooth for being such a big fella. There's no way Stokes is returning after this year.

SEC standings are meaningless. All that matters is that Virginia keeps winning. That win alone is keeping us in the tournament running.

How in the world did we beat virginia by 35? They're 25-5 now and acc regular season conf champs. And a lot of their games weren't even close.

The 3rd year isn't over.

If he makes the dance and makes the sweet 16 I'm fine with him remaining as coach.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back