Vols BBall team might surprise you this season.

That wasn't the case. He was apart of a lot of that stretch

I fact I thought he was awful tonight. Wild drives in the half court with very little chance of success

Before those two free throws Punter missed down the stretch he could barely stand; I half expected him to get sent to the bench rather than shoot them. I suspect the cramping did impact his play during that final stretch.

I agree that the set offense was sorely lacking, but I think a lot was just bad execution and confusion along with some tiredness down the stretch rather than no plan.

He was out for more of that stretch than he was in, no coincidence to me that the offense struggled for that stretch when GT regained the lead when Punter was on the bench.

We scored our 55th point to put us up 55-48 at just inside the 14min mark.

Punter left the game at the 9min mark trailing 58-55.

He returned to the game with 5min to go.

We scored 12 PTs in almost 14 minutes. Punter played 9 of those minutes.

Pathetic finish when the game needed an offense that could create an easy basket

I'm not sure how good GA tech is but I was pleasantly surprised with the effort.

Pathetic finish when the game needed an offense that could create an easy basket

The o isn't perfect. We need to play fast though. Last year we were lucky to get 55 versus a decent team for the whole game.

All this talk about high pace being sloppy and having to live with it is BS.

I invite you guys to go watch Belmont. Very high pace beat Marquette is game won.
Scored 82. 23 assist and only 12 TOs.

That's how a fast pace team can also have a plan.

Btw they are on the verge of beating another big named school on the road tonight

Rick Byrd knows how to coach and yes his style is exciting

Box score says Punter played 12 minutes in the 2nd half. That means Punter had to have sat 3 of the first 6 minutes based on your post. I don't remember him sitting in the first 6 minutes.

Honestly they look a lot like Bruce Pearls first year team in the sense that there is definitely talent and potential there even though they're mostly under the radar guys. They look very coachable. Really close game tonight. A pretty easy schedule coming up, so there will be time to keep working.
My thoughts exactly. Excellent post.

Box score says Punter played 12 minutes in the 2nd half. That means Punter had to have sat 3 of the first 6 minutes based on your post. I don't remember him sitting in the first 6 minutes.

Not sure the first 6min but he came out outside of the 9min mark and the came back in around the 5min mark

I went back on dvr to check

Last edited:
We led 55-48 with more than 13 minutes to go in the game

We had 22 possessions after that

We scored 12 PTs

We shot 5-14
2 of those makes were a run out layup by baulkman and a shot clock buzzer beater by moore

We had 8 TOs

3 offensive boards

And 3 possessions end in free throws

Anyone praising this offense isn't see reality

Last edited:
My gosh who is praising the offense? What's bs is looking so hard for something to bi!$& about your confusing praise for the effort and understanding poor shooting nights happen for praising the offense. Smdh

My gosh who is praising the offense? What's bs is looking so hard for something to bi!$& about your confusing praise for the effort and understanding poor shooting nights happen for praising the offense. Smdh

We played hard

Our offensive plan/coaching in the half court sucked balls.

That clear?

I disagree. This team has 3 legit scorers. A good plan in the half court would give moore, punter, and hubbs a chance to get easier buckets. Right now it's one on one with those 3

Slowing down and running half court offense when you have a team of midgets would be a recipe for disaster. Opposing teams' length would swallow us up all over the floor. Push the ball, get to the lane and wreak as much havoc as possible seems like a decent strategy to combat our biggest weakness, lack of size.

Reactions: 6 people
I'm not praising it but it's much improved. I doubt we struggle to break 60 versus the SEC like last year though.

It is far from improved at this point.

Running up and down the court and shooting wild shots doesn't make it improved.

It means we score more points but it damn sure also means we give up more PTs.

The jury is still out if it will be be improved.

If ga tech shoots 10% from 3 against last years team we win by double digits tonight

Last edited:
Slowing down and running half court offense when you have a team of midgets would be a recipe for disaster. Opposing teams' length would swallow us up all over the floor. Push the ball, get to the lane and wreak as much havoc as possible seems like a decent strategy to combat our biggest weakness, lack of size.

We have 3 legit scorers that create matchup problems in the half court.

Punter needs sets to get open looks from the outside. Tonight all he had were wild wild drives and zero looks from the perimeter.

It is far from improved at this point.

Running up and down the court and shooting wild shots doesn't make it improved.

It means we score more points but it damn sure also means we give up more PTs.

The jury is still out if it will be be improved.

If ga tech shoots 10% from 3 against last years team we win by double digits tonight

Last year's team would have scored 50 and we would have gotten blown out.

An undersized teams only chance is to push pace and let it fly.

Reactions: 1 person
We have 3 legit scorers that create matchup problems in the half court.

Punter needs sets to get open looks from the outside. Tonight all he had were wild wild drives and zero looks from the perimeter.

Your definition of "legit scorer" is apparently significantly different from mine.

This is a roster that is more or less forced to perennially operate in small ball mode. Which means you run and push and try to capitalize on your quickness. Try to get open perimeter shots by driving and kicking out. Trying to slow it down and run half court all the time with a team this small would be suicide. It's hard to set screens with guys who are 6-2, 175.

Reactions: 3 people
Anyone comparing this year's team to Pearl's first team: Pearl's first team had Chris Lofton. This year's team has no one remotely resembling Chris Lofton.

I see it this way: Tyndall went 15-15 with a team with more talent than this one (simply because of J-Rich). If Barnes matches or exceeds that this year, he's done a hell of a job. Getting to the NIT would be a great year. The ceiling is 17-18 wins, the floor is 10-11. We have no size, no reliable outside shooters, and no one who can be counted on to knock down free throws at crunch time. That's three strikes. This team will go as far as Punter, Moore, and Hubbs can carry them, because we just don't have anything else. Reese and Baulkman have no business starting for a SEC squad, but Barnes has no other viable options. The best Barnes can do, strategically, is push the ball and try to create havoc and turnovers. If we try to play grind-it-out halfcourt hoops versus decent competition, we're gonna get curbstomped. A lot.

I have no concerns about Barnes tactically. I do have concerns about Barnes from a recruiting standpoint. I'm gonna give him a mulligan on year one, but next year could be a total disaster (with Punter and Moore gone) if recruiting doesn't substantially improve.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think by any means that was a pretty game, but I feel like if you looked at more than just the obvious of that game, there were some positives to bring out. We need to fix a lot of what we did tonight, but if there's gonna be someone who can coach a group of guys like this up to play at a higher level, there isn't anyone better than a coach like Barnes to do that. I'm not saying they surprise us like they make the ncaa tourney and make a deep run. I'm saying I think peoples expectations are just so low that by the end of the season most of us will be optimistic about the future of Tennessee Basketball.

VN Store

Back