Vols BBall team might surprise you this season.

Anything above a .500 record the end of this season and this team has overachieved. No true PG and no size spells trouble even in a weak SEC.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say if Kasongo ever steps up. Alexander gets to the point he gives quality 10 to 12 minutes. And McGhee settles back into a rebounding machine. This team will not beat Kentucky. But I think we finished upper half if not top 5 in the SEC. Other than Kentucky and Vanderbilt it's wide open.

it fathoms me that I'm already seeing people saying "fire Barnes" I expected this ut team to be awful this year but we just went wire to wire with a decent Georgia tech team that had some crazy number of graduate transfers I think it was 4. Rick Barnes has this team playing hard and unfortunately we couldn't get shots to drop tonight and we only lost by 2. Keep your heads up volnation Rick Barnes will do a heck of a job on rocky top!!! Give him time.

Farr Barns

Jk, we shoudn't think about doing that until at least the end of next year, probably 2 years from now. Realistic fans knew this team wasn't gonna be much good. We're young, don't have much depth, and don't have much of a post presence at all.

How? We are a million times more exciting. Last year was the most boring ball we have played since O'Neill. 63.3 ppg. Our worst in about 20 years. Tyndull couldn't coach and the o was garbage.

I don't think Tyndall ball was exciting but how is this exciting?

Is the criteria for exciting bball running down the court and chucking up a shot as quickly as possible?

This brand of ball was terrible. No fluidity at all, just a bunch of wild shots and that was proved by the shooting %

What is exciting about that? Serious question not trying to be a jerk.

One thing that stood out for me tonight being at the game was re:Kasongo. Soft has been used to describe him before, you may need to add 'aloof' as well.

Hopefully it's a one time thing.

Compared to McGhee and Alexander he looked like he was running in mud too.

Is the criteria for exciting bball running down the court and chucking up a shot as quickly as possible?

This brand of ball was terrible. No fluidity at all, just a bunch of wild shots and that was proved by the shooting %

Nothing is exciting about it.

I have no issues with the fast pace style but when it slows down there needs to be a plan. There wasn't one tonight except 1 on 1 wild drives that led to TOs and bad shots

I'll play. First I don't think this is a style Barnes has or will use unless its necessary. But it creates chaos. It masked the fact we only have one or 2 scorers. And because we are so thin depth wise, it prohibits us from running the shot clock with screen after screen to find an open shot.

Or maybe I just enjoy watching the chaos. Haha

Also gives our young bigs a better chance at a offensive rebound and put back.

I didn't get to watch all of either game, but I felt like I saw a lot of hustle. Which I appreciate. I prefer an overachieving mediocre team to an underachieving amazing team, but that is just me.

Thoughts on the intensity/hustle from those who have seen both games?

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't get to watch all of either game, but I felt like I saw a lot of hustle. Which I appreciate. I prefer an overachieving mediocre team to an underachieving amazing team, but that is just me.

Thoughts on the intensity/hustle from those who have seen both games?

Played extremely hard more so tonight than game 1

Reactions: 2 people
They look like they are playing with a lot more effort, similar to the Pearl teams, but one area of concern is the free throw shooting. We were 9-17 from the line and 6 of those came from Moore. If we even make 3 more we win. Both teams played extremely sloppy but when you are as undersized as we are you have to take advantage of the freebies. Once again, great effort but we have to clean that up if we are going to surprise teams this year. We need to shoot at least 75% from the line to win games or else it ends up coming back to bite you in the butt like tonight. Can't really complain about much else. Will be exciting to see how this team develops throughout the year and I'm looking forward to seeing them improve with a coach like Barnes.

Looked like an AAU game at times. A lot of hustle and running up and down. Tons of ugly offensive moments. But the effort is there. Just need some consistency shooting. Barnes has a fun year ahead.

They look like they are playing with a lot more effort, similar to the Pearl teams, but one area of concern is the free throw shooting. We were 9-17 from the line and 6 of those came from Moore. If we even make 3 more we win. Both teams played extremely sloppy but when you are as undersized as we are you have to take advantage of the freebies. Once again, great effort but we have to clean that up if we are going to surprise teams this year. We need to shoot at least 75% from the line to win games or else it ends up coming back to bite you in the butt like tonight. Can't really complain about much else. Will be exciting to see how this team develops throughout the year and I'm looking forward to seeing them improve with a coach like Barnes.

I think this game will provide a good benchmark against which to judge the team's progress throughout the season.

This isn't what I would call an "exciting" team to watch. However, this is a very bad team and for very bad teams to win the game has to be ugly/scrappy. This brand of ball does just that. Barnes is smart to go this route, especially without a floor general.

This isn't what I would call an "exciting" team to watch. However, this is a very bad team and for very bad teams to win the game has to be ugly/scrappy. This brand of ball does just that. Barnes is smart to go this route, especially without a floor general.

I disagree. This team has 3 legit scorers. A good plan in the half court would give moore, punter, and hubbs a chance to get easier buckets. Right now it's one on one with those 3

They play hard and they push the ball. There will be some off shooting nights. Tonight we shot horrible and still should have won.

When you have guards and limited inside presence you have to push the pace and shoot threes to have a chance to win. Something Tyndall couldn't seem to figure out last year. You have to run with an undersized team. Imagine what we would look like with J Rich playing this style. No way we should have been trying to win games with a slow down pace and no inside presence. Some of the worst coaching ever.

Its not perfect but we what have to do to have a chance to win.

Nothing is exciting about it.

I have no issues with the fast pace style but when it slows down there needs to be a plan. There wasn't one tonight except 1 on 1 wild drives that led to TOs and bad shots

We had a discussion a few days ago about whether an 80 possession game was possible.
Don't know what the average will be at the end of the season, but right now you've got teams playing 95+ pos per game. (effect of Shot clock and rule changes)
We're only at about 75. If interested.

They play hard and they push the ball. There will be some off shooting nights. Tonight we shot horrible and still should have won.

When you have guards and limited inside presence you have to push the pace and shoot threes to have a chance to win. Something Tyndall couldn't seem to figure out last year. You have to run with an undersized team. Imagine what we would look like with J Rich playing this style. No way we should have been trying to win games with a slow down pace and no inside presence. Some of the worst coaching ever.

Its not perfect but we what have to do to have a chance to win.

Did you turn the game off after scored 55pts?

Pathetic offense the last 1/4 or more of the game

We had a discussion a few days ago about whether an 80 possession game was possible.
Don't know what the average will be at the end of the season, but right now you've got teams playing 95+ pos per game. (effect of Shot clock and rule changes)
We're only at about 75. If interested.

I am all for playing fast but when we don't get a shot in the first 10 seconds we better have some structure to go to. Tonight we had nothing

I am all for playing fast but when we don't get a shot in the first 10 seconds we better have some structure to go to. Tonight we had nothing

First half we did much better than the final 10 minutes, again that's when our PG Kevin Punter went out.

The only thing I can see to criticize Punter for tonight was his missed free throws. Pg needs to shoot at a much better clip than he did tonight.

That wasn't the case. He was apart of a lot of that stretch

I fact I thought he was awful tonight. Wild drives in the half court with very little chance of success

He was out for more of that stretch than he was in, no coincidence to me that the offense struggled for that stretch when GT regained the lead when Punter was on the bench.

VN Store

Back