Vols and Gators Comparison

You can post your memes all you want. I give my reasons on why I thought we might be 9-3, 10-2, or even 11-1.

You all just get on here and say Butch sucks over and over. If you want to debate then atleast bring some material that even some kid in the 6th grade could think of.

Because no one in this thread, or any other thread, has cited any reasons as to why they don't think CBJ is going to go 10-2 in 2017 (or ever)? Lol, ok.:good!:

Reactions: 3 people
Reactions: 5 people
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...der-tn-overachieve-2017-a-9.html#post13650575

Listed them and discussed in that thread. Even asked KB what his 4 to 6 losses were which was never posted.

In this thread you have Doberman posting mac > Butch. Wow, thats some NASA research there. As I said, SOS.

Whether you believe it or not, there's a pretty good argument that McElwain is a better coach than Butch. You can talk about injuries, and the fact that we beat them in 2016 all day long, but in the end McElwain is 13-3 in the SEC over two years, and has taken the division twice in a row. Whether you think Butch can do better at some point, the reality is that he hasn't yet, and even with a team full of his own players that he recruited, several of which are going to the NFL, he still couldn't manage to beat USCe and Vandy last year; McElwain did.

Last edited:
Whether you believe it or not, there's a pretty good argument that McElwain is a better coach then Butch. You can talk about injuries, and the fact that we beat in 2016 them all day long, but in the end McElwain is 13-3 in the SEC over two years, and has taken the division twice in a row. Whether you think Butch can do better at some point, the reality is that he hasn't yet, and even with a team full of his own payers that he recruited, several of which are going to the NFL, he still couldn't manage to beat USCe and Vandy last year; McElwain did.

Im guessing that argument died last year.

Whether you believe it or not, there's a pretty good argument that McElwain is a better coach then Butch. You can talk about injuries, and the fact that we beat in 2016 them all day long, but in the end McElwain is 13-3 in the SEC over two years, and has taken the division twice in a row. Whether you think Butch can do better at some point, the reality is that he hasn't yet, and even with a team full of his own payers that he recruited, several of which are going to the NFL, he still couldn't manage to beat USCe and Vandy last year; McElwain did.

And with no QB, both years.

If Butch did that, we'd claim he walked on water.

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting thread, though not the discussion I hoped for. Anyone out there who wants to discuss positions and players?

Since I can type more than our coaches name and a less than sign next to it I will.

I think our defense as a whole will be better. Alot of up and comers at all positions got some precious playing time on defense last year because of our injuries.

Both OLs should be much better.

QBs are a question mark for both. Is the expectation down there that the new Freshmen will get the start?

RBs I will give you'll the nod.

WRs is a question mark for both with the uncertainty of the QB situation.

STs I think would go to us.

The only comparison that matters:

McIlwain does more with less.

Butch does less with more.

Mac maybe did more but he had more talent...

Mac inherited a team that had five defensive players drafted off his first team (2 first round picks) and is projected to have eight more defensive players drafted in 2017 (again, 2 first round picks)Â…
ThatÂ’s 13 defensive players drafted with 4 being first round picksÂ…
Butch inherited a dumpster fire with very little talent - only one defensive player drafted off his first two teams (6th round pick)
ItÂ’s laughable when people think Butch had more talentÂ…this last year the talent was about evenÂ…we should have a slight advantage next yearÂ…

Reactions: 4 people
So Mac has to win the East 3 times in a row for you to say that? 3 East titles in his first 3 years.

Butch 0 in 5.

I'm not following your logic.

If Mac had to play Alabama every year the results would probably be flip-flopped. The two times he's faced them he's gotten stomped.

Reactions: 5 people
So Mac has to win the East 3 times in a row for you to say that? 3 East titles in his first 3 years.

Butch 0 in 5.

I'm not following your logic.

We don't worry about SEC East Titles...we only care about which B1G team we are going to beat in the bowl game.

Reactions: 2 people
If Mac had to play Alabama every year the results would probably be flip-flopped. The two times he's faced them he's gotten stomped.

I don't doubt that you are correct, but how does that factor into Florida losing or not losing to USCe and Vandy? Because right now that is what is setting McElwain apart from Butch, not who gets the worst beating from Alabama.

Last edited:
Since I can type more than our coaches name and a less than sign next to it I will.

I think our defense as a whole will be better. Alot of up and comers at all positions got some precious playing time on defense last year because of our injuries.

QBs are a question mark for both. Is the expectation down there that the new Freshmen will get the start?

I think, question marks,should be, uncertainty.

The stuff NASA was made of!

If Florida played Alabama in 2015, they finish with a 6-2 conference record and go to the SEC title game.

If Florida played Alabama in 2016, they finish with a 5-3 conference record and go to the SEC title game.

And I hate to go there, but let's not pretend Tennessee has done well against the rest of the SEC West. Tennessee has 1 win against the SEC West since 2009 (1-9 vs. non-Alabama SEC West opponents). the one win was against an Ole Miss team with one conference win in 2010.

So, spare me the Alabama argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Luke just had his other shoulder operated on, doubtful for fall
Majority sentiment is for Franks. Trask more accurate, but lacks confidence. Our defense will be weaker, but maybe not as much as some think. Shannon's job coaching up LB's who are 3 stars is phenomenal. Your special teams will probably be better, but I like our kicker.

I know, I know: there's no comparison. Still, I find it interesting that I see these similarities. (1) Both teams should have their best O-lines in several years;(2) Both teams have work to do in the secondary;(3) Both teams are looking for quarterbacks.
Guess you guys are returning more experienced D-lines and we have more experienced RBs. Don't know about LBs. All right, have at it and, for the record, I intend nothing bad in posting this.

While I'm sure it was unintended, you clearly picked an "off-season dormant scab". We were perfectly content to wallow in the misery of our basketball teams, while asking "what if" questions about spring ball, our future QB and who's going to start at DE.

FWIW, think it will get down to who has a top level QB emerge. If the answer is none, then UGA has clear run at east, with 7-5/8-4 records for both.

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't say broken defense, I said broken program.....and by definition at a school like Florida, a 2-year record of 10-13 is "broken".

I guess we have different definitions for 'broken program' then. When someone says 'broken program' I think of post-Dooley UT, who was pretty much devoid of SEC-level talent on both sides of the ball.

Despite the 4-8 & 6-5 seasons that Muschamp had his last 2 seasons it is hard for me to consider the Florida program that Mc inherited as 'broken'. The offense was bad, yes, but UF had the 3rd-ranked recruiting class in 2012, the 4th-ranked recruiting class in 2013, and the 8th-ranked recruiting class in 2014 (all Rivals rankings), so the cupboard was not bare. And considering WM recruited so poorly on the offensive side, that means all of the considerable talent WM recruited was on the defensive side of the ball. Which probably explains why even with the 4-8 2012 season the gator defense still finished ranked 8th in the nation.

So it is hard for me to see that program as being broken when Mc arrived. Damaged? Yes.

VN Store

Back