Utah State Aggies Huge Game, Establishes Tone for Season

It's a huge game, but game one is tricky. Win and advance because Arky St. Might catch us looking ahead to Oklahoma. The same was said a few years back with NC State.

Has there ever been an opener that didn't set a tone for the season?

Umm... our opener last year? We throttled APSU. Didn't exactly set the tone for our 7 loss season and multiple embarrassing blowout losses. Just saying.

Agree. The voters chose woodson 'cause he made a few plays on offense. :jpshakehead: :crazy:

ESPN openly campaigned for him. Oh and all the former heisman winners vote on it and that included at the time a ton of big10/notre douche winners that didn't want Tennessee to get their first let alone an SEC team.

Last edited:
The only unknowns for USU are that they have brought in 6-8 JUCOs and I don't know much about them. Most are probably Daniel Grey level talent.

Combined win/loss total for the teams they beat last year was 46-66 . . . and that's if you include their bowl win.

Yep and I posted about a week ago that comparing recruiting over the past 4 yrs Ut.St average around 94th and we've averaged about 12th. Talent is not even close!

Vols Role big! It's a home opener we never lose those plus year 2 for CBJ and staff is going to be huge!

41-17!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Reactions: 1 person
I want to see Vereen knock Chuckie on his ass... I'll say 31-21 Vols

Probably the biggest game of the season for UT. It will set the tone for the rest of the season.

Just looking at the past three years. They have won around twice as many games as they have lost plus they have a win over WISCONSIN, and two of their losses have been against USC and Auburn, both close. I also think they are on a 5-6 game winning streak. This game may set our tone. Thoughts?

Wont even be close. They lost 4 of the 5 starting oline, their 2 top Wrs, their top 2 Rbs, new TE & chuckie will be 10 months off of an ACL tear. Combine that w a Rockin Neyland & I bet they have the jet engines fired up by halftime!

Reactions: 1 person
Combined win/loss total for the teams they beat last year was 46-66 . . . and that's if you include their bowl win.

If my math is correct the teams they beat won about 41% of their games. The teams we beat won about 44% (27-34) of their games. Not much difference.

Ummm, yes it is. Theirs is skewed, by not playing in the sec.

The only problem with THAT logic is that the percentage only accounts for games won. We only beat two SEC teams last year. The rest were scrubs. So, really, there isn't a whole lot of difference.

Now if you want to compare win/loss of entire schedule.......

Normally I would agree, but with all the new talented players and added speed we now have, I think the Vols can overcome an early season loss to Utah State.
I hope so anyway.....Go Vols

Normally I would agree, but with all the new talented players and added speed we now have, I think the Vols can overcome an early season loss to Utah State.
I hope so anyway.....Go Vols

I hope it doesn't come down to that... And am pretty confident that it wont!

The only problem with THAT logic is that the percentage only accounts for games won. We only beat two SEC teams last year. The rest were scrubs. So, really, there isn't a whole lot of difference.

Now if you want to compare win/loss of entire schedule.......

That's why I said their win% was skewed. By the logic of the post I quoted, Utah State wouldn't have that many wins on the SEC level. Therefore that statistic means nothing

A win would also put the Vols in much better shape to make a BOWL GAME which is a Top Priority for Butch and all of us die hard fans Gotta' have this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep and I posted about a week ago that comparing recruiting over the past 4 yrs Ut.St average around 94th and we've averaged about 12th. Talent is not even close!

Vols Role big! It's a home opener we never lose those plus year 2 for CBJ and staff is going to be huge!

41-17!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke
I'd be willing to bet that our rate of attrition far exceeds theirs. I still think we handle them without too much trouble. Once the jitters wear off, we should break away.

The two games mean nothing. Those are sec gimmes. We have ti win 4 sec games which most teams in the country can't do.

VN Store

Back