UT under potential NCAA investigation for NIL

Whatever it is the NCAA is getting so pissy about, the Tennessee state legislature should just pass a law to make it legal. That's what all the other states are doing. Several of them placed laws on the books telling the NCAA to shove off. Time for Nashville to step up and do the same.

At this point just say f*** the ncaa and keep on keepin on.
The dirty little secret about the NCAA, go back 40 years and if some school took them to court for some of their accusations, most of their authority would be deemed illegal or unconstitutional or whatever. The NCAA is one of those intuitions that for the most part was incorporated to keep the playing field level. Before NIL, violations were more obvious. My beef with the NCAA is that a) there is no excuse for an investigation to happen and a couple of years go by before the sentence is announced. b)They punish the wrong people - by the time the sanctions are levied the bad guys have moved on - it's the fans that get punished. Penn State a good example. c) Maybe 50 years ago they were fair, but now - Look at UNC's crime of giving grades for a fake class. How did they get away with it? What I have heard (correct me if wrong) is that UNC said the class wasn't just student athletes, others were taking the same fake class and because it was mixed environment, it's not an NCAA problem. (Honestly, I didn't follow it that close - I learned what I said in the last sentence at the end of a long happy hour conversation - full disclosure, so chime in if you have more details). And the LSU basketball coach blatantly sticking the finger to the NCAA, and the LSU administration allowing it.

Maybe that's the ticket - just ignore them.

I honestly feel that something like the NCAA is needed to keep college sports under control, and by that I mean establish a set of rules that keeps it fair. NIL has made this a challenge and I think there will come a day when college football will reach a point where the guys on the field aren't even students. They are pro athletes that just happen to have their stadium on a college campus, and the school is just a "Jerry Jones". The years left of eligibility are just about the only thing keeping it from going that way, and I just read some guy is in his ninth season of playing college ball.

I didnt word it very well. What I meant was you'd have to hope Spyre was smart enough to not break any rules right after this past investigation we got through. However, it seems like the rules in place are not clear and its all just the wild west right now. And FWIW, I don't complain at all about Spyre.
Problem is there weren’t a lot of rules or guidance in place early on like you said.

I read the article and there are no specifics. The only thing it confirms is that there is some kind of NCAA investigation ongoing. The rest is just speculative garbage and a rehashing of the Pruitt violations.

NCAA is really displaying its death throes. It’s the last grasp to maintain any relevancy in today’s landscape. Don’t know if they have anything here or not, but given they are trying to go after everyone with strong NIL suggests they are trying to flex their waning authority.

What this will ultimately end up with is a ton of cases before the courts. Given the way they’ve turned out so far, it’s quite the gamble and might be their own death penalty.

SCOTUS drug NCAA thru the mud and gave them a tail whopping for the world to see. NCAA is toothless. BUT, SCOTUS did give NCAA power over pay for play, the only thing they can abuse their power on.

It is still illegal to entice any prospect by NIL. It is still illegal to even offer a prospect a NIL deal. NIL is for students after they are signed. But now find me a school anywhere that waits until after a prospect is already on campus. Notice Florida (Rashada) and UT (Nico) are the bullseye for the NCAA since their #s were public knowledge. Nothing more than NCAA trying to save face.
Technically not true. NIL deals are for the athlete, regardless of school status. That's why some high school students are even signing NIL deals, like those soccer sisters that signed with Nike. So recruits are absolutely eligible to negotiate and sign NIL deals with collectives for whatever amount they can get.

It is true that schools can't offer the deal, however.

As to whether they can "entice" an athlete through NIL, I am not sure about. I would imagine they can talk about their NIL collective and how much money was given out to student athletes in a specific year. Such data is probably public knowledge anyways. I would think they talk about this without talking financials or making offers, but I don't know enough about the rules to say for sure.

Pat Forde is a clown, Tennessee needs to sue the NCAA all the way to the Supreme Court!! Because we would win and that would be the end of the NCAA once and for all!!!

The real goal has already been achieved; negative press meant to plant that seed of doubt in the minds of recruits. Hopefully it doesn't work.

If the NCAA attempts to move forward on anything NIL, I expect it will be litigated in court, where they keep losing over anything NIL related.

Are there any defined rules regarding NIL at this point, how could there be any allegations against any team?

NIL is a joke and needs to be reigned in quickly, dhowever if there are no laws in the current state, there cannot be any crimes. This pertains to Florida, Tennessee, Oregon, USC, Ole Miss, FSU, Miami, OSU etc..

This is why I hate news media (all of them). The put out a BS story about a potential investigation revealed by "Sources" but once you look a that article, there is nothing there. Just a rehash of the old Pruitt investigation (that is over) and a bunch of supposed details on the Nico $8 million dollar QB deal. This is total BS. If/when this turns out to be nothing (which it will), Pat Forde will not print an apology, he will move on to the next BS story.

Uh, UGA X lived 10 yrs which is on the high end for the breed.

Not sure what a staffer driving current players around has to do with NIL.

I'll pipe down now.
The drunk staffers driving people around has nothing to do with NIL but did lead to the death of a player. Seems much more deserving of investigation than NIL which doesn't even have an established set of rules. And if we're going to speak on UGA and NIL, care to explain how UGA landed Mims? He turned down money from other schools to go to UGA and play for free? I know you probably bark at people, but surely even you aren't that dumb.

Technically not true. NIL deals are for the athlete, regardless of school status. That's why some high school students are even signing NIL deals, like those soccer sisters that signed with Nike. So recruits are absolutely eligible to negotiate and sign NIL deals with collectives for whatever amount they can get.

It is true that schools can't offer the deal.

As to whether they can "entice" an athlete through NIL, I am not sure about. I would imagine they can talk about their NIL collective and how much money was given out to student athletes in a specific year. Such data is probably public knowledge anyways. I would think they talk about this without talking financials or making offers, but I don't know enough about the rules to say for sure.
The only thing schools are allowed to do (wink, wink) is show a prospect athlete what someone on the team makes at their position.

You are correct states have passed laws allowing HS athletes to make money (that’s a slippery slope of HS kids being bought to play across town) but any kid that does so, is in violation of NCAA laws. Legal by HS measure, illegal by NCAA measure. (Try to make sense of that). However, 9 State AGs currently have a lawsuit against NCAA for this matter, interested to see how it plays out.

Wonder why Forde didn’t write an article on the gators? Everyone except Vandy will be investigated by the NCAA soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3344.png
    IMG_3344.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Whatever it is the NCAA is getting so pissy about, the Tennessee state legislature should just pass a law to make it legal. That's what all the other states are doing. Several of them placed laws on the books telling the NCAA to shove off. Time for Nashville to step up and do the same.

Exactly.

Tennessee needs to tell the NCAA to STFU and GTFO.

Just like LSU does.

Just like UNC does.

Just like Michigan does...Hell everyone KNOWS they blatantly cheated and what? They told the NCAA to GTFO and won a National Chip!!!

The NCAA can kiss my butt. If we cave to them and let them mess up our athletics when we are THE reigning 2X champ in the Directors Cup for all sports then the school is run by fools. So tired of this BS.

And all yall " Chicken Littles" crying in the corner need to grow a set. Act like beitches and get treated like one. Which is exactly what will happen if we bend the knee to the feckless NCAA. They are dead men walking and they know it.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I was told that NIL was great for the game. That’s what some of the “high” iq fans told me Have said before and will say again, it is going to kill college sports. Period

Dude, you posted over 20 times in 30 minutes on the same topic across 3 different threads .... with each post assuming the worst case scenario for Tennessee. You are trolling.

Forde has an anti-Tennessee agenda. That has been clear for some time. If Trey Wallace's reporting is accurate, then you are jumping the gun, to say the least.
What if he is Forde?!? 😂

If this is true, then we better see Ryan Day brought to the gallows for his ”this roster cost me $13 million” quote.
Totally agree. Michigan winning this year has panicked OSU, they are throwing NIL money like no one else. Buying all these players, what happens to Day if he doesn’t win a title? Does it put him on the hot seat? It should.

VN Store

Back