UT ProDay Today

Well if he doesn't think enough of UT to get "in the best shape of his life" before now... NOT a VFL.

He lost 50 lbs at the request of the previous coach. That seems pretty dedicated to me.

So was A Foster and he went undrafted.. he could run, block and catch....

Arian got bad mouthed before the draft by you-know-who.......who is a UT employee again.

Just another reason why this fellow isn't nearly as highly regarded outside of the state as he is inside the state

Reactions: 1 person
Arian got bad mouthed before the draft by you-know-who.......who is a UT employee again.

Just another reason why this fellow isn't nearly as highly regarded outside of the state as he is inside the state[/QUOTE

Yeah he probably said a lot of things that could also be seen on game film. Maybe also said alot of things his teammates at all levels have said.

Just another reason why this fellow isn't nearly as highly regarded outside of the state as he is inside the state[/QUOTE

Yeah he probably said a lot of things that could also be seen on game film. Maybe also said alot of things his teammates at all levels have said.

:birgits_giggle:

Foster became an All-Pro rather quickly into his career. Hard to argue for the person that bad mouthed him to some NFL scouts

Just out of curiosity - do we know which NFL team didn't attend our pro day?

I heard that question asked 2-3 times yesterday from different sources who should know, but no one evidently did. Don’t know which team wasn’t there.

Just another reason why this fellow isn't nearly as highly regarded outside of the state as he is inside the state

Foster, as we’ve seen over the years, is a malcontent loon. If Fulmer did indeed “bad mouth” that idiot, he was only being candid and telling the truth, which is important for a college coach, otherwise he loses credibility with the NFL and it ultimately hurts his other honest, hard-working players/nfl prospects who do things the right way when he’s asked about them.

Hate Fulmer all you want, but he’s one of our greatest Vols ever....while Foster is.....not so much.

Reactions: 2 people

Anyone that knocks a player they liked on tape based on a Pro Day is simply bad at their job. There is nothing John Kelly and Rashaan Gaulden could do at the combine or pro day that would make me thing any less of them given their incredible film when football was actually being played.

Maybe the fine folks on this board can help me improve my football acumen.

Reading this quote about the incredible film on Gaulden, and a previous quote calling him an ELITE nickel corner made me wonder...

What is an ELITE nickel corner? Is it the 65th best corner in the NFL? Not quite good enough to play corner, but the best non-corner cornerback in the league? Are not nickel corners, while incredibly valuable, generally the third best corner on a team?

Even if NFL teams are in Nickel 80% of the time, would an elite player be taken off the field when two others that do the same thing are not?

Last edited:

That is correct. :good!:

Foster, as we’ve seen over the years, is a malcontent loon. If Fulmer did indeed “bad mouth” that idiot, he was only being candid and telling the truth, which is important for a college coach, otherwise he loses credibility with the NFL and it ultimately hurts his other honest, hard-working players/nfl prospects who do things the right way when he’s asked about them.

Hate Fulmer all you want, but he’s one of our greatest Vols ever....while Foster is.....not so much.

He was a 4 time Pro Bowler who never gave the Texans an ounce of heartache, except when he was injured.

Didn't say anything about hating Fulmer, so don't twist my words. Just stated a fact and you didn't like it. Foster's NFL coaches and his fellow players liked him fine. You're upset because he said some crazy crap about UT...I understand. I didn't like it either, but Fulmer bad mouthed him. He told several NFL scouts he was a "fumbling machine" and "would let you down in the clutch", neither of which were true

Didn't say anything about hating Fulmer, so don't twist my words. Just stated a fact and you didn't like it. Foster's NFL coaches and his fellow players liked him fine. You're upset because he said some crazy crap about UT...I understand. I didn't like it either, but Fulmer bad mouthed him. He told several NFL scouts he was a "fumbling machine" and "would let you down in the clutch", neither of which were true

“Hate” for Fulmer pulsated through your post....you said it without saying it. Lemme guess.....he stabbed Johnny in the back, right?

“Hate” for Fulmer pulsated through your post....you said it without saying it. Lemme guess.....he stabbed Johnny in the back, right?

Robbed Brent Schaeffer of his God given birthright to start at QB. #NeverForget

:)

Only tape matters eh? How many times have we had to endure one of your posts on here discussing someome’s draft positioning where you said “if he runs a the great 40 that I’m expecting him to run at the combine/his pro day, I think he’ll be picked even higher”?? Answer....about a million. You said it last so many freaking times last year alone.....Kamara and Malone are just two examples? Would you like me to go back and find the exact quotes??

I think you get confused when I talk draft position versus talent. Pro Days and things like the 40 definitely impact a players draft position. I've never denied that. However, I personally don't put much stock in them with regard to players I know very well from watching their tape.

So for me when I'm judging talent, I put little stock in the Pro Days and 40. But I do recognize that many of the dumb evaluators put a lot of stock into it which is why I cite them when talking about draft stock.

Reading this quote about the incredible film on Gaulden, and a previous quote calling him an ELITE nickel corner made me wonder...

What is an ELITE nickel corner? Is it the 65th best corner in the NFL? Not quite good enough to play corner, but the best non-corner cornerback in the league? Are not nickel corners, while incredibly valuable, generally the third best corner on a team?

Even if NFL teams are in Nickel 80% of the time, would an elite player be taken off the field when two others that do the same thing are not?

The nickel corner plays inside against the slot receiver when teams go to 3 WR sets. In today's NFL the nickel corner is seen as essentially a starting position given the fact teams have 3 WRs on the field 70% of the time now.

The nickel corner isn't always the 3rd best CB on the team. He just had a specialized skill set that is more suited to play the slot receiver than it is to play on the outside. Remember in today's NFL many teams put their best WR in the slot or use the slot extensively (see the New England Patriots).

Being elite at the nickel is now a valuable skill in the NFL.

Former UT TE Ethan Wolf said he thinks his ability to block and catch helps his value. He said he’s patterned his game after former UT
great Jason Witten. He was disappointed at not being invited to NFL combine. He said if he’s not drafted, he’s sure he’ll get a free agent invite

-Hyams

Edit:
Wolf said he met new UT coach Jeremy Pruitt and Pruitt told
Ethan to tell his younger brother, TE Eli Wolf, to gain weight. Regarding
training, Wolf said Pruitt is `kicking their butts’ and the mindset appears to
be `if you don’t like it, get out’

Wolf is probably not as far along down the line in upper body development as he should be. But I've seen that kid make some pretty nice catches, and to be fair dropped many of them. I think part of many of the athletes issues are butch affected, but part of it is they are soft. Poor tackling, dropped passes, weak pass rush etc etc etc. I love em but truth is truth.

Now you are dealing in-sanity.

Who cares about pro day? Tape matters most. All pro day is good for is finding diamonds in the rough. Guys you're not aware of that test well athletically and then force you to go and watch their tape.

That is what Dylan Cole (Texans LB) did last year. I never heard of him since he's a D2 kid. He tests like a freak athlete at his pro day. I watch his tape on YouTube and I'm blown away. I said he had Zach Thomas potential and should be drafted. He goes undrafted and I called him a steal. Then as a rookie he play significant snaps for the Texans as an undrafted rookie and even flashed on Sunday Night Football.

Anyone that knocks a player they liked on tape based on a Pro Day is simply bad at their job. There is nothing John Kelly and Rashaan Gaulden could do at the combine or pro day that would make me thing any less of them given their incredible film when football was actually being played.

Tape? Where does a peon like you get all this tape? Staples?

23 reps is outstanding for a punter, and somewhat poor for an OLineman. So, it’s both...Trevor is beastly strong for a punter, while most of our linemen were pathetic weaklings.

That’s probably more than McKenzie did

Was an absolute an terror with the ball in his hands.
Let's make him the backup safety...

Let's make Kamara come off the bench.

Hot damn Jumper looks terrific!! Start him Shoop!!

Butch Jones...i have no words to describe my emotions toward your ineptitude.

His dad may convince Gruden to get on board with him and draft his son on the 2nd day, so he can have a decent payday in the N.F.L.
I see many better players at his position going before him but I think rather than be a 7th rounder, his dad will get him on the Raiders in the 2nd day.

And the best part of all was the serious defending and praise butch got from this website and how hard anyone who questioned him was attacked.
Good times man

And the best part of all was the serious defending and praise butch got from this website and how hard anyone who questioned him was attacked.
Good times man

You finally able to swallow food and properly mouthbreathe again? :good!:

The nickel corner plays inside against the slot receiver when teams go to 3 WR sets. In today's NFL the nickel corner is seen as essentially a starting position given the fact teams have 3 WRs on the field 70% of the time now.

The nickel corner isn't always the 3rd best CB on the team. He just had a specialized skill set that is more suited to play the slot receiver than it is to play on the outside. Remember in today's NFL many teams put their best WR in the slot or use the slot extensively (see the New England Patriots).

Being elite at the nickel is now a valuable skill in the NFL.

Didn't say it wasn't a valuable position. Teams need good 3rd receivers too but I have never heard of someone aspiring to that position. It happens when they aren't good enough to be a 1 or 2. They don't get paid like 1s and 2s either.

I question the word elite for a player that plays the same position as two other players yet is not on the field 30% of the time in favor of the other two. Who covers the slot receiver when the offense is in a two receiver set and the nickel is not on the field?

Please describe the skill-set difference between an elite corner and elite nickel corner.

VN Store

Back