UT-Arkansas article

I have seen the debate between the east this year and "still a year away" (2016). This is the first time I have seen 2 years away (2017) just to be in serious contention for the east. I haven't been the most on board the hype train but if we have to wait until 2017 for that expectation, we have gone seriously wrong somewhere.

I don't know if I could take another summer like this one as far as anticipation/hype. It WOULD be a huge letdown to have to wait an extra year. I played golf with a guy from Kentucky today. He had a lot to say about Tennessee's rise. HE also compared UK to UT and said he thinks Stoops will make a difference at UK in time, but he realizes UK is a B-Ball school. He roots for UK B Ball and Notre Dame in Football. I told him he could just root for the big Orange and make it simpler.:thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
Does their QB have a name that lends itself to be easily used as a verb like Stoerner? Example: My wife was carrying a lasagna in heels last night and Stoernered it all over the dog.

Reactions: 2 people
Personally I think Arkansas is setting themselves up for a bit of a let down. There is high probability that their defense will be less than stellar. They might flat out stink on that side of the ball.

I think Arkansas is a little over hyped as well. They'll be one dimensional on offense imo.They'll have a great running game of course, but from what I've seen from Brandon Allen, I don't think he's a great passer.Plus I can't even name one receiver they've got.They lost a couple of good defensive players as well.

Arkansas is going to be a much tougher game than most expect.

In the Arky spring game their QB has made huge improvements and he was making passes all over the field and that will open up their ground and pound running game more.

The Arky O line is full of big hogs that can wear down a D line and LB's and never forget that last year they had 2 RB's that both ran for over 1,000 yards.

I think it's a toss up game but that we can get the WIN as long as our freshmen on the D line rotation can hold back the hogs O line and do a decent job of stuffing their run game.

Right now I'd pick our Vols by 3 points.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

In the Arky spring game their QB has made huge improvements and he was making passes all over the field and that will open up their ground and pound running game more.

THE ARKY O LINE IS FULL OF BIG HOGS THAT CAN WEAR DOWN A D LINE and LB's and never forget that last year they had 2 RB's that both ran for over 1,000 yards.

I think it's a toss up game but that we can get the WIN as long as our freshmen on the D line rotation can hold back the hogs O line and do a decent job of stuffing their run game.

And LAST year they would have worn down O'Brien and the Williams Brothers, and tired our DEs somewhat. This season IF K-Mac/Tuttle get it quick (and I think they will) No one gets tired! Wear out the starters and other one starters pop right out there...don't even have to run...cuz Bieliema hates the hurry up...cuz it hurts players. :)

The Arky O line is full of big hogs that can wear down a D line and LB's and never forget that last year they had 2 RB's that both ran for over 1,000 yards.

Wasn't he making a bunch of great passes because he was leading the 1s against the 2s on defense?

I'm less worried about Arkansas than most seem to be.

Williams and Collins both ran for over 1,000 yards, but that seemed to be more a product of them staying healthy and their team being focused on the running game. Neither had particularly impressive years. Here are all of the SEC running backs who had at 150 carries and had more, as many, or close to as many YPC as Collins and Williams:

Chubb: 7.06
J. Robinson: 6.33
Derrick Henry: 5.76
Jonathon Williams: 5.64
Leonard Fournette: 5.53
Alex Collins: 5.39
Cam. Artis-Payne: 5.31
R. Hansbrough: 5.29
M. Murphy: 5.22
N. Marshall: 5.22

They were very good, but only a bit above average in YPC for the SEC. They are your average "good, but not outstanding" SEC starting RBs.

Moreover, both got a large chunk of their yards against three of the worst run defenses in football.

Williams had 5.6 YPC and 1190 yards. But take away Texas Tech (124th/128 in FBS on run defense), Nicholls State, and UAB, and he had 4.4 YPC and 748 rushing yards.

Collins has 1100 yards and 5.4 per carry. But he had 410 of those against Texas Tech, Nicholls State, and UAB. Without those three games he ran for 4.5 per carry and 670 yards.

Both of their backs were solid-good against SEC caliber teams, and fantastic against garbage teams. Against our run defense, I would be surprised to see them average 4.4/4.5 per carry. Hardly a dominating tandem, though they are solid to be sure.

Not to forget, even with this tandem, Arkansas was 5th in the SEC in rushing yards per game, and 5th in rushing YPC.

Add in a solid though not outstanding QB who is no threat to run and whom we can pin our ears back against on passing downs, add in the fact that they lost a decent bit of their defense, and add in that it is in Knoxville and I am pretty confident that we win this game.

TL;DR Collins and Williams pulled a Myles Garrett, getting most of their stats against weak competition. Against the cream of the crop, their numbers were pretty pedestrian.

This game bothers me more then any other game in 2015. I agree that we will have the best QB and our second team DTÂ’s will be better then last yearÂ’s starters. All of this and more is why our expectations are so high for the season.

I come at this as a problem game from the perception of whatÂ’s between the ears of young men. If we come into this game 4-0 and have just beaten Florida, to get the monkey off everyoneÂ’s back, what are the players going to hear for the week leading up to this game. No one can beat us. You guys are the best ever. SEC champs all the way. As well as the attention given to them from their snuggle partners. The hype they receive this week will certainly be over the top.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers the “Archie Who”, first half of OK game in the Orange bowl, Memphis, and even the GA/Fl game last year as examples of games when your head is bigger then the game.

This game bothers me more then any other game in 2015. I agree that we will have the best QB and our second team DTÂ’s will be better then last yearÂ’s starters. All of this and more is why our expectations are so high for the season.

I come at this as a problem game from the perception of whatÂ’s between the ears of young men. If we come into this game 4-0 and have just beaten Florida, to get the monkey off everyoneÂ’s back, what are the players going to hear for the week leading up to this game. No one can beat us. You guys are the best ever. SEC champs all the way. As well as the attention given to them from their snuggle partners. The hype they receive this week will certainly be over the top.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers the “Archie Who”, first half of OK game in the Orange bowl, Memphis, and even the GA/Fl game last year as examples of games when your head is bigger then the game.

Having beaten a Florida team without an O-line (or an offense at all), and an Oklahoma team that is more back-end top 25 than playoff caliber, we will not be hearing much talk of "best team ever" or "clear SEC champs". They will be hearing that they got business done against teams that they should be beating anyway, and that the real challenge is about to start.

And the same thing is true of Arkansas as is true of us. They are a rapid riser with dreams of pushing for a big bowl and the SEC championship game. Why would they not be hearing that they are the best team ever after beating A&M and starting 4-0?

Regardless, of who wins, both programs are on the rise. Arkansas will likely be undefeated going into the game. We have a decent chance of being undefeated ourselves if everything goes our way.

Maybe or at worst one loss. It depends on their game with A&M.

To be fair, any team in the west is a bad draw. But if I had to pick two teams for us to play, it would be Miss State and A&M.

If we're just basing this on the upcoming year, I might pick to play LSU rather than Miss State...mainly due to the former's recurring issues with production from its QB last season.

Having beaten a Florida team without an O-line (or an offense at all), and an Oklahoma team that is more back-end top 25 than playoff caliber, we will not be hearing much talk of "best team ever" or "clear SEC champs". They will be hearing that they got business done against teams that they should be beating anyway, and that the real challenge is about to start.

And the same thing is true of Arkansas as is true of us. They are a rapid riser with dreams of pushing for a big bowl and the SEC championship game. Why would they not be hearing that they are the best team ever after beating A&M and starting 4-0?

Let's hope we are having this debate about the headlines in a few months.

Unfortunately, I think the hype will be much more than warranted under the scenario painted. Headlines sell reasonable stories are not as exciting

This is what I think... Tennessee has everyone spooked. The journalists that are fans of other teams knows if Tennessee beats Oklahoma, then Florida.. Tennessee will be building up steam and will be a force.. As another poster said.. We have talent but swagger also.. I can't wait!

The hype is huge this year, but does anyone worry that our players will start believing it?

Hopefully you're right and I'm not.

If you are right then Jones is not the guy. Just that simple. He has a better roster this year than at least 9 opponents. The players are in their 3rd year in his system. UGA is vulnerable for a number of reasons not the least of which is the fact that they play both Bama and Auburn.

Jones has recruited very well. He has developed IMO even better. The last piece is proving that he and his staff can get it done in game prep and on game day. Predicting outright that UT will win the East this year is probably too much. Saying they won't even make noise... is predicting WAY too much as is predicting they're two years away.

If you are right then Jones is not the guy. Just that simple. He has a better roster this year than at least 9 opponents. The players are in their 3rd year in his system. UGA is vulnerable for a number of reasons not the least of which is the fact that they play both Bama and Auburn.

Jones has recruited very well. He has developed IMO even better. The last piece is proving that he and his staff can get it done in game prep and on game day. Predicting outright that UT will win the East this year is probably too much. Saying they won't even make noise... is predicting WAY too much as is predicting they're two years away.

Well stated. This is the sec and games will go back and forth yearly, it's just what happens here. WTS, we should at least be a contender every year.. starting now.

Maybe Jones isn't the guy, maybe he's at best a 10 win coach, no matter the talent. This season will tell us a lot about who he is. I think if we're just an 8 win team with this schedule, then he isn't the guy.

You agree that we are (not a year) but 2 years away from even doing damage just in the east?

I agree that we probably are one year away, but I also believe the breakout could occur this season.

I do not agree that we are still multiple years away.

I agree that we probably are one year away, but I also believe the breakout could occur this season.

I do not agree that we are still multiple years away.

But do Dre, Cube and 'yella' agree?

I think Arkansas is a little over hyped as well. They'll be one dimensional on offense imo.They'll have a great running game of course, but from what I've seen from Brandon Allen, I don't think he's a great passer.Plus I can't even name one receiver they've got.They lost a couple of good defensive players as well.

Keon Hatcher is good, but we don't have much behind him. We have some really good TEs though. We have a 4* speedy juco WR coming in but you never know with jucos.

I think this will be an outstanding game, just hope it doesn't come down to the kicking game

NEVER AGAIN!!!! Absolutely the most RIDICULOUS and EMBARRASSING play in the history of UT football ( and I'm counting the LSU redo play, and the Music City REDO plays). Dooley.. WTF?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back