Unofficial TN v Carson-Newman (exh) pre-game thread

I think it is very likely Alexander starts game 1 but as I have said before we aren't going to know this teams rotation until after Santa comes. A lot of changes all year I bet

Definitely possible...Alexander showed some toughness tonight I hadn't seen from him prior, positive sign. Probably going against Walker everyday has left him no choice, the competition appears to have helped everyone.

You told me who starts is what matters, no?

All seriousness...not sure who will start at the 5, I liked what Alexander brought tonight, thought he looked better than Walker. Both guys are going to play a lot, and if I had to guess minutes/starts will fluctuate back and forth.

Walker played a lot of high post, but at the free throw line area instead of at the top of the key like Lew Evans used to position himself. When the ball went to Walker he often slammed himself into the paint banging with defenders brave enough to step in front of him. But he was under control. When he was stopped he'd often flip the ball out to a wing on the side. Evans usually worked the passes around the perimeter... typically giving it up to a guard that was also playing on top.

Xander was often down low and would take a step or two out along the baseline.

Williams played a lot of 5. I can't remember if he was on the floor with Xander much.

He's redshirting

Definitely needs a RS season to work on his Defense and rebounding. No inside game to speak of on offense either.
Could see him being a role player in a couple of years though.
Nice interior pass to alexander. bout all I saw from him.

He's redshirting

I'd bet it's wait and see. If he progresses mentally and could help out, I wouldn't be surprised to see it burned even if it's well into January. He's probably not going to have a humongous physical transformation even a couple of years out, so if he picks up Barnsey's system quickly enough they'll use him.

I'd bet it's wait and see. If he progresses mentally and could help out, I wouldn't be surprised to see it burned even if it's well into January. He's probably not going to have a humongous physical transformation even a couple of years out, so if he picks up Barnsey's system quickly enough they'll use him.

Doubtful...if the plan is to redshirt his workout/nutrition program is completely different than if the plan to play him.

Any word on Darrington. I thought that Daniel was questionable, but he played a lot and looked good running the offense. I thought that he ran it better than Bone, but Bone can sure scoot down the court with the ball in his hands.

I hope that Clemson presses TN. That would be some good work for the guards. CRB did say that it will be a totally different man-to-man look.

What are everyone's thoughts on Rick's musical chairs rotation in the 2nd half?

On one hand it's an exhibition and everyone played... But I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy going from having the massive lineup of Alexander, Walker, Grant and Admiral all in the game at the same time for literally 30 seconds before taking Alexander and Walker out and sliding Grant and Admiral into a smaller lineup when CN called timeout to adjust, and THEN 45 seconds later subbing them both out for Kent and Walker after a foul.

I know it's Carson Newman, but it allowed our players to be fresh enough to push the tempo on offense and press CN every other possession on defense. Rick is going to use our depth to make it difficult for teams to make in-game adjustments against us. I think we see a deep rotation to start the year.

What are everyone's thoughts on Rick's musical chairs rotation in the 2nd half?

On one hand it's an exhibition and everyone played... But I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy going from having the massive lineup of Alexander, Walker, Grant and Admiral all in the game at the same time for literally 30 seconds before taking Alexander and Walker out and sliding Grant and Admiral into a smaller lineup when CN called timeout to adjust, and THEN 45 seconds later subbing them both out for Kent and Walker after a foul.

I know it's Carson Newman, but it allowed our players to be fresh enough to push the tempo on offense and press CN every other possession on defense. Rick is going to use our depth to make it difficult for teams to make in-game adjustments against us. I think we see a deep rotation to start the year.

I think we will see these "big" and "quick" line-ups interchanged quite often, even in the regular season. It will keep defenses on their heels, and I believe Barnes has spoke about this in a pre-season presser if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe I'm just delusional. :crazy:

I'm glad that Barnes was making frequent changes. Depth and versatility are this team's strengths. Best to get the regulars used to being moving parts and learn to always be ready to go.

I guess it's currently a 9 man rotation with Darrington and Johnson likely to get looks at being in the mix. I'm leaving someone out. 9+2+Kent equals 12.

Bone
Bowden
Xander
Walker
Admiral

Williams
Fulk
Pons
Turner
Daniel

Darrington
Johnson

Zach

I guess it was pretty much a 10 man rotation.

Any word on Darrington. I thought that Daniel was questionable, but he played a lot and looked good running the offense. I thought that he ran it better than Bone, but Bone can sure scoot down the court with the ball in his hands.

I hope that Clemson presses TN. That would be some good work for the guards. CRB did say that it will be a totally different man-to-man look.

Bone is exciting to me because he's very quick with the ball in his hands, but I'll agree with you on Daniel running our offense best. Several times tonight Daniel setup the offense perfectly for us to beat the zone and get an easy basket. Our spacing was great and our ball movement was really awesome to watch whenever he was on the floor. A point guard who gets the guys in position like that will do wonders for our FG% because of how many easy shots and open looks are created. Also thought Grant was impressive on the post a couple of times when he drew multiple defenders in the paint and kicked it out to an open shooter.

Anybody listen to the VNW and hear where Bert Bert was? He skipped several out of town games last year. I hope that his dad is okay... several months ago my mother told me that Hank's church had him on the prayer list.

Also I miss Gus. He missed several games last year and looked like he wasn't feeling all that well. He's been in Little Creek all during the football season.

Anybody listen to the VNW and hear where Bert Bert was? He skipped several out of town games last year. I hope that his dad is okay... several months ago my mother told me that Hank's church had him on the prayer list.

Also I miss Gus. He missed several games last year and looked like he wasn't feeling all that well. He's been in Little Creek all during the football season.

Was Hamer the one on with Bob?

I listened a short while and couldn't figure it out for sure

Bone is exciting to me because he's very quick with the ball in his hands, but I'll agree with you on Daniel running our offense best. Several times tonight Daniel setup the offense perfectly for us to beat the zone and get an easy basket. Our spacing was great and our ball movement was really awesome to watch whenever he was on the floor. A point guard who gets the guys in position like that will do wonders for our FG% because of how many easy shots and open looks are created. Also thought Grant was impressive on the post a couple of times when he drew multiple defenders in the paint and kicked it out to an open shooter.

My take on Grant at the RTL was real good passer, ran the court well, high IQ, explosive defender at the rim, struggled to finish baskets on offense, can't throw it in the TN River from the free throw line. He's also very nice if you get a chance to talk to him and he has a great attitude... at least based on hearing him in interviews. Barnes hit a couple of homers with Williams, Walker, and Fulkerson. I'd like to look back at the offers for those 3.

Reactions: 1 person
Bone in 2 games (Davidson & Carson Newman) has 20pts 19ast and 2TO's, not too shabby.

I wouldn't mind a few more TOs if he'd play more aggressively. Barnes even dogged him for those 2 TOs though... so it's probably not coming naturally to Josh yet. Thinking too much instead of reacting. Once he gets comfortable... watch out. He's coast-to-coast in a flash.

10 players had 10+ minutes I believe.

Without looking it up I'd guess Turner was 10th. Bowden was kind of stealthy, efficient, and productive... not sure if he played a lot or a little relative to the rest. I'd guess less. Pons not a lot either I'd guess.

Without looking it up I'd guess Turner was 10th. Bowden was kind of stealthy, efficient, and productive... not sure if he played a lot or a little relative to the rest. I'd guess less. Pons not a lot either I'd guess.

Daniel 23
Williams 23
Bowden 21
Bone 21
Schofield 19
Alexander 19
Turner 16
Pons 15
Walker 12
Fulkerson 10

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store