Unofficial TN v Carson-Newman (exh) pre-game thread

I thought that Bowden looked good. Turner looked kind of meh. I haven't checked the stats though.

Bowden played within himself and good to great defense (3-6 from 3), Turner forced a few shots and was eh on defense (still was 3-8 from 3 which is pretty good, and that's his role). I understand why the staff trusts Bowden the most of our SG options.

Also thought Daniel looked great, as advertised, and was a great passer.

We looked great in general, but Carson-Newman.

I almost feel like Bowden could be our most important player. His defensive mindset mixed with the ability of hitting the 3.

Reactions: 1 person
I almost feel like Bowden could be our most important player. His defensive mindset mixed with the ability of hitting the 3.

Bowden looked better offensively than a year ago. He's expanding beyond camping out at a spot, catching, and shooting. He's far from having Alan Houston-like moves with the ball, but he's not a statue anymore.

Bowden looked better offensively than a year ago. He's expanding beyond camping out at a spot, catching, and shooting. He's far from having Alan Houston-like moves with the ball, but he's not a statue anymore.

That'll definitely open things up more for him if he's willing to attack some. Yeah I feel like he would camp out in the corner too much last year.

That'll definitely open things up more for him if he's willing to attack some. Yeah I feel like he would camp out in the corner too much last year.

Seems like last year he'd rarely even pump-fake, dribble and slide laterally, and jack it up. Mostly catch and shoot iirc. Occasionally cutting to the hoop, but not regularly. He's going to be a key to pull out defenses and allowing Williams, Xander, Fulk and the rest to operate near the basket.

What are everyone's thoughts on Rick's musical chairs rotation in the 2nd half?

On one hand it's an exhibition and everyone played... But I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy going from having the massive lineup of Alexander, Walker, Grant and Admiral all in the game at the same time for literally 30 seconds before taking Alexander and Walker out and sliding Grant and Admiral into a smaller lineup when CN called timeout to adjust, and THEN 45 seconds later subbing them both out for Kent and Walker after a foul.

I know it's Carson Newman, but it allowed our players to be fresh enough to push the tempo on offense and press CN every other possession on defense. Rick is going to use our depth to make it difficult for teams to make in-game adjustments against us. I think we see a deep rotation to start the year.

Its an exhibition game. No one cares. Its a time for them to try different things and line ups. Get people playing time. Stop reading anything into it. What you saw is nothing like what you will see when it counts. It was a public scrimmage.

I thought Turner showed a lot of improvement on D from last year.

I hate to say it, but I didn't notice. How do you feel about him overall?

I think he can be the kind of player that can make the difference in a close game. Most likely coming off the bench and scoring in bunches a la Jamal Crawford. Crazy to make that comparison (on the SEC level, obviously)?

Just listened, but sounded like a lot of his effort was gambling on the pass. He's always gonna be somewhat of a liability guarding the ball.

I hate to say it, but I didn't notice. How do you feel about him overall?

I think he can be the kind of player that can make the difference in a close game. Most likely coming off the bench and scoring in bunches a la Jamal Crawford. Crazy to make that comparison (on the SEC level, obviously)?

I am probablt higher on him than most. He is the best shooter on the team and I think the effort is there defensively but just needs to be smart.

I think Crawford makes a ton of sense as a SEC comparison. He needs to improve his ball handling however.

VN Store

Back