UK offering Calipari $500,000 for 66 months?

I believe that's simply his buyout. Growing sentiment is that he stays at least one more year with a final chance at redemption.

I honestly don't think any truly great coach is going to touch it. Assuredly not one with an NCAA title. That would mean he got fired after winning 23 games and finishing in 2nd in the conference with a top 3 NCAA seed.

They landed Calipari as he was outrunning the NCAA at Memphis. They had to settle for Billy Clyde after they got turned down by 2 or 3 other names. They also had to settle for Tubby, and when Tubby came Pitino had them humming and left him a stacked roster.

In their entire history they've never hired a coach who'd won a title elsewhere. Those guys just don't move jobs willingly.
Kentucky didn't settle for Tubby Smith. He was the target of C.M. Newton from the very beginning.

I believe that's simply his buyout. Growing sentiment is that he stays at least one more year with a final chance at redemption.

I honestly don't think any truly great coach is going to touch it. Assuredly not one with an NCAA title. That would mean he got fired after winning 23 games and finishing in 2nd in the conference with a top 3 NCAA seed.

They landed Calipari as he was outrunning the NCAA at Memphis. They had to settle for Billy Clyde after they got turned down by 2 or 3 other names. They also had to settle for Tubby, and when Tubby came Pitino had them humming and left him a stacked roster.

In their entire history they've never hired a coach who'd won a title elsewhere. Those guys just don't move jobs willingly.
Kentucky didn't settle for Tubby Smith. He was the target of C.M. Newton from the beginning.

Last edited:
They'd probably be glad to get Hurley but I doubt he'd take the job. I doubt May would ditch Michigan now, for career reasons. Smart, maybe but that Texas stain hasn't washed out yet. I'd guess Oats. They've shown with Calipari that they'll hire someone with less than stellar character.

I would NOT want Oats coaching my team. Talks out of the side of his mouth (Literally) and both sides too. Whatever Travails beset Oats will be well deserved.

Reactions: EasternVol
Barney didn't hire Calipari, he was hired by the trustees of the K Fund, following Barney's hire of Billy Gillespie from A&M which did not work out so well.

Pearl is tired of flying around the SEC on propeller driven aircraft and coaching in front of 9,500 people each night, he would leave for Kentucky or Louisville, coach Steevee might have to fend for himself with a move,

The sleeper in the coaching merry go round is Tommy Lloyd at Arizona who can coach, fairly good recruiter but may be on the outside looking in at an Arizona Big 10 program.

Last edited:
Barney didn't hire Calipari, he was hired by the trustees of the K Fund, following Barney's hire of Billy Gillespie from A&M which did not work out so well.

Pearl is tired of flying around the SEC on propeller driven aircraft and coaching in front of 9,500 people each night, he would leave for Kentucky or Louisville, coach Steevee might have to fend for himself with a move,

The sleeper in the coaching merry go round is Tommy Lloyd at Arizona who can coach, fairly good recruiter but may be on the outside looking in at an Arizona Big 10 program.
Big 12, not Big 10.

I'll be shocked if Cal is fired, to be honest. It simply isn't financially responsible to fire him because it was never financially responsible to give him a lifetime contract.

Let's assume they're willing to spend $10 million/yr on the coach they want. You'll most likely have to give a new coach a 6-yr deal, so that is $60 million. Then you owe Cal $34 million. Then, unless you're hiring Donovan or Jay Wright (unlikely), you're probably on the hook for that coach's buyout. Bruce Pearl's buyout, for example, is $17,450,000 until April 1st. After that, it presumably drops, not sure how much. Let's say it drops to a likely conservative round figure of $12 million.

It will cost UK $106 million dollars over 6 years to bring in someone else who they HOPE will be more successful.

Now, what coach is essentially worth $17.6 mil/yr to bring in and replace Cal?

Additionally, you'll be firing and hiring a new AD if Cal is fired. Barnhart and Cal are intrinsically tied to each other thanks to the details of the contract. If Cal takes the fall, Mitch goes with him soon after.

There is offset language in Cal's contract that stipulate he make reasonable effort to obtain employment, but who knows how that will be enforced. It could, in theory reduce UK's financial burden, but not entirely unless Cal lands another high profile job without taking a pay cut, which isn't likely.

Last edited:
I get they expect to be playing for a title every year, but it’s not like he’s a horrible coach. I think they’d be stupid to part ways with him.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back