UK offering Calipari $500,000 for 66 months?

Yeah, of course. May? Oats? Hurley? Smart? His stint at Texas was brutal, but has reinvigorated Marquette
Hurley is a the one who may jump at the opportunity. Ky will pay more than UCONN. Plus he may want another challenge, esp if UCONN runs the table as expected.

But I still don’t think Cal will go anywhere. Imo, he will take a different approach and hit the portal to find juniors and seniors.

And some people are upset that college athletes are getting paid…….that’s crazy money, no job is worth a half million a month.

Hurley is a the one who may jump at the opportunity. Ky will pay more than UCONN. Plus he may want another challenge, esp if UCONN runs the table as expected.

But I still don’t think Cal will go anywhere. Imo, he will take a different approach and hit the portal to find juniors and seniors.
Cal runs a model there no one else would have dreamed of in that job. It's a false narrative that he can't coach. He's a damn good coach, like him or not. The fan base and more importantly, big boosters, embraced the one and done model. Cal got with WWW and Nike. He won a national championship sort of early with the model. The NBA is littered with UK players. Many big time contributors. It's hard to get a new group of players to gel in one season. Cal is faced with that every year. The brass at UK could mandate a different method at any time, yet haven't done so. He's not going anywhere

Kentucky will offer money over time because of the mitigation clause. Cal’s going to want it in a lump sum so he can get another job without giving up his KY money.

Cal runs a model there no one else would have dreamed of in that job. It's a false narrative that he can't coach. He's a damn good coach, like him or not. The fan base and more importantly, big boosters, embraced the one and done model. Cal got with WWW and Nike. He won a national championship sort of early with the model. The NBA is littered with UK players. Many big time contributors. It's hard to get a new group of players to gel in one season. Cal is faced with that every year. The brass at UK could mandate a different method at any time, yet haven't done so. He's not going anywhere
I grew up and live in Shelby County, so I’m certainly familiar with Cal. His one national title had some experience though. Darius Miller was a 6th man senior. Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb were sophomores, and Anthony Davis was just an elite freshman.

Cal is a great motivator and can make young guys buy-in. He’s an adequate floor coach, but that is his deficiency. He lacks in the in-game coaching. He went to the dribble-drive offense at Memphis and kind of stuck with it for a while. Defense has been up and down. This year though, he had 2 lottery picks, a 5th year guy who was in running for conference player of the year, and two other freshmen who are/were 1st round picks. Unbelievable talent, and just couldn’t get them to win enough big games.

$500,000 x 66 months?
By my ciphering, that's almost 33 Million Dollars.
Yea no thanks. Buyout is supposedly about that much I have heard almost 35m.

If I’m Cal and you want me to leave. I will take a lump sum of oh let’s say 15m to leave and another 5 for next 4 years and oh yea maybe use of KY jet when I need it.

oh yea and if I get another job I keep It all and you keep paying. You were stupid enough to give me the lifetime contract, I ain’t leaving Without it all guaranteed.

They'd probably be glad to get Hurley but I doubt he'd take the job. I doubt May would ditch Michigan now, for career reasons. Smart, maybe but that Texas stain hasn't washed out yet. I'd guess Oats. They've shown with Calipari that they'll hire someone with less than stellar character.

Why would Hurley leave UConn? They've had a better program than Kentucky for 20 years--4 national titles. But then it is the SEC, and SEC programs can be pretty stupid with money--see Texas A&M and others.

KY is in between a rock and a hard place. Big recruiting class coming in, kids that will hit the portal if they are all in on Cal when he leaves. Short term likely to see a dip in player quality if they don’t have a huge name coming in. But seems everyone wants a fresh start no matter the cost.

I believe that's simply his buyout. Growing sentiment is that he stays at least one more year with a final chance at redemption.

I honestly don't think any truly great coach is going to touch it. Assuredly not one with an NCAA title. That would mean he got fired after winning 23 games and finishing in 2nd in the conference with a top 3 NCAA seed.

They landed Calipari as he was outrunning the NCAA at Memphis. They had to settle for Billy Clyde after they got turned down by 2 or 3 other names. They also had to settle for Tubby, and when Tubby came Pitino had them humming and left him a stacked roster.

In their entire history they've never hired a coach who'd won a title elsewhere. Those guys just don't move jobs willingly.

They'd probably be glad to get Hurley but I doubt he'd take the job. I doubt May would ditch Michigan now, for career reasons. Smart, maybe but that Texas stain hasn't washed out yet. I'd guess Oats. They've shown with Calipari that they'll hire someone with less than stellar character.
Didn’t Oats just sign an extension. Like last week?

Cal runs a model there no one else would have dreamed of in that job. It's a false narrative that he can't coach. He's a damn good coach, like him or not. The fan base and more importantly, big boosters, embraced the one and done model. Cal got with WWW and Nike. He won a national championship sort of early with the model. The NBA is littered with UK players. Many big time contributors. It's hard to get a new group of players to gel in one season. Cal is faced with that every year. The brass at UK could mandate a different method at any time, yet haven't done so.

He's not going anywhere
He loved Memphis.

NOT

Why would Hurley leave UConn? They've had a better program than Kentucky for 20 years--4 national titles. But then it is the SEC, and SEC programs can be pretty stupid with money--see Texas A&M and others.
Who said Hurley would take the UK job?

VN Store

Back