U.S. military told to get ready in Korea standoff

I don't understand.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What's not to understand?

I would think that intuitively obvious to the most causal observer.

Korea was my 1st duty station when I joined the military. I was stationed about 13 miles from the dmz. The large exercise they have going on now takes place every year it's called "Team Spirit", or it use to be. All u do is ride around for about 3 weeks & do alot of simulating. Alot of the smaller more meaningful training exercises take place close to the dmz I guess as a show of force or something. I'm talking demo ranges & such. I don't see much come of all this.

Without going into a lot of history, what about the 40+ dead S Korean sailors and their families.

Where's the justice for them?

how are you figuring? A boatload of guns with pre plotted priorities of fire, and plenty of ammo on hand.

Due to the differences in the 2 nations as far as openness goes, the NKPA has far better intel as far as positioning than we do.

The destruction would be on a level that hasn't been seen since WW2.

I fail to see your point...as to how we will quickly dispose of this massed FA before it hammers everything in range.

You don't think we have the capability to take out those positions within a few hours?

What's not to understand?

I would think that intuitively obvious to the most causal observer.

You don't think we have the capability to take out those positions within a few hours?

No. We'll take out what we can with counter battery fire, but we won't be going deep with 64s that quickly. Our air forces are reasonably effective, but mountainous terrain is a different animal than the desert, which is perfect for our capabilities.

Unless I'm missing something else, I'm not sure what's intuitively obvious.

Let's say the unspeakable does happen and the NK's come over the border in force. Our forces at the border get wiped out...China and Russia immediately threaten retailation if the US retaliates on NK...What's Obama's move?

Let's say the unspeakable does happen and the NK's come over the border in force. Our forces at the border get wiped out...China and Russia immediately threaten retailation if the US retaliates on NK...What's Obama's move?

Hides under his desk, threatens tough sanctions and finds a way to blame Bush.

I'd say the odds of Russia or China openly participating in any aggressions are slim. If anything the will participate by providing logistics, materials and weaponry, similar to the original conflict in the Korean war.

No. We'll take out what we can with counter battery fire, but we won't be going deep with 64s that quickly. Our air forces are reasonably effective, but mountainous terrain is a different animal than the desert, which is perfect for our capabilities.

Solid post.

I think most people fail to realize the severity of the terrain on the Korean border, and how it is a huge negative modifier for our combat effectiveness as we are currently structured, whereas the desert is the opposite.

I'd say the odds of Russia or China openly participating in any aggressions are slim. If anything the will participate by providing logistics, materials and weaponry, similar to the original conflict in the Korean war.

+1.

I'd like to hear from some of you what the strategy would be if we did end up involved in a conflict with NK?

I'd like to hear from some of you what the strategy would be if we did end up involved in a conflict with NK?

unfortunately, the strategy will generally be to maintain the status quo, with the 38th parallel remaining the effective border. China doesn't want us any closer than that and we don't care to be any closer than that. The Chinese like the buffer and we like having a far east staging area should the need for our presence in force arise. We would like to see regime change that is more reasonable with the people, but that's more their business than ours. I don't think we'd let it end again with the flimsy truce that exists today or with a full on DMZ letting everyone know that hostility is eminent.

I think the Chinese would openly participate if they felt like our end game meant American presence near the Yalu River or that we were trying to install a pro-American regime in place of the existing NK leadership. Frankly, we don't care what regime is there as long as we are retaining a foothold in the region. We'd like to see NK treat its people better and become less rogue, but they aren't really a threat to anyone but SK and Japan.

Our handling of their Nuke push in the 90s made their nuke program and proliferation a reality, but we can't fix that at this point.

I would assume it would play out something like this...

The opening hours would beat the hell out of the ROKA and the 2ID near the DMZ, and those elements would give ground while inflicting as much damage as possible before finally giving out.

The NKPA is almost entirely a light infantry force, well versed in infiltration, and the terrain gives them a distinct advantage in that respect. I'd figure at the end of day 1, the mother scratchers would be everywhere.

By day 3 we'd likely have the XVIII Airborne corps and some marines on the ground, along with everything the ROKA can muster for a make or break slugfest along the general line of the Han River.

At some point in the 1st week, I would wager that, despite heavy losses in fixed wing aircraft, we'd have destroyed enough NKPA AAA to where BPV's Air Cav can go hunting for their Artillery.

A counterattack would need to happen, because if Kim starts a fight, he's not going to quit. This would be brutal, a Light Infantry force, adept at moving supplies by foot, on rugged terrain. Much like the Korean War, the only way to get them out of the mountains is to go up there after them.

Just my opinion, of course.

I would assume it would play out something like this...

The opening hours would beat the hell out of the ROKA and the 2ID near the DMZ, and those elements would give ground while inflicting as much damage as possible before finally giving out.

The NKPA is almost entirely a light infantry force, well versed in infiltration, and the terrain gives them a distinct advantage in that respect. I'd figure at the end of day 1, the mother scratchers would be everywhere.

By day 3 we'd likely have the XVIII Airborne corps and some marines on the ground, along with everything the ROKA can muster for a make or break slugfest along the general line of the Han River.

At some point in the 1st week, I would wager that, despite heavy losses in fixed wing aircraft, we'd have destroyed enough NKPA AAA to where BPV's Air Cav can go hunting for their Artillery.

A counterattack would need to happen, because if Kim starts a fight, he's not going to quit. This would be brutal, a Light Infantry force, adept at moving supplies by foot, on rugged terrain. Much like the Korean War, the only way to get them out of the mountains is to go up there after them.

Just my opinion, of course.

We're much better today at beating up on the ground pounders with indirect fire and air power, so it wouldn't be the stalemate style slugfest that we saw last time around. You'll also see hordes of M1s driving through Chosin once the NK arty is creamed by our 64 squadrons.

North Korea

We're on their border now. I think nukes are a problem for them in that China can't openly support a regime willing to nuke and would crap their pants if NK opens the door to our using them on that peninsula.

Maybe it's me, as I've got a 3 month old little boy and have been kind of out of it, but I'm surprised at the lack of press this is getting. Obviously the oil spill is important, but man, this seems to be a pretty major destabalization of the Korean peninsula... Are you guys seeing as much on this in the news as you would expect?

I think the Chinese would openly participate if they felt like our end game meant American presence near the Yalu River or that we were trying to install a pro-American regime in place of the existing NK leadership. Frankly, we don't care what regime is there as long as we are retaining a foothold in the region. We'd like to see NK treat its people better and become less rogue, but they aren't really a threat to anyone but SK and Japan.

Our handling of their Nuke push in the 90s made their nuke program and proliferation a reality, but we can't fix that at this point.

How so?

And smart bombs don't work in the mountains of Afghanistan?

Submarine commander trying to start a war and national head idiot trying to start a war are two different matters.

If the national head claims the actions as his own by default, it's academic. That is fact.

Just wondering, if North Korea did launch an attack on South Korea, how do you all think the US should get involved?

It seems like we would obviously have to help out, but I get the feeling our leader would be very hesitant.

We're much better today at beating up on the ground pounders with indirect fire and air power, so it wouldn't be the stalemate style slugfest that we saw last time around. You'll also see hordes of M1s driving through Chosin once the NK arty is creamed by our 64 squadrons.

The only stalemate last time was because of political considerations, if Truman had turned McArther loose we would have a united noncommunist Korea today.

Same goes for the Vietnam experience.

What are the chances of any sort of war happening here?

Zero to none unless it's a coordinated assault on South Korea and Taiwan. I would say the odds of that are less than 1%. JMO

Just wondering, if North Korea did launch an attack on South Korea, how do you all think the US should get involved?

It seems like we would obviously have to help out, but I get the feeling our leader would be very hesitant.

1. Obliterate the enemy, win quick.

2. Leader? Surely you jest.

VN Store

Back