Truth hurts. Trolled again.

You and I both know Currie didn't name names and said he would not comment on candidates. Fans assumed and the old saying about assuming fits here. Fans got worked up and believed everything plastered on the web about Gruden. Nothing and no one would dissuade them from dreaming the dream.

AD's never give names of coaches they are pursuing. Gruden was there for the taking and if Currie didnt do everything in his power to land him , Big FAIL in my opinion.The CBS article is concerning to say the least. Gruden and Currie both could have put an end to the rumors long ago if they wanted to. I'm still holding out hope....

Last edited:
The 2 brothers that operate Football Scoop are childhood/high school friends of Peyton and Eli Manning who still have close contact with them. The older brother branched off and he has the site Coaching Search. Might wanna pay attention to what they have to say. They are very well connected in the industry.

AD's never give names of coaches they are pursuing. Gruden was there for the taking and if Currie didnt do everything in his power to land him , Big FAIL in my opinion.mThe CBS article is concerning to say the least. Gruden and Currie both could have put an end to the rumors long ago if they wanted to. I'm still holding out hope....

So how is Gruden "there for the taking"? Guy makes a helluva lot of money to sit in front of a camera and talk football. Easy money vs diving into the college game. He has to WANT to coach at UT. No fan can know what Gruden wants or does not want. Ridiculous to imply Currie blew it or didn't try. Hell, no one knows if they met or even discussed the job. For all we know, this is all in the collective heads of a hysterical group of desperate fans.

As for the rumors, neither Currie nor Gruden has a responsibility to go around addressing fantastical rumors. Currie is a bit busy trying to find a new coach. Doesn't really have time to try and calm irrational, entitled children going nuts over internet rumors that he specifically warned the fans about at the presser announcing Butch had been let go. If the fans are too stubborn or stupid to listen, that's not his problem.

Reactions: 8 people
Jon Gruden could put a stop to any further embarrassment to his beloved University by saying " I have talked to the University of Tennessee and made them aware of my thoughts on the open coaching position. It is at their discretion to release the content of our discussions" or "Thank you and I'm flattered but, I am not interested in coaching college football".

We can all move on.

his agent actually did that in 2012, and it didn't slow this fan base down one bit, it actually got worse. If you thought he was actually coming that is 100% on you, and the others like you.

Reactions: 4 people
Look at it like this. The joke is on them. While Tennessee can compete for championships again with the right coach, FootballScoop will always be a joke. They're somewhere between SDS and BleacherReport.

Reactions: 1 person
his agent actually did that in 2012, and it didn't slow this fan base down one bit, it actually got worse. If you thought he was actually coming that is 100% on you, and the others like you.

Exactly. Same group that just knew we were going to somehow miss out on a coach by not firing Butch sooner than we did. We were falling behind UF to get Kelly, losing out on all the good coaches. They were not going to hear that it made no difference and the timing of the firing would not "save" or "ruin" a signing class. In their minds, it had to be done immediately or our program would go the way of Atlantis and never be seen again. Kelly still hasn't been signed. Gruden hasn't signed. No one else has signed and won't until at least the regular seasons end, but the kids were throwing their tantrums and weren't going to listen. Nope...they wanted Butch gone and they wanted it now. Didn't change a damned thing in terms of recruiting or getting a new coach. All it did was relieve our fan base of having to listen to Butch....and I will admit to having relief in that regard. The fans have created their own frustration. They need to own it and accept they aren't going to get their way on this.

Yep
"Always remember: Grumors exist because Gruden wants them to exist. And for as long as they do, Tennessee fans are going to be the easiest target in America."

I'll admit i'm a Gruden thread addict, but this is my big fear. I am afraid he's using us to stroke his ego.

Reactions: 2 people
AD's never give names of coaches they are pursuing. Gruden was there for the taking and if Currie didnt do everything in his power to land him , Big FAIL in my opinion.The CBS article is concerning to say the least. Gruden and Currie both could have put an end to the rumors long ago if they wanted to. I'm still holding out hope....

Gruden isn't because he likes being wanted and that helps his bottome line.

And you just said ADs never give the names of coaches they are pursuing, so no, he can't put an end to it.

Jon Gruden could put a stop to any further embarrassment to his beloved University by saying " I have talked to the University of Tennessee and made them aware of my thoughts on the open coaching position. It is at their discretion to release the content of our discussions" or "Thank you and I'm flattered but, I am not interested in coaching college football".

We can all move on.

It's a myth Gruden considers Tennessee his "beloved" university. The simplest of searches reveals he never attended UT as a student. He went to a small college no one has ever heard of and then transferred to University of Dayton where he graduated. His wife may hold UT near and dear but Gruden is a meh at best. He is a media darling and gets paid based on pr, having his name all over various media forms ensures his paycheck continues.

Exactly. Same group that just knew we were going to somehow miss out on a coach by not firing Butch sooner than we did. We were falling behind UF to get Kelly, losing out on all the good coaches. They were not going to hear that it made no difference and the timing of the firing would not "save" or "ruin" a signing class. In their minds, it had to be done immediately or our program would go the way of Atlantis and never be seen again. Kelly still hasn't been signed. Gruden hasn't signed. No one else has signed and won't until at least the regular seasons end, but the kids were throwing their tantrums and weren't going to listen. Nope...they wanted Butch gone and they wanted it now. Didn't change a damned thing in terms of recruiting or getting a new coach. All it did was relieve our fan base of having to listen to Butch....and I will admit to having relief in that regard. The fans have created their own frustration. They need to own it and accept they aren't going to get their way on this.

I mostly agree with you. Even with Dooley, I didn't think a mid season firing was a good idea. I think this time can be justified for a couple of reasons, but they are very very iffy. After UMass there just didn't seem much hope with Butch running the show, and the attrition has been terrible again - maybe on Butch, maybe bad luck (but do you make your luck?); it seemed like the remaining games were going to be sacrifices, and there's still the no more than 7 losses thing. I think by the time Currie got around to it the damage was done and left too little time to patch things up.

The other, and again it's very very iffy, is the recruiting class. Maybe you lose and maybe you don't lose as much. Maybe the decommits would happen either way, but at least the recruits could have known for sure that change was absolutely happening rather than a maybe promise. If a recruit is really to a coach, change is probably a negative; if it's to the school and times are really bad, then it can be a positive.

You seem annoyingly angry over something that's really all in fun. Hope you aren't too hot up there on your high horse.

I mostly agree with you. Even with Dooley, I didn't think a mid season firing was a good idea. I think this time can be justified for a couple of reasons, but they are very very iffy. After UMass there just didn't seem much hope with Butch running the show, and the attrition has been terrible again - maybe on Butch, maybe bad luck (but do you make your luck?); it seemed like the remaining games were going to be sacrifices, and there's still the no more than 7 losses thing. I think by the time Currie got around to it the damage was done and left too little time to patch things up.

The other, and again it's very very iffy, is the recruiting class. Maybe you lose and maybe you don't lose as much. Maybe the decommits would happen either way, but at least the recruits could have known for sure that change was absolutely happening rather than a maybe promise. If a recruit is really to a coach, change is probably a negative; if it's to the school and times are really bad, then it can be a positive.

I think Currie wanted to give Butch and this roster every opportunity to salvage a winning record and bowl game. This roster had holes. When the injuries came again, it was over. Butch's status wouldn't have changed a thing, but what I'm convinced of is that there are players that had issues with the man. Jennings is M.I.A all season and once Butch is shown the door, he pops up saying he plans to return. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the timing certainly caught my attention. Kelly's comment about honesty also seemed like a shot at Butch.

Recruiting will be fine. I'd be willing to bet a lot of the class hangs tight and some who left may return after they get a chance to meet the new guy. Some won't. I'm sure that WR who decommitted....can't remember his name...will follow beard to his next job. Sounded like he loved the guy. No biggie. The same may happen with the new coach and staff. They may get some kids they like who will follow them to UT. I'm also certain some players in the class and on the roster will be urged to look around and go elsewhere. Usually, the new staff won't feel the same way and see the same things the previous staff did in the player evaluations. In the end, it will all work out and as the roster gets turned over, we will start to see what kind of personality this team will have. Usually it's a reflection of the head coach. It's why we need a strong, driven competitor as the head coach. A loyal guy who gives everything every day.

I think Currie wanted to give Butch and this roster every opportunity to salvage a winning record and bowl game. This roster had holes. When the injuries came again, it was over. Butch's status wouldn't have changed a thing, but what I'm convinced of is that there are players that had issues with the man. Jennings is M.I.A all season and once Butch is shown the door, he pops up saying he plans to return. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the timing certainly caught my attention. Kelly's comment about honesty also seemed like a shot at Butch.

Recruiting will be fine. I'd be willing to bet a lot of the class hangs tight and some who left may return after they get a chance to meet the new guy. Some won't. I'm sure that WR who decommitted....can't remember his name...will follow beard to his next job. Sounded like he loved the guy. No biggie. The same may happen with the new coach and staff. They may get some kids they like who will follow them to UT. I'm also certain some players in the class and on the roster will be urged to look around and go elsewhere. Usually, the new staff won't feel the same way and see the same things the previous staff did in the player evaluations. In the end, it will all work out and as the roster gets turned over, we will start to see what kind of personality this team will have. Usually it's a reflection of the head coach. It's why we need a strong, driven competitor as the head coach. A loyal guy who gives everything every day.

Me, too about the new coach. I hate change, and I sure don't want to be back at this point in another couple of years. There's just no way to build without stability.

VN Store

Back