Top coaches under 50

I'm really not declaring anyone heads and shoulders better than the other...and I don't think any of them really are...each have strengths and weaknesses that get exploited from time time....I do love a little debate to get the juices flowing though.

I really don't know, but doubt CBB and UT would have done much better than Ark in the West. But realistically....that division turned out to be a mess. They beat the crap out of each other, didn't skunk the lowly east, and none finished by winning their bowl games....a couple were even embarrassed. If they're that vaunted, then at least one should have pulled a W against all those inferior teams, from inferior conferences.

Okay, since you're fixated on records and records only and will consider nothing else try this....Bielema is 78-39 for a .667 win%... Butch by comparison is 62-40 with a .608 win%. Bielema has finished in the AP top 25 six times....Butch has finished in the AP top 25 two times. Better?

BB has a better record...hands down at this point.

Given where Jones has coached, I do think making it in the top 25 twice is quite an accomplishment in and of itself.

BB has a better record...hands down at this point.

Given where Jones has coached, I do think making it in the top 25 twice is quite an accomplishment in and of itself.

Agree with your comment on Jones. And I'm not remotely a Bielema fan. Just trying to be honest and give credit where it's due.

Agree with your comment on Jones. And I'm not remotely a Bielema fan. Just trying to be honest and give credit where it's due.

I'm not necessarily a fan of many coaches today....they're mercenaries for the most part. I just love college football...and even more so when the VOLS are sticking to folks!

I do have a great deal of respect for Frank Beamer...what he inherited, built and sustained at VT is quite remarkable. I'm not sure whether he's ready for the porch now...but he made quite a run through a few decades.

And yet some knuckleheads on here still consider him garbage. Doing as well as Jones with less talent in a tougher division.

well....not going to say he sucks, but he did manage a big goose egg in SEC play his first year. Smith at least pulled 2 wins....and he's pretty much incompetent.

Does anyone remember the story that leaked out that CBB had actually been in talks with UT and Arky? If I remember correctly he was actually leaning UT but the roster was in better shape at Arky for him to run his system. That just shows the state that UT was really in. I respect CBB and what he has done at Arkansas, but I don't really like trying to compare two coaches,different roads to get here, different rebuilds.

Reactions: 2 people
Does anyone remember the story that leaked out that CBB had actually been in talks with UT and Arky? If I remember correctly he was actually leaning UT but the roster was in better shape at Arky for him to run his system. That just shows the state that UT was really in. I respect CBB and what he has done at Arkansas, but I don't really like trying to compare two coaches,different roads to get here, different rebuilds.

What? I don't think UT and Dave Hart ever pursued CBB in any way, shape or form. And if you aren't making it up about there being an article then the article is really bad journalism because it's a lie.

According to VN posters, You are wrong.

Don't recall that but not saying it's not true either. I just remember Arky hiring Bielema pretty much out of the blue. Nobody really knew he was looking to leave Wisconsin and next thing you know he's being announced as Arky's next coach.

I'm really not declaring anyone heads and shoulders better than the other...and I don't think any of them really are...each have strengths and weaknesses that get exploited from time time....I do love a little debate to get the juices flowing though.

I really don't know, but doubt CBB and UT would have done much better than Ark in the West. But realistically....that division turned out to be a mess. They beat the crap out of each other, didn't skunk the lowly east, and none finished by winning their bowl games....a couple were even embarrassed. If they're that vaunted, then at least one should have pulled a W against all those inferior teams, from inferior conferences.

I mean AR did win their bowl game...

I mean AR did win their bowl game...

you are correct sir...after a second look, TAMU did as well...so...guess the bottom of the west schooled those tough Big 12 teams and fared as well as the SEC East in their bowl games!

What? I don't think UT and Dave Hart ever pursued CBB in any way, shape or form. And if you aren't making it up about there being an article then the article is really bad journalism because it's a lie.

I'm not making it up, not trying to be a troll either. It came out when CBB was being rumored to Nebraska after Pellini was fired. I think it was a CFT article I will see if I can find it. But basically it was CBB talking about how he was in talks with both schools and no one knew because he told schools if his name got leaked out he would not take the job. It was his way of disputing the nebraska rumors. And if you check the old badgers247 pages there are threads where he was contacted by UT.

Zero doubt in my mind that Bielema deserves to be a good bit ahead of Butch at this point. Look at what he did at Wisconsin, and he has Arkansas ahead of Tennessee after 2 years in their rebuild. I was skeptical at first of Bielema as well, but he deserves the ranking at this point imo.

Yea, but we ain't gotta like it!

Yea, but we ain't gotta like it!

I promise I dont. Was hoping we could clearly boast that Jones was the second best coaching hire in the SEC from 2012 behind Malzahn. Also wanted to see CBB fail making the transition from the Big 10 to the SEC, really just for good measure. But to be honest, when I've watched Arkansas play under CBB, I've seen a tough, hard-nosed competitive team with a clear identity. They just appeared to be further along than Tennessee on the road back to relevance last year. Jmho.

I promise I dont. Was hoping we could clearly boast that Jones was the second best coaching hire in the SEC from 2012 behind Malzahn. Also wanted to see CBB fail making the transition from the Big 10 to the SEC, really just for good measure. But to be honest, when I've watched Arkansas play under CBB, I've seen a tough, hard-nosed competitive team with a clear identity. They just appeared to be further along than Tennessee on the road back to relevance last year. Jmho.

I sadly agree. I told a friend yesterday who was going on about bama, that Arkansas would shock a few this year. I think this year Butch has a chance to gain some momentum.

I totally agree. I do believe CBB was at a bit more of an advantage in that he didn't have to completely rebuild his offensive and defensive lines. He's had to replace parts but not complete rebuilds. I think this year is the true deciphering factor on the Jones vs Bielema debate and who was the better hire. No doubt both teams are trending in the right direction.

I totally agree. I do believe CBB was at a bit more of an advantage in that he didn't have to completely rebuild his offensive and defensive lines. He's had to replace parts but not complete rebuilds. I think this year is the true deciphering factor on the Jones vs Bielema debate and who was the better hire. No doubt both teams are trending in the right direction.

I hope we line up and punch Arky in the throat to the tune of about 45-10 in September so we can put all this to rest and proclaim Butch the better hire. Just think they're gonna be very difficult to beat by pretty much everyone they play.

Did you watch Arkansas play last year, coming off a 3-9 season? They were more highly ranked in both total offense and total defense than Tennessee. They were 6-6 in the regular season like Tennessee, but they were in the SEC West playing Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Miss St, Texas A&M and Ole Miss....much more difficult than an SEC East schedule. Plus, they got Missouri and Georgia from the east...no Vandy, Kentucky or even SCar.

Also, while we got drubbed/blown out by Alabama and Ole Miss by a combined score of 68-23, they lost 14-13 to Bama and blew Ole Miss out 30-0....combined score 43-14 in favor of OleMiss.

That's my logic.

Well you also have to mention how they got thumped by Georgia by 2tds. While we lost by 3 to them.

Mizzou games. Mizzou was down and came back to win against Arky.
UT was down and came up short against Mizzou.
Final margin: UT -8, Arky-7.
Hmm. But Arky played them in Mizzou.
But, We were without AJ Johnson.
Hmm

With Dobbs at the helm we outscored Bama 20-7???
Hmm..

Ole Miss had an undersized DL and it showed against Arky.
And Blake Wallace got worse and worse as the year went on. As he did the year before .

Bama had a bad game against Arky. Bama lost to Ole Miss lol... who was thumped by Arky...hmm

So Arky should have dominated Bama right???
Wait wait! Bama throttled Mizzou. 42-13 in the SEC title game.
A week after Mizzou beat Arkansas. The surging Arkansas team mind you.
Hmm

Conclusion:
There is NO stable logic when it comes to college football.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back