Top 10 NBA Player of All-Time

Dayum. He did have two title teams built around him. Been scoring champ. All defensive first team. All star MVP. Finals MVP.

So, do you guys have Kobe in the top 40? 50?

He's in my top 30.

Dayum. He did have two title teams built around him.

No, every championship team Kobe's been on has clearly been built around the center.

I will grant that he was an elite defender for a stretch of his career.

But as far as the offensive numbers he's generated his whole career, he's ranged anywhere from above average to horrible in terms of efficiency.

Take Kobe off, and put Cap in your top five.

Kobe isn't a top 20 player, let alone top 10 IMO.

Kobe is maybe the most overrated player ever. He's good, but he isn't even top 100, IMO. He's a "scorer" who never scored very efficiently. Whenever people talk about guards who led their teams to titles, I immediately look at their team rebounding, and therein usually lies the truth...

Kobe's 5 championships, and where the Lakers ranked in total rebounds per game:

2000 - 1st
2001 - 5th
2002 - 3rd
2009 - 1st
2010 - 2nd

Kobe is maybe the most overrated player ever. He's good, but he isn't even top 100, IMO. He's a "scorer" who never scored very efficiently. Whenever people talk about guards who led their teams to titles, I immediately look at their team rebounding, and therein usually lies the truth...

Kobe's 5 championships, and where the Lakers ranked in total rebounds per game:

2000 - 1st
2001 - 5th
2002 - 3rd
2009 - 1st
2010 - 2nd

You can't name 50 players better than Kobe, let alone 100.

Haters gon hate...

Reactions: 3 people

Hater gon hate...
Probably a bit of hyperbole, but I think it's a pretty sound case that Kobe is the most overrated player in the history of the game.

He's basically been a better defensive version of Allen Iverson his whole career while happening to play alongside some of the best centers and forwards to ever play the game.

There's absolutely no argument for Kobe as an all-time top ten that doesn't include pure hype, media fantasy or rings.

Haters gon hate...

I can't name 50 better talents than Kobe, but for a "student" of the game he has a horrible basketball IQ. He takes the worst shots, and makes stupid decisions with the ball. He's always turned the ball over a lot relative to his number of assists, and he's never shot very efficiently. How can this be the case when he's enjoyed a wealth of talent on his teams?

Either he's not talented, or he's not smart. It's obvious that it's the latter. You don't have to watch him very long to realize he takes horrible shots.

Probably a bit of hyperbole, but I think it's a pretty sound case that Kobe is the most overrated player in the history of the game.

He's basically been a better defensive version of Allen Iverson his whole career while happening to play alongside some of the best centers and forwards to ever play the game.

There's absolutely no argument for Kobe as an all-time top ten that doesn't include pure hype, media fantasy or rings.

I don't really disagree with anything you said. I still think he belongs in the Top 30.

No it's not. You have one of your top ten saying Kobe is the best Laker to ever play. Of course he is no internet know all. I'll take magic's opinion over guys on the internet.

No it's not. You have one of your top ten saying Kobe is the best Laker to ever play. Of course he is no internet know all. I'll take magic's opinion over guys on the internet.

I'd say there is plenty of evidence to support the notion that good players aren't necessarily good judges of talent.

That has roughly the value of coach speak, that is to say, worthless.

As baker said, great players can be **** judges of talent.

Any list without MJ #1 is some bs. All time best player in the world. Nobody including bron will come close.

Nobody will ever have the same affect on the game as Jordan. He came at the exact right time and blew away the competition and set the mold for the modern day athlete.

He transcends the game.

As far as basketball talent goes, lets give LeBron a few more years to hit his peak and then see how long he can sustain it and how many titles he can win.

He's still getting better. Nobody will be Jordan, it's almost unattainable at this point but if anyone can do it, it's LeBron.

5 NBA Titles, 2 MVP's.
15 All-Star games, 4 MVP's.
10 All-NBA first team selections.
9 All-NBA Defensive first team selections.
1 NBA MVP selection.
2 Scoring Titles.
30,000 points.
Second highest point total (81) in a game.

5 NBA Titles, 2 MVP's.
15 All-Star games, 4 MVP's.
10 All-NBA first team selections.

9 All-NBA Defensive first team selections.
1 NBA MVP selection.
2 Scoring Titles.
30,000 points.

Second highest point total (81) in a game.

All that just means he took a lot more shots than everybody else. He who takes the most shots scores the most, gets the most all-star votes, etc.

VN Store

Back