'19 TN ATH Adonis Otey (ARK Commit 8/1/18)

Huge boom for 19.

“I’ve been thinking about (committing to Tennessee) for a minute now,” said Otey, who’s expected to be one of the top prospects from the state of Tennessee in the 2019 class.

“It’s really close to home, and I’ve noticed recently that they put a couple of guys in the (NFL) draft. That’s a big deal, too. (I like) Coach (Butch) Jones and his excitement with the Vol For Life program, and just the Tennessee players ourselves.”

The 6-foot, 175-pound Otey said he was “a little surprised” to be ready to make an early decision, adding that he “really thought it was going to take longer than this.” Following his most recent visit to Tennessee in February for its first junior day of the year, he said he was “just trying to wait that out until my senior year.”

But he said he has gotten comfortable with the Vols by visiting them “probably six or seven” times, and he likes the idea of attending an in-state school.

There was “not really” any recent event or development that convinced him to pick Tennessee, he said, adding that “it just happened.” But he admitted he has been high on the Vols throughout his recruitment.

“I felt like it would be tough to beat them, because Tennessee is a nice program,” said Otey, who also attended the Vols’ home games against Ohio and Missouri last season.

“We just go there every year — a couple times every year.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

tenor.gif

Reactions: 3 people
"I just couldn't stop thinking that it was the right place for me," Otey said. "So I decided that the time was right and I was ready. I'm officially a Tennessee commit."

Otey said his longtime affinity for the Vols program combined with the direction of the team and his connection with the coaches helped him and his family make the decision. "My family has always loved Tennessee and they are big fans," Otey said. "For me to be able to stay close to home and represent for my home state and get to play in front of them is something that really appealed to me."

New Tennessee defensive backs coach Charlton Warren build a fast connection with Otey after joining the staff earlier this year and Otey said he expects that bond to continue to grow. "He's cool and he's been recruiting me since he was at North Carolina as well," Otey said. "When he came to Tennessee he made me feel like I was wanted and like I was a priority. I think he's going to really help them improve in the secondary and he can help me improve my game as well."

"I've been talking to him a lot during 7-on-7 and he just tells me about how he feels like it's one big family," Otey said. "Alontae is a great player and to go against him every day in practice in college is only going to make me a better player."

"They've been putting a lot of players in the draft and that's my ultimate goal," Otey said. "It's been my dream since I was little and I feel like they can help me achieve that goal." Now Otey turns his focus to helping recruit, with his friends and fellow 2019 four-stars Lance Wilhoite and Joseph Anderson being at the top of his list. "We have a lot of talent in the state in 2019 and I'm going to do my part to make sure we all play together at Tennessee."

-Rivals, Woody Wommack

Reactions: 4 people
"It's the right fit for me," Otey said on his commitment. "I just love what coach Butch Jones is doing there. I've seen how they are putting players in the draft. Recently, I sat down with my parents and talked about it."

The conversation with his parents was to the point. They wanted their son to find the best fit for him and after some visits this spring, he decided it was Tennessee over Florida. "It means a lot because I'm one of the first people in my family to do this. They are all excited about it."

He and defensive backs coach Charlton Warren continue to build a bond. "I just like his enthusiasm," Otey said. "He tells his players that he doesn't want to beat anyone to a drill. If he does then they owe him sprints or something. He doesn't want walking between drills. He's just got a lot of energy. He's straight forward. He just tells you straight up about everything."

"He's very competitive," Blackman head coach David Watson said. "He's similar to Jauan (Jennings) except he has a totally different demeanor. He's been our quarterback the last two days in spring because our starter is in baseball. He didn't think he would be much of a factor during the offseason and he's picked it up and improved a lot in just two days. He's not scared of anything. He doesn't back down from anything. He competes."

"Now I can just chill and focus on the game," Otey said. "I feel like I've gotten better overall with my position skills and stuff like that. I can still improve in all areas. I'm just trying to be the best I can be."

-VQ

Reactions: 4 people
BOOOM! Please Butch just please win enough games this year to prove you are a capable coach. Recruiting is not falling off. Fix your on field issues. Thanks.

For sure. We need Otey or Wynn to step up and be the leader of the class. I wonder if Wilhoite might be close to doing something too. Callahan put in a CB at the same time he did for Otey, and he doesn't just throw those around.

Would be awesome! 2019 class is taking off and all with in state guys, all who are highly ranked ballers

mini boom for a kid who can just now get his drivers license. I will upgrade to major boom after he plays his junior year.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back