'Tis the season: Guns ! Guns ! Guns!

Why do the vast majority of these shootings occur in states with tight gun restrictions? Maybe if school administrators were allowed to carry guns this punk could have been stopped way before he finished the first magazine.... For example, the principal (who was legally in possesion of a handgun) at the high school in Pearl Mississippi several years ago was able to stop the shooter there before he could get to his car to go shoot more people at another school.

Reactions: 1 person
I am on record as strongly supporting the Second Amendment. I do not believe that acts by criminals and the mentally ill should be used as a pretext to nullify Second Amendment rights for all. However, I do believe that our society should prohibit gun purchases by criminals and the insane.

You can't tell me that a man who committed a crime like that isn't crazy as hell. He might be legally sane enough to know what he did was wrong, but the man has to be mentally defective, in the extreme.

Background checks currently block felons from purchasing firearms, but how can our society block firearm purchases by the mentally ill? There are problems, and I do not know the answers.

Ya I am not sure there is one on that one. You could require a psyc evaluation before a purchase, but then that can be completely subjective and what if you had a shrink with a chip on their shoulder and just made everyone crazy?

hunting is the most common use. Thing is, you can turn a gun into whatever you want it to look like. A popular thing to do is to convert a .22lr into an AR look-alike. Ammo is cheap and you can still add all the gadgets you want. It's the actual function of the gun that should be considered instead of just its looks.

For example look at full-auto rifles. Not sure they serve a practical purpose to own but I'm not for eliminating them altogether. I can understand how someone would take that stand though

Sorry, I didn't think about that. I suppose in my mind, assault rifles are all like the AR15 and such. I suppose caliber makes a huge difference.

I'll stand against automatic weapons any day. No practical purpose.

Sorry, I didn't think about that. I suppose in my mind, assault rifles are all like the AR15 and such. I suppose caliber makes a huge difference.

If someone gets enjoyment by taking an M60 out into the desert and firing away at scrap cars that they own, does that not serve a practical purpose for said user?

.Background checks currently block felons from purchasing firearms, but how can our society block firearm purchases by the mentally ill? There are problems, and I do not know the answers.

First issue is it could really only be enforced at point of sale. If you kept a database that could work but some might have issue with privacy laws. Then there's the problem of "which" diagnosed issue would prevent purchase or would any psychiatric care for any reason be enough?

The real elephant in the room is a crazy person could access guns the same way the criminals do. Actually anyone mentally prohibited from having a gun and getting one anyway is already by definition a criminal.

More laws and legislation would change nothing.

People are going to do what they want regardless of what the law says.

Drugs are illegal. People buy them anyway.

Murder is illegal. People do it anyway.

People who want guns will get them. People who want to commit crimes with guns will still do so. There's far too many out there and banning or increasing legislation will only spur the black market for guns.

The only people affected? Those who are law abiding citizens that pose no threat to anyone.

Reactions: 2 people
The Bath School disaster is the name given to three bombings in Bath Township, Michigan, on May 18, 1927, which killed 38 elementary school children, two teachers, four other adults and the bomber himself; at least 58 people were injured. Most of the victims were children in the second to sixth grades (7–11 years of age [1]) attending the Bath Consolidated School.

Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the left claims that guns are the problem, that is utter BS. Psychopaths are. Psychopaths will always find a way.

Not reading this whole thread, but I find it disgusting that some people are immediately using this to push their own political agenda.
Both sides are doing this. I heard Limbaugh today try to make it a liberals vs conservative news story, and that's just sickening.

No practical purpose for (non military or emergency/LE) automobiles that exceed 70 miles per hour either. If I want a full auto rifle and can meet the legal requirements for owning one, what i do with it and why I want one are none of your (or anyone else's) damn business so long as I stay within legal parameters for using and owning it. I want one because I want one is reason enough.

First the episode in Washington State at the mall, now the one in Connecticut at the elementary school. When will you guys finally admit that guns possession in this country is way, way too easy?

LG, I've highlighted a few quotes for you:

The latter is already prohibited. Owning is already restricted. Its the ones obtaining weapons illegally that is the issue. I wish common sense and stats would change thinking of america.

Laws mostly affect the people that are law-abiding. Cocaine is illegal and yet it is huge money maker in the US.

An unarmed populace who do nothing but promote an environment for those in power to abuse said power; the core principles our founding fathers set forth would unravel and America would cease to be.

People are going to kill people - what tools they use are inconsequential.

The left will continue to hide behind their "good intentions" in their quest to stifle gun ownership - but they are fooling no one except their cool aid drinking, bleeding heart base.

People demanding action either during or the immediate aftermath of a crisis are idiotic. Such thinking resulted in us passing the PATRIOT Act...

Making it illegal to own guns will not stop those willing to break the law. If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns. I have no desire to not be able to protect myself where I reside because some lunatic went on a rampage. These people will find ways to obtain guns legally or otherwise. Had certain administrators been allowed to carry and had proper training, maybe the death count would be much less.

As a conservative, and supporter of constitutional rights, I am appalled that the liberal talking heads and typing hands will clamor for gun control when that is obviously not the solution. As a human being, I am appalled at the tragedy, and hurt for the family and friends of those involved.

I can only pray that a real solution (helping those with mental health issues) can be found before these incidents become more and more commonplace. Guns do not sprout arms and legs and go pick fights and kill people. Crazy/imbalanced/insane/depressed/lawbreaking people kill people. Yes, they often use guns to do it, but outlawing guns won't keep them out of the hands of the crazy/imbalanced/insane/depressed/lawbreaking - outlawing them will only keep them out of my hands so that I cannot protect myself.

The Bath School disaster is the name given to three bombings in Bath Township, Michigan, on May 18, 1927, which killed 38 elementary school children, two teachers, four other adults and the bomber himself; at least 58 people were injured. Most of the victims were children in the second to sixth grades (7–11 years of age [1]) attending the Bath Consolidated School.

Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the left claims that guns are the problem, that is utter BS. Psychopaths are. Psychopaths will always find a way.

Wait, your argument that guns should not be banned because in 1927 45 (not 38) individuals were killed after bombs were detonated, thus more than just guns can kill massive amounts of individuals?

You do know that one of the main explosives used in the Bath Township massacre was pyrotol, and that afterwards pyrotol was made almost completely unavailable in the US. How many American massacres since 1927 have involved pyrotol?

Obviously, by now we are all aware of reports that more than 10 children may be dead. Elementary school kids, in class.

Even if that is not the case, we can only pray that this incident, and the others over the last few years, convince our political leaders to stop listening to the gun lobby and to stand up and do what is right, which is to dramatically restrict the possession of, sale of, or access to, hand guns.

The argument that they are often stolen is small consolation here. If people could not lawfully buy them in the first place, they would not be there to be stolen. And its not like that is a rare thing. We know what the problem is -- its the initial purchase.

As far as I'm concerned, the entire gun lobby right now ought to take a long had look at the horror their "hobby" is causing.

You don't have a clue. It's sad really.

How are the restrictions on heroin, meth, cocaine, and crack working out?

Naw! No one would do that!

Just pointing out how ludicrous it is to assume that taking guns away from the law abiding folks will in any way keep people safer... Just the opposite is true. If i'm some homeboy looking for a victim to rob i'm going to look for the softest target possible. 10 out of 10 criminals prefer unarmed victims....

Reactions: 1 person
or it's more likely he didn't have one in the first place

All the reports I've seen list .223 as the caliber used. .223 can be fired out of a few different guns but the most notable is the AR15 platform.... Of course I'm going on what the media is reporting so that may be my first mistake....

I'd personally love a ban, but that is not feasible.

For starters, I want people who buy guns to have some kind of tracer placed on them connecting them to the gun such that, if it is stolen or misused by another, the original buyer may be held civilly and perhaps criminally liable for that.

How about drunk drivers that kill someone after 10 shots of Jack. You think Jack Daniels should be found liable?

You're a jackass. :good!:

According to this site, "Assault" weapons are illegal in Connecticut unless they are grandfathered in prior to the assault weapons ban of 1994, leading me to believe that the shooter obtained it illegally in the first place....

Connecticut Gun Rights - An Overview of Gun Laws in Connecticut

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/279675060745273345

UPDATE: Bob Orr reports, based on preliminary info, that guns appear to have been purchased legally and belong to Ryan Lanza

If someone gets enjoyment by taking an M60 out into the desert and firing away at scrap cars that they own, does that not serve a practical purpose for said user?

It may be more practical to just let all these idiots fire at each other.

All the reports I've seen list .223 as the caliber used. .223 can be fired out of a few different guns but the most notable is the AR15 platform.... Of course I'm going on what the media is reporting so that may be my first mistake....

I think the point PJ was getting at is that an AR-15 isn't an assault rifle.

VN Store

Back