'Tis the season: Guns ! Guns ! Guns!

And restrictions only keep those who are honest... honest. They do nothing against the guys who really want to put on the hurt. Anytime one of these things happen my first thought is not what should be restricted or opened up, but more of a what in our moral compass needs to be fixed? This is a moral/society issue more than it is a weapon of choice issue in my books. And frankly this is a discussion the Government just needs to excuse itself from and let the grown ups handle it. We as a society need to ball up and actually decide where we are headed.

Fantastic points. Sadly, they'll fall on deaf ears in regards to politicians with agendas and folks like LG...

I'd personally love a ban, but that is not feasible.

For starters, I want people who buy guns to have some kind of tracer placed on them connecting them to the gun such that, if it is stolen or misused by another, the original buyer may be held civilly and perhaps criminally liable for that.

So if someone steals my car and crashes it into someone else and kills them, I should be charged with vehicular homicide?

Now do you see how silly your viewpoint is? Cars kill more people every year than guns do.

And restrictions only keep those who are honest... honest. They do nothing against the guys who really want to put on the hurt. Anytime one of these things happen my first thought is not what should be restricted or opened up, but more of a what in our moral compass needs to be fixed? This is a moral/society issue more than it is a weapon of choice issue in my books. And frankly this is a discussion the Government just needs to excuse itself from and let the grown ups handle it. We as a society need to ball up and actually decide where we are headed.

I don't see mass events like this as moral short-comings. It's more of a mental failure. Moral instances would be in cases that the killer feels justified in killing someone. I'd presume that this man just wanted to go out with a bang.

I hope the manufacturer of the gun is held liable and put of business. I hope whoever originally bought the gun is held criminally liable and sent to prison as an accessory to murder. .

The very essence of why people's hysterical emotions should be kept as far as possible the lawmaking process.

Reactions: 1 person
Now a source is saying 30 dead, mostly children.

Incomprehensible.

I hope the manufacturer of the gun is held liable and put of business. I hope whoever originally bought the gun is held criminally liable and sent to prison as an accessory to murder. Sentences to run consecutively. Then maybe people thinking about buying a gun won't be so cavalier about its storage.

You're trying too hard. At this point, your trolling is blatantly obvious.

Incomprehensible.

I hope the manufacturer of the gun is held liable and put of business. I hope whoever originally bought the gun is held criminally liable and sent to prison as an accessory to murder. Sentences to run consecutively. Then maybe people thinking about buying a gun won't be so cavalier about its storage.

This is moronic.

So if someone steals my car and crashes it into someone else and kills them, I should be charged with vehicular homicide?

Now do you see how silly your viewpoint is? Cars kill more people every year than guns do.

We've been over this many times. The difference is that an automobile has many legitimate purposes. The exact point of a hand gun, save for a tiny, tiny few exceptions, is to shoot another person.

it is extremely unlikely this was an assault rifle. Just because you see no need doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

I'm open to suggestions of practical use. You can look at my post history here and see that over the years I've moved from banning firearms to restricting to now education and practicality.

This graph was compiled from statistics gathered by the Bureau of Justice.

Violent_Crime_Rates_in_the_United_States.svg

Incomprehensible.

I hope the manufacturer of the gun is held liable and put of business. .

Also the car he drove to get there? The shoes he had on?

The government for making money he used to buy said gun?

The gun didnt kill a damn sole!

IDIOT!!!!

We've been over this many times. The difference is that an automobile has many legitimate purposes. The exact point of a hand gun, save for a tiny, tiny few exceptions, is to shoot another person.

Statistically impossible considering the number of handguns vs the number of shootings. I've personally fired THOUSANDS of rounds of ammunition from handguns and, this may come as a shock to you, not a single one (NOT ONE!) was at another human being.

So alcohol manufacturers should be charged for drunk driving? McDonald's charged for obesity,heart disease, diabetes?

I'm open to suggestions of practical use. You can look at my post history here and see that over the years I've moved from banning firearms to restricting to now education and practicality.

hunting is the most common use. Thing is, you can turn a gun into whatever you want it to look like. A popular thing to do is to convert a .22lr into an AR look-alike. Ammo is cheap and you can still add all the gadgets you want. It's the actual function of the gun that should be considered instead of just its looks.

For example look at full-auto rifles. Not sure they serve a practical purpose to own but I'm not for eliminating them altogether. I can understand how someone would take that stand though

The exact point of a handgun is not to shoot another person; further, the exact point of a handgun is certainly not to shoot innocent persons.

see every other gun thread he's ever participated in. It's likely he wouldn't know a airsoft from a howitzer but he keeps on going

I know more about hand guns than you might imagine, including having fired agency-issued 9 mm. I've defended multiple lawsuits involving police response and then multiple fatalities, and with people using hand guns purchased legally or stolen.

You cannot imagine the abject sorrow that descends upon these families. Forever.

I know more about hand guns than you might imagine, including having fired agency-issued 9 mm. I've defended multiple lawsuits involving police response and then multiple fatalities, and with people using hand guns purchased legally or stolen.

You cannot imagine the abject sorrow that descends upon these families. Forever.

you're still making an emotional decision if you start using reasons like "abject sorrow" to justify your stance. Same can be said for many items that are misused

I know more about hand guns than you might imagine, .

Then this makes the shocking degree of ignorance on the subject you've shown in other threads even more damning. Makes it seem all the more calculated and trollish. That or you're still that ignorant and now claiming not to be to try to seem credible.

I don't see mass events like this as moral short-comings. It's more of a mental failure. Moral instances would be in cases that the killer feels justified in killing someone. I'd presume that this man just wanted to go out with a bang.

You are right and I apologize for not clarifying. Yes these people are mentally deranged. However, I'm also attributing that to our society's complete meltdown in morals and norms. Like violence... (since this is a shooting) it penetrates us at every level. We see it on TV, in our games, on print. You can't turn your head anymore without seeing something bloodied up. Over the course of time that apathetic view towards violence tends to water it down even more and remove any barriers there were between imagination and actually acting it out. When someone is unbalanced it exasperates that even more and they are MUCH more likely to act.

Now do not mistake me this is not a call for Government to step in and save our day by censoring everything under the sun. That won't matter a bit. It is US who have to decide as a society at large that we find this stuff unacceptable, and I'm not sure we are willing to do that.

Last edited:
I am on record as strongly supporting the Second Amendment. I do not believe that acts by criminals and the mentally ill should be used as a pretext to nullify Second Amendment rights for all. However, I do believe that our society should prohibit gun purchases by criminals and the insane.

You can't tell me that a man who committed a crime like that isn't crazy as hell. He might be legally sane enough to know what he did was wrong, but the man has to be mentally defective, in the extreme.

Background checks currently block felons from purchasing firearms, but how can our society block firearm purchases by the mentally ill? There are problems, and I do not know the answers.

VN Store

Back