Three executions planned Thursday for three U.S. states

Costs more to execute someone than to keep them in prison for the rest of their life.

That is pure nonsense. Made up by people that fight the death penalty. IF that number were true it is only because of the legal maze orchestrated to actually reach a termination.

No one can argue 50 years of sustaining someone costs less than 2 years of sustaining someone plus the cost of terminating them. Utter nonsense.

Reactions: 4 people
Sure it does. It eliminates financial burden of the state caring for a person that has become of no use to society.

It’s not any cheaper. A capital case is more expensive to prosecute, there’s more appeals, and a death row occupant is more expensive to house. Nowadays if you get the death penalty you’ve probably got 25 years before your appeals are exhausted.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah you are probably right. All you would see is the ass hole getting a needle stuck in his arm and peacefully falling asleep. Should do it like in Saudi

Two of the worst things I've seen in my life..a Saudi execution and a bullfight in Spain. Brutal.

It’s not any cheaper. A capital case is more expensive to prosecute, there’s more appeals, and a death row occupant is more expensive to house. Nowadays if you get the death penalty you’ve probably got 25 years before your appeals are exhausted.

That's true unless the federal appeal is made to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. The Fifth Circuit is more deferential to the popular will which is strongly pro-death penalty and creates few legal obstacles to execution within it's jurisdiction. Federal appeals from Texas are made to the Fifth Circuit. 548 people have been executed in Texas since 1976. That is over a third of the national total.

I kid you not...I have a family member that used to work at a state penitentiary. A person on death row would regularly be treated at an area hospital for cancer. His execution date was repeatedly moved back because legally, he had to 'be well' before he could be executed.

If the pos is still breathing he's well enough to die & meet his God IMO.

Solitary confinement for everyone convicted of murder. Never get to leave their cell. I think that's a fair sentence.

Serious question. I'm not personally religious, but I know a lot of you are. So I'm wondering how you claim to follow the teachings of Jesus and believe that capital punishment is consistent with those teachings.

Yes the prosecuting of a death case is much more expensive.

Making a statement that it costs less to keep someone alive for 50 years than to execute them, is disingenuous.

Serious question. I'm not personally religious, but I know a lot of you are. So I'm wondering how you claim to follow the teachings of Jesus and believe that capital punishment is consistent with those teachings.

You might ask this question in the "what does the bible say" thread to get your answer.

Yes the prosecuting of a death case is much more expensive.

Making a statement that it costs less to keep someone alive for 50 years than to execute them, is disingenuous.

These are the years the men in question committed their crimes. They’ve been housed in death row since their trials concluded, which is more expensive to maintain than the normal population. How is this markedly cheaper than being housed in genpop for life?

If you’re wanting to pursue a capital case it needs to be absolutely 100% slam dunk impossible to overturn. Otherwise you get left with stuff like this, old men crying illness so they don’t have to pay for the crimes of their youth. Meanwhile the taxpayer foots the bill.

Reactions: 2 people
Two of the worst things I've seen in my life..a Saudi execution and a bullfight in Spain. Brutal.
maybe if more thugs saw an execution they would think twice. but you are probably right. they wouldn't.

bullfighting is idiotic

That is pure nonsense. Made up by people that fight the death penalty. IF that number were true it is only because of the legal maze orchestrated to actually reach a termination.

No one can argue 50 years of sustaining someone costs less than 2 years of sustaining someone plus the cost of terminating them. Utter nonsense.

So you are ok with the occasional innocent being executed?

Reactions: 4 people

These are the years the men in question committed their crimes. They’ve been housed in death row since their trials concluded, which is more expensive to maintain than the normal population. How is this markedly cheaper than being housed in genpop for life?

If you’re wanting to pursue a capital case it needs to be absolutely 100% slam dunk impossible to overturn. Otherwise you get left with stuff like this, old men crying illness so they don’t have to pay for the crimes of their youth. Meanwhile the taxpayer foots the bill.

Yes. I know it is more expensive to house them. That just means we've created this incorrectly. The entire legal process around this is screwed up.

The people involved in the Christian Newsome case are slam dunk guilty and should already be dead. The fact that it costs more money to terminate them suggests we have processing issues. It is more expensive because we have allowed a system to be corrupted.

There are tons of slam dunk cases and in these examples, in no sane world would it cost more to kill than to keep them alive for 50 years.

I am ok with intelligence and there are more than enough that are 100% undoubtedly guilty and could be laid down within a year of a verdict.

I’ll rephrase, are ok with the occasional innocent being executed to expedite the guilty being put to death?

Why rephrase? Why does one have to happen in order for the other to happen?

There have been multiple people convicted and sentenced to death only to be exonerated decades later. Without the appeals process innocents would have been executed.

Obviously you don’t want to answer the question.

There have been multiple people convicted and sentenced to death only to be exonerated decades later. Without the appeals process innocents would have been executed.

Obviously you don’t want to answer the question.

I answered it fine.

You think the guy that shot up the high school last week or the CN murderers might not be guilty? You believe we are incapable of defining a group that are undoubtedly guilty of murder?

VN Store

Back