This is positive stuff

I remember my 2nd practice in college my coach got on me. I was a little shell shocked. I just stood there... I guess he didn't like my reaction so he kept going. It got worse and worse and worse. Then all the sudden I snapped back to reality and I got a big smile on my face. Well that wasn't the reaction he was looking for either so he asked me what the hell I was smiling about. I said, "I got you coach... Let's get better"

We were good to go then. He still got on me and he got on me hard. But it made me better. To this day he is one of the most influential people in my life. I love that guy!

That evening I called my dad. I said well dad I guess I'm a grown man now.... He said. " what are you talking about". I said "coach sure as hell talked to me like a grown man today, so I must be one"

Not a bad story either, if I may say.

Something that occurred to me that I've not seen mentioned in all this is we have a team here that has a lack of senior leadership. This team is so very young. Veterans on a team can snuff out some issues with younger players before they hit critical mass. Things will smooth out a bit when all these underclassmen have been here awhile.

Oh and 34 - I liked your coach Z idea also. If we are not changing the offense, continuity makes more sense. Or another good recruiter who can run the same offense.

Something that occurred to me that I've not seen mentioned in all this is we have a team here that has a lack of senior leadership. This team is so very young. Veterans on a team can snuff out some issues with younger players before they hit critical mass. Things will smooth out a bit when all these underclassmen have been here awhile.

There aren't many seniors on this team but you can rest assured it has leadership. Make no mistake, this is Curt Maggit's team! He is the alpha of team 119.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't like making threads. Just know, what is happening on rocky top is positive and exciting. These recruit transfers that is happening is positive. This occurs because they are getting out recruited. This exposes the lack of competitiveness of some of these young guys, yet excels the competitiveness everywhere else. If your soft now, wait til things get tough. The reason why y'all are freakin is because it has been so long since we have been back to this stage, a stage of top flight recruits and back to the winning ways. This will happen every year and be happy for it. It could be, the soft guys stay, and we got no other better recruits to replace them with, such as when coach DD was here. If players that are buried in depth aren't transferring, and coaches aren't being pursued then your not doing something right.

Exactly. Thanks for getting on here and sharing. No need to read others replies. / thread.

So basically you're saying we're awesome! Word!

awesome-dancer-guy-o.gif

You can't engage a 17 year olds mind until they are in the trenches man. When your on the front lines are you gonna freak out or buckle down and listen to your leader. That won't be engaged until they prove themselves. Highschool is a 180 compared to college.

Example: Barnett

I don't like making threads. Just know, what is happening on rocky top is positive and exciting. These recruit transfers that is happening is positive. This occurs because they are getting out recruited. This exposes the lack of competitiveness of some of these young guys, yet excels the competitiveness everywhere else. If your soft now, wait til things get tough. The reason why y'all are freakin is because it has been so long since we have been back to this stage, a stage of top flight recruits and back to the winning ways. This will happen every year and be happy for it. It could be, the soft guys stay, and we got no other better recruits to replace them with, such as when coach DD was here. If players that are buried in depth aren't transferring, and coaches aren't being pursued then your not doing something right.

I am not "freaking" and in spite of your now 60+ likes.... we do not yet know if this will be positive or not. We don't even know for sure that the recently rumored transfers are happening.

You nor I nor most anyone else here knows why these recruits have left or why others might be considering it. Some may well be thinking of leaving because they don't see a role for themselves that they like. That's not the reason Hendrix left... or Dallas Vincent IMO. Probably others.

I am very close to letting a recently hired employee go. We researched and assessed her thoroughly. We believed she was a good fit for the job and our company culture. But in two months she's managed to alienate herself from many of her coworkers. She's expressed an unacceptable attitude concerning some core company values. We have a unique culture intentionally promoted by my upper mgt, my staff, and me. It isn't all that forgiving for someone who doesn't fit it.

There ARE trade offs. We have lost people with "talent" who were "better" at their jobs than some of the people who continue to work here. It is unfortunate... but you really want to look at the "whole" and not the loss of one talented person.... or multiples.

As hard as you may try, some people just aren't going to fit. However that does NOT mean that them leaving is positive. It could very well lead to failure if you cannot retain enough of the right people.

I did "freak" over Hendrix some because he had earned PT and more so because they were losing too many DE's. My main argument is that Jones had to figure out what was going wrong and fix it. If our business had 70% attrition in one position and normal attrition everywhere else... that would raise flags. The "real" freaking out came from those who really couldn't handle the suggestion that it was anything BUT the kids' fault.

Reactions: 1 person
You start worry if the big time contributors start to transfer or bad mouth or regress, that's when something is wrong. I don't got to explain this no more. I'm just trying to chill you all out. It's been to long since my school has been back to this stage.
Thank you MR. Stephens !!! :bow2:

You nor I nor most anyone else here knows why these recruits have left or why others might be considering it. Some may well be thinking of leaving because they don't see a role for themselves that they like. That's not the reason Hendrix left... or Dallas Vincent IMO. Probably others.

Actually, of all of us here he may be the only one privy to some of this info. At the very least, his educated guesses and opinions are far more reliable and likely to be accurate than your opinion.

Reactions: 8 people
Actually, of all of us here he may be the only one privy to some of this info. At the very least, his educated guesses and opinions are far more reliable and likely to be accurate than your opinion.

He didn't really state any "info". He stated some opinions. Info would be "my source said that Vic felt like the coaches favored other guys over him". Not "It could be, the soft guys stay, and we got no other better recruits to replace them with, such as when coach DD was here."

I can pretty much guarantee that a guy who earned PT as a Fr at the DE position in the SEC didn't leave because he was too soft.

My major point is that sometimes it just doesn't work out. You think it will then it doesn't. However the guy in charge STILL has to account for those losses and make adjustments. If Jones has made anything clear publicly then it is this: You want to retain and develop your talent so that you have a deep team that depends mostly on upperclassmen. Bleeding talent for whatever reason doesn't help that.

When I see people complaining about coaches being tough on players as a reason they transfer, I think of this clip

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2M4ilVaAmI[/youtube]

Reactions: 5 people
Well, despite there being potential of depth issues at certain spots, over all, I still feel optimistic about where we are and where we are headed.

The "something is rotten in the state of Denmark" posts just don't bother me much.

Do we have the depth already to be okay with weeding out "quality" players though? I don't think so. Not yet.

Last edited:
The "something is rotten in the state of Denmark" posts just don't bother me much.

I really don't believe that losing an OC or a couple receivers are catastrophic problems or abnormal. I just disagree with the idea that we KNOW it is "positive stuff". It is "change" which could be positive, negative, or just an obstacle that is overcome.

Why do they have to be soft? We're putting labels on kids who are doing things we're not but they're soft?

Man, stop with the Negative Nancy spin stuff. Whether you call them "soft", "uninspired", "unmotivated", "weak sisters" or whatever, it is what it is. They are being recruited over. If those replacement recruits come in, and aren't up to par, they will get the boot also. Saban does the same thing. 4* and 5* players who under-perform or stay injured are boat anchors. Think of the movie "300". That's the type of players CBJ is assembling. The strong strive and survive. It's a new day on the hill.

Do we have the debt already to be okay with weeding out "quality" players though? I don't think so. Not yet.

At WR, yes though I have not seen solid confirmation that either of those players are leaving. Rumors can get pretty ridiculous this time of year. I'm not sure they've found a home for Sawyers yet. If he or the staff have doubts about his role with UT then sooner rather than later is probably good for his departure.

I really don't believe that losing an OC or a couple receivers are catastrophic problems or abnormal. I just disagree with the idea that we KNOW it is "positive stuff". It is "change" which could be positive, negative, or just an obstacle that is overcome.

Yeah, nobody knows for sure.. but it was stated on a message board filled with opinions. 34s first hand knowledge of CFB programs, rates his opinion more valuable than mine.

They are being recruited over.

There is no way to know that this is the case for all those that leave. We can be pretty certain that it isn't the case for all. Stripling stated publicly that they didn't want Hendrix to leave... that wasn't a good thing or a case where someone was likely to come in and prevent him from playing.

There are many reasons a player might leave and some of them are related to the coaching staff and have little to do with a player's competitiveness, toughness, or talent.

VN Store

Back