This is positive stuff

unfortunately the "me" generations will only get worse and more of this will happen in the future; you just can't project work ethic at the next level with some of these players

I'm honestly beginning to believe that this is where CBJ wants to be for the long run. If he's trimming the fat from the guys that don't want to give their all for a free ride to school and "immortality" among fans like Mr. TS here, we should support him. We should let him know that we're behind him in whatever he's doing.

Wait a minute! I thought bUTch was going to U of Michigan!!!!

Let me rephrase that. Not competitive to put in the work so that the new guy doesn't take your place, or so that your not buried on the depth chart. I had to check myself when I was thinking about transferring and re analyze myself. I decided that no way in hell I'm gonna let some one beat me my senior year so I am gonna stick through and work my tail off. I was also buried but I worked my way to the top. A lot of times kids just wanna play right away and don't want to do the work. Imagine having Jamal Lewis travis Henry, then Cedric houston and Jabari Davis and these guys to beat. It took work.

Several years ago my wife got the print of that run against Florida for my birthday. It proudly hangs in my home office and makes me smile to this day. Thanks for staying around until you were a Senior.....

Reactions: 1 person
I don't like making threads. Just know, what is happening on rocky top is positive and exciting. These recruit transfers that is happening is positive. This occurs because they are getting out recruited. This exposes the lack of competitiveness of some of these young guys, yet excels the competitiveness everywhere else. If your soft now, wait til things get tough. The reason why y'all are freakin is because it has been so long since we have been back to this stage, a stage of top flight recruits and back to the winning ways. This will happen every year and be happy for it. It could be, the soft guys stay, and we got no other better recruits to replace them with, such as when coach DD was here. If players that are buried in depth aren't transferring, and coaches aren't being pursued then your not doing something right.

Couldn't agree more! Well said and honestly, who on this board can argue your perspective? All of this is so much more public than years ago. It's very easy to say that CBJ is being "unfair", "cutthroat" or whatever else people are saying about these departures and recruiting moves. Truth is, it's gone on for years but was less public because there was no Twitter, Rivals, Scout, etc.

Great positive thread. Competition is what makes you stronger. It is great to see the recruits coming in at the level they are. It would be even greater if the ones that are there would work harder so that they all would excel. VFL

unfortunately the "me" generations will only get worse and more of this will happen in the future; you just can't project work ethic at the next level with some of these players

Work ethic is what makes Manning better prepared than the other team when they take the field.
Work ethic is what made Jerry Rice better by him just catching his second wind in the 4th quarter when the d.b's were sucking wind in the 4th. He trained hard in the off season and got ALOT of receptions and yardage in the 4th when the defenders were sore and worn out but he was just getting warmed up.

Work ethic is what makes Manning better prepared than the other team when they take the field.
Work ethic is what made Jerry Rice better by him just catching his second wind in the 4th quarter when the d.b's were sucking wind in the 4th. He trained hard in the off season and got ALOT of receptions and yardage in the 4th when the defenders were sore and worn out but he was just getting warmed up.
to go along with that. Manning did not have a powerful arm. Jerry rice was not fast. Their drive, will, and work made them great. They are a student of their own game.

Reactions: 9 people
I don't want to contradict Travis Stephens, because he's awesome, but if I take his evaluation at face value, it still leaves me with a question...if all these players are soft, then why did Butch sign a recruiting class with over 25% "soft" players? Seems like an awfully high number.

to go along with that. Manning did not have a powerful arm. Jerry rice was not fast. Their drive, will, and work made them great. They are a student of their own game.

Thanks for the perspective..some on here don't get it..

I don't want to contradict Travis Stephens, because he's awesome, but if I take his evaluation at face value, it still leaves me with a question...if all these players are soft, then why did Butch sign a recruiting class with over 25% "soft" players? Seems like an awfully high number.

You can't engage a 17 year olds mind until they are in the trenches man. When your on the front lines are you gonna freak out or buckle down and listen to your leader. That won't be engaged until they prove themselves. Highschool is a 180 compared to college.

Reactions: 15 people

Shocking you disagree but it is hard to project work ethic at the next level

Bajakian's leaving and we're turning away 4 star recruits because we already have too much talent?

Attachments

• Good news.jpg
    Good news.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 7 people
You start worry if the big time contributors start to transfer or bad mouth or regress, that's when something is wrong. I don't got to explain this no more. I'm just trying to chill you all out. It's been to long since my school has been back to this stage.

Reactions: 22 people
Thanks for the voice of reason 34. Hopefully, folks will listen to you.

BTW - I've never understood guys that can't take coaches yelling or getting after them to make them better. I credit my high school baseball coach for single-handedly instilling in me the kind of work ethic and discipline it takes to be successful in life.....and he did it by riding my arse every minute of practice.

Some kids are wired differently or just haven't figured it out yet. "Tough love" is not something all of these guys received uniformly and some (having not experienced it to such a degree) misinterpret it and only see the "tough" portion. Generally everyone grows up, looks back on such times and thinks damn I wish I had pushed myself when coach so n so yelled at me, rather than getting pissed off and wanting to quit playing for him. There's a fine line coaches have to ride to get the best out of players while also not DE-motivating them.

I don't like making threads. Just know, what is happening on rocky top is positive and exciting. These recruit transfers that is happening is positive. This occurs because they are getting out recruited. This exposes the lack of competitiveness of some of these young guys, yet excels the competitiveness everywhere else. If your soft now, wait til things get tough. The reason why y'all are freakin is because it has been so long since we have been back to this stage, a stage of top flight recruits and back to the winning ways. This will happen every year and be happy for it. It could be, the soft guys stay, and we got no other better recruits to replace them with, such as when coach DD was here. If players that are buried in depth aren't transferring, and coaches aren't being pursued then your not doing something right.

All I can say is I'll never forget watching you run wild in the swamp back in 2001. I'm not a football guy (love to watch, but am honest enough to admit I don't know all the nuances), but I can't say I've ever seen someone run with as much determination as you did that day. Classic college memory for me. :hi:

Reactions: 4 people
Let me rephrase that. Not competitive to put in the work so that the new guy doesn't take your place, or so that your not buried on the depth chart. I had to check myself when I was thinking about transferring and re analyze myself. I decided that no way in hell I'm gonna let some one beat me my senior year so I am gonna stick through and work my tail off. I was also buried but I worked my way to the top. A lot of times kids just wanna play right away and don't want to do the work. Imagine having Jamal Lewis travis Henry, then Cedric houston and Jabari Davis and these guys to beat. It took work.

Oh wow, VFL34 you're Travis Stephens? I'm not gonna lie, I feel awed to share the same thread with you. As reflected in my Volnation profile pic, your performance in the 2001 Florida game was probably the most inspiring moment I witnessed as a Vol fan. Thanks for sticking it out and dominating when you got your opportunity!

Reactions: 10 people
Why do they have to be soft? We're putting labels on kids who are doing things we're not but they're soft?

because VFL34 is the ultimate example of what he just said. Stacked backfields of Jamal Lewis and Travis Henry along with himself,he didnt transfer...he worked his arse off and when he got his time,everybody else paid the price of his hard work...

so if he says they are soft,I tend to take his word for it as the gospel...

Reactions: 2 people
I was the smallest, just faster than Jabari Davis, but I worked to do what it takes. They had superior talent but I worked and worked. Ced houston and Jabari and all them are my boys. Hell of running backs. That is just to explain to you that sometimes people don't have that drive that we all had. And when they don't they won't have that drive when your down going into the 4th quarter against bama or Florida when it's raining or cold and your hurt and people are cussing you out and coaches are screaming at yiu

You are very much correct with your post. Now someway somehow, can you please talk to Wharton?

BTW - I've never understood guys that can't take coaches yelling or getting after them to make them better. I credit my high school baseball coach for single-handedly instilling in me the kind of work ethic and discipline it takes to be successful in life.....and he did it by riding my arse every minute of practice.

I remember my 2nd practice in college my coach got on me. I was a little shell shocked. I just stood there... I guess he didn't like my reaction so he kept going. It got worse and worse and worse. Then all the sudden I snapped back to reality and I got a big smile on my face. Well that wasn't the reaction he was looking for either so he asked me what the hell I was smiling about. I said, "I got you coach... Let's get better"

We were good to go then. He still got on me and he got on me hard. But it made me better. To this day he is one of the most influential people in my life. I love that guy!

That evening I called my dad. I said well dad I guess I'm a grown man now.... He said. " what are you talking about". I said "coach sure as hell talked to me like a grown man today, so I must be one"

Reactions: 4 people
LOL yeah. I think he's certainly earned that right.

Fulmer cussed me out on a play where I cut back and ran 26 yards and made me sit out a play. His reason???? If I had followed my lead block I would have scored on a 48 yard touchdown run. Needless to say, college is a lot different. The NFL is another level

Reactions: 18 people
Fulmer cussed me out on a play where I cut back and ran 26 yards and made me sit out a play. His reason???? If I had followed my lead block I would have scored on a 48 yard touchdown run. Needless to say, college is a lot different. The NFL is another level

Yeah, something similar happened to me when I was playing for my JV team as a junior in high school. Casual fans don't understand vets like us, do they VFL34?

Reactions: 7 people
Very well said, OP. I have to say this makes the most sense. Thanks for giving us your perspective. It's an honor.

VN Store

Back