This is positive stuff

I hate to see any of our players leave, but it does happen--at every school. Coach B leaving is good for everyone. It really is. He has been following Butch around for years and needs to be on his own.

Thanks for the input Mr.Stephens aka VFL34. I always appreciate hearing a player's perspective. Thanks for being a VOL and it was a pleasure watching you play!

I am not "freaking" and in spite of your now 60+ likes.... we do not yet know if this will be positive or not. We don't even know for sure that the recently rumored transfers are happening.

You nor I nor most anyone else here knows why these recruits have left or why others might be considering it. Some may well be thinking of leaving because they don't see a role for themselves that they like. That's not the reason Hendrix left... or Dallas Vincent IMO. Probably others.

I am very close to letting a recently hired employee go. We researched and assessed her thoroughly. We believed she was a good fit for the job and our company culture. But in two months she's managed to alienate herself from many of her coworkers. She's expressed an unacceptable attitude concerning some core company values. We have a unique culture intentionally promoted by my upper mgt, my staff, and me. It isn't all that forgiving for someone who doesn't fit it.

There ARE trade offs. We have lost people with "talent" who were "better" at their jobs than some of the people who continue to work here. It is unfortunate... but you really want to look at the "whole" and not the loss of one talented person.... or multiples.

As hard as you may try, some people just aren't going to fit. However that does NOT mean that them leaving is positive. It could very well lead to failure if you cannot retain enough of the right people.

I did "freak" over Hendrix some because he had earned PT and more so because they were losing too many DE's. My main argument is that Jones had to figure out what was going wrong and fix it. If our business had 70% attrition in one position and normal attrition everywhere else... that would raise flags. The "real" freaking out came from those who really couldn't handle the suggestion that it was anything BUT the kids' fault.

Dude, after posting that response to somebody who actually played the game at this level, and played it well, you might want to consider getting some help. I will ride with 34 1000% over your constant, nervous nelly handwringing.

Reactions: 14 people
Why do they have to be soft? We're putting labels on kids who are doing things we're not but they're soft?
Because they are.I played 4 years of ball in college didnt play alot till I was a rs jr.Man up. Be a team guy first.Iam glad they are leaving.The kids these days are soft.I employee over a hundred people and most of my new hires don't make it.You wAnna know why? Because Mama aND Daddy have told them their entire life they are special and have given them 90% of every thing they ever wanted.So when they hire in they think they should be on equal footing as a 20 year employee.Most think they should start on top and own the place within 2 years.Same thing with these freshman players. Spoiled ass brats.Hit the road.We don't need these weak minded punks.

Last edited:
Dude, after posting that response to somebody who actually played the game at this level, and played it well, you might want to consider getting some help. I will ride with 34 1000%

DUDE, the claim that all of the kids leaving or thinking about leaving just couldn't hack it... is all but certain to be false REGARDLESS of who says it. I can't say why 34 would suggest that. Maybe he's just being comforting or trying to rationalize it himself. These aren't catastrophic losses and if you'd paid any attention at all to my recent posts you'd have known I believe that.

Players leave for various reasons... not just because they couldn't hack it.

over your constant, nervous nelly handwringing.
DUDE, don't compound your overreaction with a LIE. There are people doing some serious handwringing right now over these kids leaving and the coaching change(s). I ain't one of 'em. I'm VERY SIMPLY POINTING OUT that being "soft" isn't the only reason someone might leave the program.

I EVEN used a personal example where things looked good when I hired someone but then didn't line up afterwards. We didn't change. I don't think she intentionally cultivated expectations that didn't match the job we gave her. She's neither bad nor untalented because she's having trouble with the new job.

You people are sometimes amazingly afraid of anything that you actually have to think about to understand.

Reactions: 1 person
The drama is what makes this place fun, and by the way, you can only agree with someone up to 100%...it can be less, but not more.

Yeah, nobody knows for sure.. but it was stated on a message board filled with opinions. 34s first hand knowledge of CFB programs, rates his opinion more valuable than mine.

And over mine... but that doesn't make him infallible. I would be surprised if he actually believes that kids only leave a program because they're "soft" or untalented or couldn't hack it. But since he implied that there are legions of folks who can't handle disappointing things like this very well who go into a frenzy when I disagreed.

We all love the VFLs but their word is not Gospel. It really isn't. They do have more insight into how the program was when they were there, but I believe things change as time goes on. I value all VFLs' opinion, but it is exactly that...an opinion.

Thanks VFLs for adding to our enjoyment over the years of watching our team.

The drama is why I can only be here for 5 minutes before doing something much more interesting. Like watching paint dry or pulling my finger nails out 1 by 1 with wire pliers. Thanks for the memories Travis, I opened the thread to see what your perspective was, and I appreciate your input. Should have known the thread would end up like this.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't like making threads. Just know, what is happening on rocky top is positive and exciting. These recruit transfers that is happening is positive. This occurs because they are getting out recruited. This exposes the lack of competitiveness of some of these young guys, yet excels the competitiveness everywhere else. If your soft now, wait til things get tough. The reason why y'all are freakin is because it has been so long since we have been back to this stage, a stage of top flight recruits and back to the winning ways. This will happen every year and be happy for it. It could be, the soft guys stay, and we got no other better recruits to replace them with, such as when coach DD was here. If players that are buried in depth aren't transferring, and coaches aren't being pursued then your not doing something right.

I've been in revival all week, but I've got an Amen left for this!

Reactions: 1 person
DUDE, the claim that all of the kids leaving or thinking about leaving just couldn't hack it... is all but certain to be false REGARDLESS of who says it. I can't say why 34 would suggest that. Maybe he's just being comforting or trying to rationalize it himself. These aren't catastrophic losses and if you'd paid any attention at all to my recent posts you'd have known I believe that.

Players leave for various reasons... not just because they couldn't hack it.

DUDE, don't compound your overreaction with a LIE. There are people doing some serious handwringing right now over these kids leaving and the coaching change(s). I ain't one of 'em. I'm VERY SIMPLY POINTING OUT that being "soft" isn't the only reason someone might leave the program.

I EVEN used a personal example where things looked good when I hired someone but then didn't line up afterwards. We didn't change. I don't think she intentionally cultivated expectations that didn't match the job we gave her. She's neither bad nor untalented because she's having trouble with the new job.

You people are sometimes amazingly afraid of anything that you actually have to think about to understand.

By your very definition, these kids "could not hack it." If they are leaving, they can't hack it.

I agree with your point that there are many reasons a kid might leave but overall, they leave because they can not handle it ("it" being academics, not being an immediate star, can't take the coach yelling, not big enough, strong enough, fast enough, can't integrate culturally, exc.)

College football, hell college in general, is about your ability to adapt.

Last edited:
And over mine... but that doesn't make him infallible. I would be surprised if he actually believes that kids only leave a program because they're "soft" or untalented or couldn't hack it. But since he implied that there are legions of folks who can't handle disappointing things like this very well who go into a frenzy when I disagreed.

I would say everyone understands there can be different reasons. There is this miscommunication in almost all of the debates I see you in.

The rest of the world is content with getting the gist of a fanboard post. It doesn't need to be in essay form for debate class. I get it's your style but I think you often underestimate others because they don't choose to do so.

Reactions: 3 people
By your very definition, these kids "could not hack it." If they are leaving, they can't hack it.
Assuming you have had a job and more than one... did you always leave because you couldn't hack it? Did you never leave because you didn't like the direction of the company as it related to you? Did you ever leave because the boss who you thought was great turned out to be someone you couldn't work with?

Good grief! This isn't HARD to understand.

There are times when "good" people can't work with other "good" people.

I would say everyone understands there can be different reasons.
You didn't read this thread, did you?

There is this miscommunication in almost all of the debates I see you in.

No. I continue to explain because rather than answering with substance or saying "Oh, yeah, I see that", they either continue to argue without reason or start taking personal shots at me.

If I am wrong then I am more than willing to accept a better explanation. If you will take a little time, you will see that all I did was state that players leave for different reasons and not all of them are because they are somehow deficient. From there, it quickly spiraled down into lectures about how I should not dare question 34's opinion or claims that indeed every kid that leaves the program just wasn't good enough to stay. They totally discount the idea that a very good player might leave simply because they think they have a better option OR because they don't like the staff. That happens.

No, he is right when sjt and his ilk get involved it makes me want to take a swan dive off of the roof onto a parking lot. He is literally the World's worst glass half empty guy and would argue with a ham sandwich.

Yeah... That's why with all the bridge jumpers in the coaching change threads... I'm telling them it is a normal part of having coaches that other teams want.

Are you guys seriously weak? Are you seriously that blind? If a glass has 50% of the water it can hold then it is BOTH half full and half empty... Yet we have folks like you that will argue til the end of time that it is only "half full" and not half empty.

Some of you need to go take a stroll through the "It's all about fit" thread.... You want to see hand-wringing and negativity? You want to see people questioning Jones? Have fun.

You didn't read this thread, did you?
- your reply to me

"Good grief! This isn't HARD to understand." - Your reply to another poster.

You are condescending and so positive that you understand things that others do not...yes, I imagine they attack you.

Just pretend, by some crazy misfire in the universe, that I am correct...

All of the posters are smart enough to know that there are several possiblities for a players departure but also understood that Travis gave the most common.
Now in this wild scenerio of everyone understanding, only 1 poster felt the need to point out (in argumentative form) these other possibilities.

If my theory is correct, then said posters would feel insulted and weary of your assumptions.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back