Things that make you feel old...

Wait - sorry, but was anyone here around at Stokely Athletic Center when we played Kentucky in the mid 70s with Ernie and Bernie and the entire 12,000 fans were totally silent and held up Daily Beacons when the Wildcats were announced?

That's old!

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not offended in any way...

I had the redneck daily double that night. I remember eating catfish at the Po Folks before that. I couldn't tell you what was served at my wedding (other than the awesome 3D Neyland Stadium groom's cake that my wife splurged on) but I can remember the Po Folks before Monday night wrestling when I was 7 years old.

I can still remember several meals before after/games in 1998 (even Rafferty's, where I got sick)

You are my kind of people!!:salute:

Last edited:
Outstanding!! Hope you are not offended but if the reward for good grades was getting to go to Monday Night Wrestling at the Mid-South Coliseum, you grew up in a redneck household.......and I greatly respect that!!:rock:

It's probably safe to say that you and I are the only ones on this board who remember this particular event!!!:yes:

LOL, saw Lawler rassle in K ville while in college. He lost. Wrote him a gag letter that we Memphians had spent hard cash to see him. He, in turn, wrote back, sent Lawler postcards and a hand writtten letter apologizing that his mind was on a softball game he had upcoming back in Memphis. THE KING!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
The other day I was listening to XMradio in my car and "Classic Rewind" played Mysterious Ways by U2. I almost drove off the road.

Wait - sorry, but was anyone here around at Stokely Athletic Center when we played Kentucky in the mid 70s with Ernie and Bernie and the entire 12,000 fans were totally silent and held up Daily Beacons when the Wildcats were announced?

That's old!

I was there and that was fun!

My kids think I'm really old because I didn't have Internet or cell phones growing up.

As a little kid my first UT game was when Jimmy Streater was our QB. Didn't get to see another one until Alan Cockrell. Now my oldest will graduate from college this december.

Friend of mine who was a pom pom girl went to orientation the week before me and said she met our new QB at the underground. Name was Peyton Manning. She heard he was supposed to be good.

Last edited:
Listening to John Ward call the UT Bama game in 1982 to break the streak, while splitting wood on farm and having first beer. That, and losing to Rutgers one week and beating Notre Dame the next in 1979.

Listening to John Ward call the UT Bama game in 1982 to break the streak, while splitting wood on farm and having first beer. That, and losing to Rutgers one week and beating Notre Dame the next in 1979.

I can top that one. Drove over from West Tenn to see the Vols lose to Rutgers and then saying I would never go to another UT game. Vols beat ND the next week and the week after that, I drove to Jackson, MS to see the Vols get blown out in the 4th quarter by Ole Miss.:mf_surrender:

The other day I was listening to XMradio in my car and "Classic Rewind" played Mysterious Ways by U2. I almost drove off the road.

Man, I hate that.

The other day, a Prince song came on XM and I told my son that it had hit #1 when I was his age. To which my son replied, " you realize that when you were my age, if a 33 year old song came on the radio, there's no way it could have an electric guitar because it hadn't been invented yet?"

Reactions: 3 people
Bag phones were badass. You could reach out and touch someone with those.

Yep, and it was soon replaced by the first cordless cell phone AKA "the brick".

http://www.zrarts.com/First-Phone/

Last edited:
I just realized it's been like 18 years since John Ward retired. Man, I miss hearing him call the games.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back