Things Could Get Better

Bottom line. Winning is fun. Losing sucks.

And bottom line, some of us are old enough and mature enough to know that UT hoops has never been a juggernaut...ever.

If anyone is waiting on Martin to be the next Pearl then you need to follow another team. That isn't happening. However, comparisons to Wade Houston and the like shows your ignorance.

Let the season play out and then bash all you want. Martin is going to get at least a third season. If we're seeing the same things with more talent and more experienced players then a change will be made. Pissing and moaning about it isn't going to change the opinions of the people who make the ultimate decisions.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't let them talk you out of being optimistic.
Nothing wrong with that.
Some of us sour pusses have just given up.

I don't think anybody has talked me out of anything. I just want to be better at seeing things from other peoples perspectives.

Given up? On the whole season? Does that mean you're done watching them this year?

I've said it before, the reason I post is because I care. And I'm all for good discussions on reasons why we stink as well as constructive discussion on getting better.

What I don't like are the flamers that when disagreed with fly into personal attacks and rants as if they have some air of authority.

I like to see both sides.
It's what a boards for.
Wouldn't be interesting if everyone agreed about everything and you'd never learn anything.
Sometimes people actually post something that sheds some light on things I don't understand.

Let the season play out and then bash all you want. Martin is going to get at least a third season. If we're seeing the same things with more talent and more experienced players then a change will be made. Pissing and moaning about it isn't going to change the opinions of the people who make the ultimate decisions.

Truth

And bottom line, some of us are old enough and mature enough to know that UT hoops has never been a juggernaut...ever.

If anyone is waiting on Martin to be the next Pearl then you need to follow another team. That isn't happening. However, comparisons to Wade Houston and the like shows your ignorance.

So he is going to be the next Don Devoe.....awesome you have me so excited. LOL

I don't think anybody has talked me out of anything. I just want to be better at seeing things from other peoples perspectives.

Given up? On the whole season? Does that mean you're done watching them this year?

No. I still watch and jump and scream and scare my dogs.
I pull hard every game but after Football and denver and Indy, I've gotten where I don't get my hopes up too high.

Lest ye forget, Wade Houston's first team went 10-8 in the SEC and beat Memphis State in Memphis in the NIT. Comparisons to Wade Houston are not completely without merit. Let's hope this team does not fall apart like the team did in Houston's second season.

So he is going to be the next Don Devoe.....awesome you have me so excited. LOL

If he can coach like Devoe, it wouldn't be that bad. Devoe could coach. He just wasn't the best recruiter. Then the shot clock came along and he was really screwed.

He went to 5 straight NCAA's (6 out of 11 years), coached UT to their first Sweet 16 and was the last UT coach to win the SEC tourney when it was reinstated in 1979. Then he got fired after making the NCAA tourney in his last year.

We could do worse. And did. Alexander then hired Houston and our hoops program might as well have been put on probation.

Lest ye forget, Wade Houston's first team went 10-8 in the SEC and beat Memphis State in Memphis in the NIT. Comparisons to Wade Houston are not completely without merit. Let's hope this team does not fall apart like the team did in Houston's second season.

Ian Lockhart was my favorite player on that team.

Houston never finished as high as 2nd in the SEC either. Martin did it in his 1st year.

The only thing that Houston did that was memorable (besides losing a lot of games) was guide his team to a miraculous run in the SEC tourney in his 2nd year to fall short in the finals against Bama. They won only 9 games all year coming into the tourney and won 3 in a row and knocked off two of the better teams in the SEC. He finished 12-22 that year. He had an overall record of 65-90. He also had a 5 win season after Allen left. Let me know when Martin only wins 5 games in one season.

The cuonzo club will be quick to point out a meaningless second place tie in sec play. No one cares but it's the only bright spot they have. Otherwise, one was given Allan and one was given Jarnell.

The cuonzo club will be quick to point out a meaningless second place tie in sec play. No one cares but it's the only bright spot they have. Otherwise, one was given Allan and one was given Jarnell.

Yeah, I'm sure if UT had finished 11th like everyone projected them to finish then you and the other Debbie Downers would've just been fine with it. Wait, you didn't even wait that long. You wanted him fired after the 14th game in his first season and before he coached his first game in the SEC season.

Carry on Legions of the Miserable...

Yeah, I'm sure if UT had finished 11th like everyone projected them to finish then you and the other Debbie Downers would've just been fine with it. Wait, you didn't even wait that long. You wanted him fired after the 14th game in his first season and before he coached his first game in the SEC season.

Carry on Legions of the Miserable...

They just didn't like the hire and he has yet to prove them wrong.

They just didn't like the hire and he has yet to prove them wrong.

Other than having never heard of the guy, I was fine with the hire. When it was painfully obvious he couldn't coach at this level and was in way over his head is when his shipped sailed for me. And it's still out there over the horizon.

Other than having never heard of the guy, I was fine with the hire. When it was painfully obvious he couldn't coach at this level and was in way over his head is when his shipped sailed for me. And it's still out there over the horizon.

I'm aiming for a serious discussion here, so please answer in a non smart a$$ way.

When was it made painfully obvious he couldn't coach? I reserve judgment for people after they've finished a year Atleast...looking back and saying he wins 19 games, finishes second in the SEC, and narrowly misses the dance...

I wouldn't have ever made the call that he "couldn't coach", i was actually pretty impressed with what he did last year.

Last edited:
I'm aiming for a serious discussion here, so please answer in a non smart a$$ way.

Whe was it made painfully obvious he couldn't coach? I reserve judgment for people after they've finished a year Atleast...looking back and saying he wins 19 games, finishes second in the SEC, and narrowly misses the dance...

I wouldn't have ever made the call that he "couldn't coach", i was actually pretty impressed with what he did last year.
Have you been impressed this year?

Have you been impressed this year?

I have not, but once again as I said in the post you quoted, I reserve judgment for the year to be over.

His 3rd year was when he got things really going at Missouri State, I'm willing to give him 3 here as well.

Last edited:
I have not, but once again as I said in the post you quoted, I reserve judgment for the year to be over.

I fear it's going to become painfully obvious on Saturday.
We still don't know how to attack the zone and haven't played defense in the last 4 games.
Hope I'm wrong.

VN Store

Back