The Weightlifters Thread

Yea, some guys come in with no plan or structure & expect results. 2 sets of 135 on bench or some crap. Then the guys that don't touch their chest when they bench like that's more beneficial. Or the guys that try to squat or leg press way too much weight & barely bend their knees. Or the guys that break their back curling. I laugh when I hear a guy say I wanna get cut but not too big.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
I don't touch chest on bench because of my shoulder and do just fine.

I laugh when I hear a guy say I wanna get cut but not too big.

That might be the most annoying thing I hear from people when it comes to lifting. "I just wanna get toned up, not get real big." Whether it's my 6' 150 lb friend or even someone over 220 lbs, it's irritating that they think they'll unwillingly get huge muscles overnight from lifting heavy weights or taking protein.

I don't touch chest on bench because of my shoulder and do just fine.

Yeah, I don't usually touch chest either. It's not necessary. Coming within an inch is much more beneficial than bouncing it off your chest.

I believe you have to touch chest in power lifting, but it's not necessarily ideal in building muscle. Searching the topic I found this:

1 - Setup yourself on the bench with wide and stable footing.

2 - Select the correct grip (practice with an empty bar if you're unsure)

3 - Lower the bar towards your nipples slowly until it is about 1in off your chest

4 - Pause for a second

5 - Push the bar back up to 2in from the starting position

6 - Repeat the above for the whole set

Importance of correct bench press technique - Bench-Press.net

I'm sure you can find articles supporting both. Just like about everything else in weightlifting.

For me, it just doesn't feel right if I don't touch.

I'm sure you can find articles supporting both. Just like about everything else in weightlifting.

For me, it just doesn't feel right if I don't touch.

I agree, but the guy who brought it up is scoffing at people who don't touch, like they don't know anything about lifting. There is a lot of support for it.

"NO TOUCHING!"

3078128_gal.jpg

I've never saw a bench competition where they say hover an inch then lift. By no means am I saying use your chest as a springboard either. Everything is touch & go with regular flat bench. Sometimes I will add lockouts as a supplemental lift where you put a block on your chest & do partial reps usually with heavier weight than normal. Btw I wasn't scoffing anybody. I just don't see how you can call it a full rep when you don't actually do one. To me it's no different than loading 400lbs on the squat rack & barely flexing your knees, it's just not a rep. To each their own. If you're hovering then you're probably not lifting much weight anyway.

Last edited:
(1) I've never saw a bench competition where they say hover an inch then lift. By no means am I saying use your chest as a springboard either. Everything is touch & go with regular flat bench. Sometimes I will add lockouts as a supplemental lift where you put a block on your chest & do partial reps usually with heavier weight than normal. (2) Btw I wasn't scoffing anybody. I just don't see how you can call it a full rep when you don't actually do one. To me it's no different than loading 400lbs on the squat rack & barely flexing your knees, it's just not a rep.

Yea, some guys come in with no plan or structure & expect results. 2 sets of 135 on bench or some crap. Then the guys that don't touch their chest when they bench like that's more beneficial. Or the guys that try to squat or leg press way too much weight & barely bend their knees. Or the guys that break their back curling. I laugh when I hear a guy say I wanna get cut but not too big.

(1) A lot of people don't train for power lifting, I personally train for shape.

(2) Kind of sounds like you were scoffing, not at me personally, but at people who train for different results than you. But I agree with your other points about 2" squats. It can serve a purpose, but if it's what you do for squats every week you're going nowhere.

BTW, breaking your back to do curls ain't good, but cheat curls are amazing. One of Arnold's favorite lifts.

Last edited:
(1) A lot of people don't train for power lifting, I personally train for shape.

(2) Kind of sounds like you were scoffing, not at me personally, but at people who train for different results than you.

Sorry if I struck a nerve. How do you lift just to shape muscles & not get stronger? Everybody I know lifts to get stonger & build muscle & getting bigger & more defined is part of it.

I think he is saying he just doesn't do really heavy weight. More of a higher rep workout.

I believe in full ROM. For me, that's touching your chest. Shoulder problems are another story.

Sorry if I struck a nerve. How do you lift just to shape muscles & not get stronger? Everybody I know lifts to get stonger & build muscle & getting bigger & more defined is part of it.

Lifting weights helps bone strength and helps cardiac function. Some people lift to stay healthy.

Full ROM is good. But not easy, so many don't do it... "If it was easy, everybody would do it"

I think he is saying he just doesn't do really heavy weight. More of a higher rep workout.

If you're doing 5 sets of 20 with 100lbs eventually it's not gonna benefit you because it's too easy. Guess what you got stronger. You add weight or do more reps to get more results. Good cardio will help balance weight lifting too so you won't have to worry about getting "too big".

If you're doing 5 sets of 20 with 100lbs eventually it's not gonna benefit you because it's too easy. Guess what you got stronger. You add weight or do more reps to get more results. Good cardio will help balance weight lifting too so you won't have to worry about getting "too big".

Thanks

:eek:lol:

Onto something else. Does anyone have their ACE or NASM certification? I've been looking into that.

I don't touch my chest because of my shoulder but I do stop about 1 inch from my chest. I don't hold it for 2 seconds because I don't have a lifting partner to catch me. I usually do 3 x 10 x 135. I don't think my grip is proper, though. Pretty sure it's too wide.

I believe you have to touch chest in power lifting, but it's not necessarily ideal in building muscle. Searching the topic I found this:

1 - Setup yourself on the bench with wide and stable footing.

2 - Select the correct grip (practice with an empty bar if you're unsure)

3 - Lower the bar towards your nipples slowly until it is about 1in off your chest

4 - Pause for a second

5 - Push the bar back up to 2in from the starting position

6 - Repeat the above for the whole set

Importance of correct bench press technique - Bench-Press.net

That's my exact bench routine, except I pause for 3 sec.

I don't touch my chest because of my shoulder but I do stop about 1 inch from my chest. I don't hold it for 2 seconds because I don't have a lifting partner to catch me. I usually do 3 x 10 x 135. I don't think my grip is proper, though. Pretty sure it's too wide.

If you have shoulder issues use dumbbells.

P.S. Don't try to be the biggest swingin dick in the weightroom and start low and work your weight up.

If you have shoulder issues use dumbbells.

P.S. Don't try to be the biggest swingin dick in the weightroom and start low and work your weight up.

I use dumbells more often. I usually go with a high rep rather than high weight. I'm not really looking to build muscle mass, just tone.

VN Store

Back