The Weightlifters Thread

Yes. Either heavy weight or heavy reps.

Wrong....the answer is NO.....you said it yourself....

Heavy weight/Heavy Rep.....:hi:

So see heavy is only way....lol

I kid I kid.....

I hate doing reps worse than going super duper puking when done heavy.....but I'm built mor for the 5 sets of 5 than I am for the 10-12 rep stuff....

I tend to go for less weight, and I make the reps as difficult as possible. It's better for shaping and I was having no luck getting bigger with the combination of my genes, diet, and lack of steroids (LOL). I like to pause a long time at the static position, and do a very slow negative.

I tend to go for less weight, and I make the reps as difficult as possible. It's better for shaping and I was having no luck getting bigger with the combination of my genes, diet, and lack of steroids (LOL). I like to pause a long time at the static position, and do a very slow negative.

That's my usual leg workout. I lift real heavy about once a month. I generally just squat high reps of 225. I used 365 today. Only got it up three times though. Sore as a motherfather!

I alternate upper body though. One week reps, the next weight.

1RM's are mainly for bragging rights around the locker room. And Dumbbell benchpress... I've always heard it is an excellent lift. You like it more then barbell? why?

SIAPGFYS
Dumbbell exercises require more muscle interaction and develop muscle memory unlike a barbell which pretty much locks you into a set movement.

Last edited:
That's my usual leg workout. I lift real heavy about once a month. I generally just squat high reps of 225. I used 365 today. Only got it up three times though. Sore as a motherfather!

I alternate upper body though. One week reps, the next weight.

Haha....I did same thing....went up to 365 (I'm just starting squats after not doing them for over a yr) Friday night and also did straight leg dead lifts before work(3rd shift) and by 2 am I couldn't freaking move....luckily I sit at a console with 12 screens in front of me and don't have to move that much....bc I couldn't.....then to make things worse....yes I got a stomach virus Saturday lol.....if there was a crying ICON it would be inserted here...

Honestly I wish I had enough self control to only do reps sometimes....I go heavy all the time....more power lifter than bodybuilder....my genetics are big and strong while I have a horrible time losing weight....

It's all about the EGO.....I will go into the gym with a mindset of just doing reps, but as soon as I get there i see someone that gets on my nerves and then I have to go big and heavy to show them up....lol....I know it's juvenile....but it's the truth

12yrs ago I was 200lbs with 11% body-fat but was still considered the big boy....smh....so I just embraced the fact I will never be the lithe muscular type....

Here is my best definition of me.....I love soccer but have a rugby players body...lol...

Chest tonight before work....Incline 5x5....

225 first 4 reps with a pause at bottom
275 first 3 reps with a pause
300 first 2 reps with a pause
315 first rep with a pause
335 no pause and only got 3reps completed.....

then did heavy flat bench dumbbells and 4 sets of dips to failure....

ran out of time and had to go to work....

Chest tonight before work....Incline 5x5....

225 first 4 reps with a pause at bottom
275 first 3 reps with a pause
300 first 2 reps with a pause
315 first rep with a pause
335 no pause and only got 3reps completed.....

then did heavy flat bench dumbbells and 4 sets of dips to failure....

ran out of time and had to go to work....

I've been hearing of people doing dips as a lower chest workout. I've considered trying that out. Is that what you were doing, or was is it just for triceps?

I've been hearing of people doing dips as a lower chest workout. I've considered trying that out. Is that what you were doing, or was is it just for triceps?

Best lower chest exercise in the business for my money. To hit the chest you just need to make sure you finish the rep leaning forward (about 25-30 degrees). The easiest way for me to hit that is making sure your forearms stay perfectly perpendicular to the floor for the movement. You'll get a great stretch out of it too.

Best lower chest exercise in the business for my money. To hit the chest you just need to make sure you finish the rep leaning forward (about 25-30 degrees). The easiest way for me to hit that is making sure your forearms stay perfectly perpendicular to the floor for the movement. You'll get a great stretch out of it too.

Sounds good to me

This^^^.....

I do them for the lower but also a stabilizer for my muscles after doing the heavy low rep weight....

I also end my triceps workouts with them....but u stay perfectly upright this time.....

Yeah...targeting chest with your dips is awesome.

Not a big fan of flat bench press. I think it's the easiest way to get injured on chest day, and I think you get much better results going incline and decline.

Not a big fan of flat bench press. I think it's the easiest way to get injured on chest day, and I think you get much better results going incline and decline.

I throw in flat BB bench sometimes, but decline is just as good as flat and less stress on the shoulders.

I get the most out of the flat bench. Incline does next to nothing for me. I still do it though. I never use decline.

I don't think so because you dont get the same ROM on a decline. Less stretch and less total muscle involvement. <3 the incline press, tho.

Dorian Yates is my favorite bodybuilder as far as technique goes. He said he gained the most mass out of decline because you use more chest and less delts.

The reason I like Yates is he's scientific and reasoned about his approach. The most basic function of the chest muscle is to bring the arm down and across the body (think about the most muscular pose), and decline matches that movement much better than flat and incline do.

Reactions: 1 person
Dorian Yates is my favorite bodybuilder as far as technique goes. He said he gained the most mass out of decline because you use more chest and less delts.

The reason I like Yates is he's scientific j reasoned about his approach. The most basic function of the chest muscle is to bring the arm down and across the body (think about the most muscular pose), and decline matches that movement much better than flat and incline do.

Wow....I thought I would be the only one who thought Dorian Yates was the best......he was a BEAST....

I love decline bc it does take pressure off my shoulders and bc it def hits a different area of your pec....

Incline has given me massive upper chest development....i don't like it when the top of pec looks flat compared to the rest.

On a lighter note....today is shoulder day....:)

A former Mr Olympia knows alot more about mass building than me, that's for sure. I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who hates to see a great compound movement turned into an isolation exercise. I like that the flat bench hits 3 muscle groups hard and also works the lats/traps with proper form. Once I was shown the right way to tuck your elbows on the bench press it took alot of the strain off the shoulders while still giving them a good workout. You can also switch to a neutral grip dumbbell press on the flat bench, which is one of my favorites.

A former Mr Olympia knows alot more about mass building than me, that's for sure. I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who hates to see a great compound movement turned into an isolation exercise. I like that the flat bench hits 3 muscle groups hard and also works the lats/traps with proper form. Once I was shown the right way to tuck your elbows on the bench press it took alot of the strain off the shoulders while still giving them a good workout. You can also switch to a neutral grip dumbbell press on the flat bench, which is one of my favorites.

Not necessarily. What works for Jay Cutler would never work for me. The dude's just a genetic freak.

VN Store

Back