The Thread Where People Argue About Kneeling in the NFL (merged)

First amendment doesn't protect you from bodily harm. Your employer can nuke your [b[financial freedom[/b].

Nice play on words.

What I said still stands. The first amendment protects your freedom from the state because only the state has the power to incarcerate or kill people. Employers only have power over you if you let them. Nobody said you have to work for someone to make a living. Many people work for themselves as entrepreneurs or independent contractors.

Reactions: 1 person
That's your opinion. The protesters have been very clear about what their actions are meant to convey. They are protesting the unjustified killing of unarmed black men by the police in the United States. Nobody has said this has anything to do with the anthem or country.

Just because you have a problem with the message doesn't mean you can lie about what they are protesting.

Find other ways to protest the police -- I dont like the police in those and alot of cases but this type of protest is silly and does nothing to hurt the police

Reactions: 3 people
Because he’s being a little *****, disrespecting those who let him play with a ****ing football for a living. We have soldiers, who are wheel chair bound, but will still stand even if with support for the anthem.

Those same people who died to allow him to play football died to allow him the right to sit/kneel during the anthem.

Reactions: 11 people
Except that policemen kill more whites than blacks. You're just as likely to get struck by lightning as you are shot by a cop.

Good. Now you're on topic. See how much better this is than deflecting to the military which has nothing to do with what anyone is saying.

Now that you see what is being discussed. Respect the right of those who don't agree with you on the state of race relations in this country to express their beliefs. That is all the protesters are asking for and doing.

Find other ways to protest the police -- I dont like the police in those and alot of cases but this type of protest is silly and does nothing to hurt the police

That sort of defeats the purpose of a protest. Its not supposed to satisfy your sensibilities. Its supposed to irk you because it's trying to send a message. A protest that tries to satisfy your sensibilities isn't really a protest anymore.

That sort of defeats the purpose of a protest. Its not supposed to satisfy your sensibilities. Its supposed to irk you because it's trying to send a message. A protest that tries to satisfy your sensibilities isn't really a protest anymore.

whats the point ? the police can careless what an NFL player does -- first maybe the media can quit claiming 'every' cop is a 'hero'

Good Lord, we agree for once.

Anyone saying find a different way to protest is really saying find a way that won't interfere with my tv watching.

The idea of a protest or demonstration is to have people talk about it.

Reactions: 4 people
whats the point ? the police can careless what an NFL player does -- first maybe the media can quit claiming 'every' cop is a 'hero'

Its about raising awareness to the issue. That's why people protest. And then hopefully those in power will change things so that these problems don't persist.

You're probably the type of person who would have said Martin Luther King Jr. and other civil rights protesters in the 1960s were wasting their time or should find other things to do.

Nonviolent protest is a part of American history.

Reactions: 2 people
Except that policemen kill more whites than blacks. You're just as likely to get struck by lightning as you are shot by a cop.

Show me the statistic that cops shoot more white people than black people. And it better be standardized to each population and not just gross numbers.

You're white. Clearly it is pointless to you.

As am I. I just don't try to pretend to know how others are supposed to feel.

It's just numbers. You're just as likely to get struck by lightning as you are to be shot by the cops. Less than 1% of police encounters end up in killings. It's not a real problem.

Now a real problem is black on black, white on white shootings. The police is a big red herring in the scheme of things.

Its about raising awareness to the issue. That's why people protest. And then hopefully those in power will change things so that these problems don't persist.

You're probably the type of person who would have said Martin Luther King Jr. and other civil rights protesters in the 1960s were wasting their time or should find other things to do.

Must have been rough at Duke...

Considering BLM exists, Martin Luther King Jr.'s philosophies lost against Malcom X. The biggest issue in the black community is black on black shootings. The police protests are a waste because they're actually very rare.

The shooting and murder stats say blacks murder blacks, whites murder whites, and Latinos murder Latinos.

Saying cops are evil and are all bad is just going to cause those cops and future cops to not become cops. Then they will be severly short staffed and murders will skyrocket, just ask Baltimore.

Last edited:

Dude, the statistic that twice as many white people are shot than blacks is not standardized to their respective populations. 62% of the country is white and only 13% is black. Because there are more white people, it is likely that more of them would be shot than blacks total. However If you are black you are 2 times more likely to be shot by an officer under these same numbers. If 13% of the population is black or roughly 4 times less than whites and get shot half as much, blacks are still twice as likely to be shot than a white person.

Reactions: 5 people
Dude, the statistic that twice as many white people are shot than blacks is not standardized to their respective populations. 62% of the country is white and only 13% is black. Because there are more white people, it is likely that more of them would be shot than blacks total. However If you are black you are 2 times more likely to be shot by an officer under these same numbers. If 13% of the population is black or roughly 4 times less than whites and get shot half as much, blacks are still twice as likely to be shot than a white person.

Still, whites are shot more than blacks. Is a point worth less in football when a team has a lot more time of possession?

Still, whites are shot more than blacks. Is a point worth less in football when a team has a lot more time of possession?

good lord you need a lesson in math. True there are more white people in the country than blacks. This makes the total amount of whites shot higher. But if you are white and encounter an officer, you are roughly two times less likely to be shot than if you were a blacks person. You do not understand the concept of standardization.

Reactions: 6 people
good lord you need a lesson in math. True there are more white people in the country than blacks. This makes the total amount of whites shot higher. But if you are white and encounter an officer, you are roughly two times less likely to be shot than if you were a blacks person. You do not understand the concept of standardization.

My point is find another way to make your point ("protestors")

Do not steal the time used to honor and thank those who served for your issues. Yes there are bad cops, but media makes it seem like most cops are racist and that's not true.

I do understand odds. The odds of a black man being shot by a cop is around three million to one.

I'm not an idiot. I know what per cap stats and standardizations are. My argument is in the grand scheme of things the odds of a black male being shot by a cop is incredibly low. It's so low that it's not a real problem like race pushers make it out to be. The real problem is black on black, white on white, lation on Latino shootings.

The saddest thing of all is the philosophy of Martin Luther King Jr. died.

This is just dumb.

It's is not even remotely comparable to a football game. You're stretching your argument pretty thin.

62% to 13% is far different than 40 minutes to 20 minutes...

More people by a large margin equals more numbers, good and bad. Thus easily skewed.

More time of possession doesn't equal more points.

I do understand odds. The odds of a black man being shot by a cop is around three million to one.

I'm not an idiot. I know what per cap stats and standardizations are. My argument is in the grand scheme of things the odds of a black male being shot by a cop is incredibly low. It's so low that it's not a real problem like race pushers make it out to be. The real problem is black on black, white on white, lation on Latino shootings.

Where did you get that number? Did you just make that up? If you did actually understand what a standardization is you would realize the total number of people shot does not matter when assessing how likely a person of one race is shot by the police compared to another.

VN Store

Back