The Tennessee Running Attack is Criminally Underrated

Sure, John Kelly played Missouri's weaker run defense; so did Ralph Webb and Jordan Scarlett. Why do their stats count, but Kelly's don't?

Pot...meet Kettle...

You have NO OBJECTIVE reason for placing our 2017 rushing attack ahead of either Auburn's or Vanderbilt....but you did...

Our Freshman RBs haven't played a down....and you actually expect anyone to believe that JK + unproven freshman and CFA are going to produce a better rushing attack than Auburn's? Vanderbilt's? :crazy::crazy:

Reactions: 2 people
Pot...meet Kettle...

You have NO OBJECTIVE reason for placing our 2017 rushing attack ahead of either Auburn's or Vanderbilt....but you did...

Our Freshman RBs haven't played a down....and you actually expect anyone to believe that JK + unproven freshman and CFA are going to produce a better rushing attack than Auburn's? Vanderbilt's? :crazy::crazy:

Dude put a lot of work into that "preseason projection" and posted it for discussion and you felt the need to call him STUPID.

Cool.

Pot...meet Kettle...

Exactly.

Reactions: 1 person
Yet, my bigger problem with your argument is that you're cherry-picking data. You're essentially saying "Tennessee's running back is unproven because he put up yards against Nebraska, Texas A&M, and South Carolina BUT all these other RBs that put up yards against similar competition are legit." Tennessee played the SEC East teams, just like all the other SEC East teams played the SEC East teams. You can't say "the stats don't count here for this guy, but they do for this other guy in the exact same scenario." I'm analyzing everyone on relatively equal footing. You're selectively picking and choosing which data counts. Sure, John Kelly played Missouri's weaker run defense; so did Ralph Webb and Jordan Scarlett. Why do their stats count, but Kelly's don't?

I never made a single comment on any back outside Kelly. I literally said...

It doesn't mean i think Kelly is trash. Good running backs perform against anyone, regardless of opponent. But I want to see him against better defenses before I make a full judgment.

Kelly worked very well in the games he played. I'm just not 100% convinced until I see it against some other teams. He could very well do the same and it wouldn't surprise me.

When you actually do a deep-dive on the data, it's pretty obvious that Hurd was holding the offense back, and John Kelly has been a much better solution. Why did Hurd get so much respect but Kelly gets none:

I'm also not sure what Hurd has do with having an opinion on Kelly in 2017? No one is disrespecting Kelly.

This preseason is so perfectly reminiscent of the 2001 preseason.

All we heard was: our #1 rb had never carried the load before, never been the #1 guy, he couldn't stand up to the workload of being pounded by top defenses, was too small, got most of his stats in garbage time, benefitted mostly by being the afterthought to two other more talented backs, and once SEC defenses started gameplanning for and keying in on him, he had no chance...

And of course Travis Stephens responded by having one the absolute best seasons of any running back in the history of our program.

I laughed that year just like i'll laugh this year.

John Kelly is special.

His balance vision and hard running ways ignited this team whenever he came in last year. We all saw it if we watched close enough, the OL just loved blocking for him, it made them nastier, in a way his attitude and selfless hard running inspired a team that was torn part and screwed over by the big spoiled baby who had just laid down and quit. He definitely reminds me of Travis Stephens.

The rushing attack WILL be great, it is underrated.

Argue if you want, but you'll see.

Reactions: 1 person
Kelly had a 4-yard goalline defense TD against Va Tech, granted, it was at the tail end of the game once we'd crushed their spirits.

He had one of his best games of the year against A&M. Now, they're not a strong defense, but still an SEC West defense, and he rocked against them.

Also had a really good game against Nebraska, a top-30 defense.

So I would not conclude that he can only run well against the Vandys and Tennessee Techs of the world.

If that is the reason the media overlooks him, they're missing something. He's a proven commodity, looks like to me.

Vandy's defense was considerably better than Tennessee Tech's defense, wouldn't you say?:hi:

cant believe anyone would want to question John Kelly. Its easy to see how good he is. And we got a UK fan on here trying to throw shade like we havent put about 165 on them the last 3 games combined. Dude just stop. Trying to tell us hes not sold on him. I mean who cares what you think? Nobody here is sold on anything UK either. worry about your own garbage ass team. Stephen Johnson does well to complete 50% of his passes. Worry about that.

Last edited:
Vandy's defense was considerably better than Tennessee Tech's defense, wouldn't you say?:hi:

I'm sure it was, Photo. But my post wasn't about comparing Vandy and TTU's defenses. It was about John Kelly running well last year against good and bad defenses alike. :good!:

cant believe anyone would want to question John Kelly. Its easy to see how good he is. And we got a UK fan on here trying to throw shade like we havent put about 165 on them the last 3 games combined. Dude just stop. Trying to tell us hes not sold on him. I mean who cares what you think? Nobody here is sold on anything UK either. worry about your own garbage ass team. Stephen Johnson does well to complete 50% of his passes. Worry about that.

Haha. I can always count on you for making everything a personal attack simply because I'm a UK fan. There's no need to be so wound up all the time, chill out! Thanks buddy, take it easy.

Reactions: 2 people

Kelly didn't get many chances vs either team last year for some reason, but performed as you'd hope a top SEC running back would against both. Nearly 6 yards per carry vs Vandy, and he made TNTech look silly with 104 yards on just 7 carries.

I think S.Carolinas running game could surprise people as well. Dowdle is a solid back. Good size and power. The Ty'son Williams kid may be a breakout, I know springs games aren't a great reference to go off of, but he looks like a great athlete. Very explosive kid and it seems like him and Jake Bentley definitely have chemistry and that Williams kid has hands. They will use him in the passing game and dowdle will probably just be a north/South back.

Of course this is all speculation. But isn't that what makes football fun? Ya know, fun? That thing you do while watching football?....oh wait....lolol

SC is indeed very high on their RB stable. Dowdle was a true frosh that missed the first 4-5 games with injury. He ran for almost 800 yards in last 8 games with a very bad OL. Add the UNC transfer that is an explosive 4 star to share the load and a much improved OL.....considering D's will need to respect Jake Bentley passing abilities, their running game might thrive in 2017.

Dude put a lot of work into that "preseason projection" and posted it for discussion and you felt the need to call him STUPID.

Cool.

Well...it's obvious that you put no work into thinking....

For the record...I said a couple of things....

1. His conclusions are all colored orange...
2. Putting Auburn and Vandy behind us in an evaluation of returning rushing attack ratings is stupid...

It's like saying a pitcher threw a bad pitch...there's no intent to say the pitcher is bad...

Understand now....Mr. helper....??? :)

Well...it's obvious that you put no work into thinking....

For the record...I said a couple of things....

1. His conclusions are all colored orange...
2. Putting Auburn and Vandy behind us in an evaluation of returning rushing attack ratings is stupid...

It's like saying a pitcher threw a bad pitch...there's no intent to say the pitcher is bad...

Understand now....Mr. helper....??? :)

:salute:

VN Store

Back