The Tennessee Running Attack is Criminally Underrated

How is the running game underrated? Is Kelly, Chandler or CFA proven commodities? No they are not. All the guys ahead of JK are. I know we all think Kelly is going to be really good, but with the limited amount he has played, and the competition in which he played against, how can you expect him to be ranked higher?

This.

Great work .
The RB position has become a less important position .
But if u got a beast it is a great thing.

Our backs look a little light to me. I think Chandler is listed at 195 lbs. A lot of the other SEC backs go about 220 lbs. Hope he is fast.

Our backs look a little light to me. I think Chandler is listed at 195 lbs. A lot of the other SEC backs go about 220 lbs. Hope he is fast.

He's one of the fastest RBs we've had in some time.

He may be only 195, but he runs behind his pads extremely well.
And he gets low. Great change of direction...and elite top-end speed!

I'm far from a nega Vol, but I think John Kelly is average. Wish he was more, but he's just not elite. Hopefully he can be a good serviceable back for us though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for this.

I havent even finished the reading the article you wrote yet.

I just woke up and saw this immediately recognizing it as greatness far better than anything ive seen this year on MSM.

Truth is im saving it, dont want to waste the moment until coffee is ready and ive settled full on into a nice lazy sunday morning.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 person
Impressive write-up, DG. But since the Vols have yet to play a game, yet, the running game is neither over-rated nor under-rated.

We have no idea at this point. At the end of Sept. we'll know one way or the other.

I'm as big a fan as anyone, but I think this idea that our running game is elite is insane. I hope I'm wrong. I love JK, and I love what Im hearing about Jordan and Chandler, but we are really a long way behind SEC elite. Guice is elite, Chubb and Michel are elite, Alabama has already had a 4 star transfer because he can't get on the field, and word is they are going to lose another one this week. That will leave them with only for or five four and five star running backs left!

Very detailed and a good read. To say Ralph Webb is helped out by Shurmurs passing is not accurate. Vandy is a run first team and I don't think many teams game plan for vandys passing attack. I am assuming the only vandy game you may have watched last year was Shurmur shredding the UT secondary but when you log 250+ carries a season for the past three years, then you are the focal point of the offense. 37 straight games starting and 4 career fumbles with 0 last year. Not to mention, I think we can agree Vanderbilt never has had a top oline in the conference to run behind. If Webb stays healthy he will end up the #2 all time RB in the sec behind the unbreakable record of Herschel Walker.

The talent is there. No doubt about that.

And running back is one of the easier positions to play as a true freshman. You can get great production out of a kid straight out of Highschool if he's a stud....and Ty Chandler is a stud. Perhaps Jordan too.

Very detailed and a good read. To say Ralph Webb is helped out by Shurmurs passing is not accurate. Vandy is a run first team and I don't think many teams game plan for vandys passing attack. I am assuming the only vandy game you may have watched last year was Shurmur shredding the UT secondary but when you log 250+ carries a season for the past three years, then you are the focal point of the offense. 37 straight games starting and 4 career fumbles with 0 last year. Not to mention, I think we can agree Vanderbilt never has had a top oline in the conference to run behind. If Webb stays healthy he will end up the #2 all time RB in the sec behind the unbreakable record of Herschel Walker.

Agree. If any thing Webb took great pressure off Shurmur. Webb was the catalyst and he's had a phenomenal career there. To know that he has a great chance to be the 2nd leading all time SEC rusher behind only Herschel is amazing, especially given a couple of those Vandy teams he's played on where he was all they had on offense. Kudos to the kid, he'll definitely play on Sunday's imo.

Kelly is a stud. let them think that.

nothing but respect for ralph webb btw. Just feels like he has been in college for like 7 years haha

btw...Vandy schedule is brutal

Last edited:
My only disagreement with you is regarding UK. I think that Snell kid is the real deal. Also, you didn't mention Boom Williams. I believe he is back this season.

Kentucky just lost one of their starting OL for the season and I think one or two graduated, so we will se how good they are in the trenches this year. Last season they were quite impressive.

the only thing that worries me about our RB group is staying healthy... If our O line is truly improved from last year and stays healthy, we will be fine. Again I say though, we better be putting all our attention on trying to get a larger power-back like Emmons to complement the scat backs we currently have.

My only disagreement with you is regarding UK. I think that Snell kid is the real deal. Also, you didn't mention Boom Williams. I believe he is back this season.

Kentucky just lost one of their starting OL for the season and I think one or two graduated, so we will se how good they are in the trenches this year. Last season they were quite impressive.

boom jumped to the NFL

apparently the media didn't watch as many Vol games as I did last season...JK did real well and believe he'll do very well this season...at least a grand (just on the ground) not including passing yards...of course, that's just me...and,

GO VOLS!

apparently the media didn't watch as many Vol games as I did last season...JK did real well and believe he'll do very well this season...at least a grand (just on the ground) not including passing yards...of course, that's just me...and,

GO VOLS!

i think he will run all over GTs garbage defense week 1.

tenor.gif

1253528075_dr-phil.gif

If JK had played the whole season as back up to AK....and stayed healthy....Hurd left or sat...JK would be getting his props....who cares about their rankings....we all know what he is capable of...runs like you stole his peanut butter/jelly sandwich then slapped his momma twice on Sunday.

Last edited:
A true running game does depend on the OL. An outlaw like Dobbs can make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.....

And you forgot about Malone, and JJ on the outside.

Also, I wouldn't call Dobb's scrambling a part of the running game.

Your last point is a great one. He was our leading rusher last season and I'd hazard a guess that no more than half of his rushing yards were on designed keepers or read options. He bailed the OL and offense out over and over again with his elite running ability which wasn't a part of the running schemes. We won't have that this year.

Reactions: 1 person
If JK had played the whole season as back up to AK....and stayed healthy....Hurd left or sat...JK would be getting his props....who cares about their rankings....we all know what he is capable of...runs like you stole his peanut butter/jelly sandwich then slapped his momma twice on Sunday.

Well said. The "experts" can rank him wherever they want, say whatever they want about him. I believe if he stays healthy and the OL is even slightly improved, he'll post numbers right in the same range with they guys they say are the best in the conference. I think I've seen enough of him to say that with a lot of confidence. The only real wildcard here is how good will Chandler be? Can Ty be so good that he eats into more of JK's carries than we think?

Boom Williams is an undrafted free agent with the Bengals.

the only thing that worries me about our RB group is staying healthy... If our O line is truly improved from last year and stays healthy, we will be fine. Again I say though, we better be putting all our attention on trying to get a larger power-back like Emmons to complement the scat backs we currently have.

We have Coleman who has good size and JK wouldn't be considered a scat back. The average Colle running back is 210 lbs and JK is 205 and runs bigger than he is. AK was 195 coming out of HS same as Chandler and Jordan are now and will continue adding weight and getting stronger.

Regardless of competition, I was surprised to find out JK had more yards than Kamara, but I also forgot he got hurt some and allowed him to get more PT.
I have been underestimating them but I'm starting to get excited especially about Chandler. I do think, as I posted before, RB may be more key than QB.

VN Store

Back