The Strain

Very good episode. Either the girls dad is still laying in the tub dead or he also came back to life like she did.

I can't believe that rock star guy's thing just fell off and he tried to flush it like it was nothing.

That was hilarious. Just when you think you've seen everything....

I thought the episode was named "Gone Smooth" Because their hair was all falling out and going bald.

That last second plot twist for it was great.

Watched episodes 1-2 on demand and it's intriguing.

The rock star guy sucks at acting but a good show so far.

I think we're seeing vampire hierarchy similar to Stephen king. He had three specific types, with sub types, in his universe (the dark tower and salems lot mostly). It's been a while since I've read so the names might be off, but we have type B vampires, ones that are almost mindless thralls, like the little girl. Type A vampires, like our German friend and potentially the survivors, who have mental autonomy and the power to make more type B vampires. Then we have elder vampires, like our Dracula esque figure, who is old as creation, can make any kinds of vampires, and most likely has more tricks up his sleeve like mind control or transformation. This could also mean that he's immune to your typical vampire weaknesses like garlic or crosses, but not to certain things like crossing running water or being able to enter a home uninvited.

I could have this all wrong, but regardless I'm loving the show so far. I'm only curious if this will be a multisession show or if it might even change regularly ala American Horror Story. I truly think I could see either one working for this type of show.

Last edited:
I think we're seeing vampire hierarchy similar to Stephen king. He had three specific types, with sub types, in his universe (the dark tower and salems lot mostly). It's been a while since I've read so the names might be off, but we have type B vampires, ones that are almost mindless thralls, like the little girl. Type A vampires, like our German friend and potentially the survivors, who have mental autonomy and the power to make more type B vampires. Then we have elder vampires, like our Dracula esque figure, who is old as creation, can make any kinds of vampires, and most likely has more tricks up his sleeve like mind control or transformation. This could also mean that he's immune to your typical vampire weaknesses like garlic or crosses, but not to certain things like crossing running water or being able to enter a home uninvited.

I could have this all wrong, but regardless I'm loving the show so far. I'm only curious if this will be a multisession show or if it might even change regularly ala American Horror Story. I truly think I could see either one working for this type of show.

I wrote a similar theory above.

Crossing running water?

Pretty good episode tonight, they seem to keep getting better and better every week.

I agree, very good episode! Finally some extermination! I'm also still liking the way they're telling the story from different characters points of view. It keeps the show dynamic. Something tells me we end up liking the Hispanic thug before this is all over. Just a working theory I've got in my head anyway. Anyone think the female doctor comes back around at some point or have we genuinely seen the last of her?

Seems that the little girl turned her dad so I guess any vampire can make another vampire. Hansel is fighting it so there's definitely some division between the airplane survivors and the rest. The way they pulled out the stinger during the autopsy makes me think that the stinger is the actual being and the dead human is just an exoskeleton at least for the base level vampires. Maybe the stingers are aliens.

The stinger seems to me kind of like a proboscis on a fly. I love how they are making this scientific. Vampires as parasites, that's freaking awesome if you look at it like that.

I'm just curious how much they are going to play with the weaknesses/strengths of vampires? Will garlic work? Obviously sunlight still does, as even the master dracula style vamp has been in the dark all along. They are weak to silver as our favorite jewish hunter showed. What about mind control? There's clearly telepathic bonds for the master vampire to talk to his thralls. And even more.... what if there's more like him?

I also just now found out this show is also a series of books. Part of me wants to jump into those, but part of me wants to watch this show play out as they said it will be a limited run based on those books.

Seems that the little girl turned her dad so I guess any vampire can make another vampire. Hansel is fighting it so there's definitely some division between the airplane survivors and the rest. The way they pulled out the stinger during the autopsy makes me think that the stinger is the actual being and the dead human is just an exoskeleton at least for the base level vampires. Maybe the stingers are aliens.

Yes, finally got the answer to the question I was asking. The CDC doctor mentioned that the father had been feeding on innocent people and that's why there was so much fresh blood. That means everyone he fed on is going to change then as well.

The stinger seems to me kind of like a proboscis on a fly. I love how they are making this scientific. Vampires as parasites, that's freaking awesome if you look at it like that.

I'm just curious how much they are going to play with the weaknesses/strengths of vampires? Will garlic work? Obviously sunlight still does, as even the master dracula style vamp has been in the dark all along. They are weak to silver as our favorite jewish hunter showed. What about mind control? There's clearly telepathic bonds for the master vampire to talk to his thralls. And even more.... what if there's more like him?

I also just now found out this show is also a series of books. Part of me wants to jump into those, but part of me wants to watch this show play out as they said it will be a limited run based on those books.

Was it said at some point that his sword was silver? I was thinking it was just the fact that it's a deadly weapon. The line seems to be blurring between the 4 survivors that were on the plane and the lower level vampires. What makes the 4 survivors different now? Are they able to maintain some of their own mind and thoughts through the transformation process?

Yes, finally got the answer to the question I was asking. The CDC doctor mentioned that the father had been feeding on innocent people and that's why there was so much fresh blood. That means everyone he fed on is going to change then as well.

Was it said at some point that his sword was silver? I was thinking it was just the fact that it's a deadly weapon. The line seems to be blurring between the 4 survivors that were on the plane and the lower level vampires. What makes the 4 survivors different now? Are they able to maintain some of their own mind and thoughts through the transformation process?

I thought he told the judge it was an old silver heirloom. I assumed it was silver because when it hit the father's tongue it gave off smoke and seemed to burn.

I thought he told the judge it was an old silver heirloom. I assumed it was silver because when it hit the father's tongue it gave off smoke and seemed to burn.
He said it was an old family heirloom. It has never been said on the show that it was made of silver.

He said it was an old family heirloom. It has never been said on the show that it was made of silver.

The way the father of the little girl's tongue/worm/whatever burned and gave off smoke when it was hit with the sword tells me all I need to know that it's silver.

The way the father of the little girl's tongue/worm/whatever burned and gave off smoke when it was hit with the sword tells me all I need to know that it's silver.
Yeah, it's obviously silver. I was just saying it has never actually been said on the show that it is made of silver.

Another great episode this week! They make me want more after the end of each episode.

I almost felt sorry for the FBI agents, at least the bald one, as he seemed reasonable. The one with hair was a surly bastard.

The story is moving fast. They are already approaching the end of the first book.

VN Store

Back