The Runner's thread

I ran 4+ miles yesterday afternoon. The best part was when I got back to the house and my daughter came running out and led me down to the end of our street and back and then again for a 2nd lap. She had begged me to let her go with me so I told her to be ready when I got back. She had the blinds open and was looking out the window. My wife said she had been looking for me for at least 20 min. Priceless...

That's awesome!!

I'm trying to run 5 days a week, but my shins are really starting to bother me. I stretch them really well before and after, so I don't know what else to do? any hints or suggestions? I only run 2-3 miles a day.

You could try running on trails or grass. Concrete, asphalt and sometimes treadmills will bother my shins.

You could try running on trails or grass. Concrete, asphalt and sometimes treadmills will bother my shins.

Well here in west TX, the ground here is about the same as running on concrete!!! You should try playing golf here!!

I ran 2 miles today on the treadmill. I used level 5 for the first 5 min then level 6 for the rest. I concentrated on keeping my back straight and running in mid foot stride. I could tell a difference in my lower legs for sure, I felt more pressure on my calfs than my shins. I don't know if this is normal or not. Going to keep at it and see if my shin problems stay away.

I also did 10 min on the stair master at 60 stairs a minute. All in all i burned a little over 400 calories in 30 min.

Finally got 4 miles in yesterday at lunch. Nice and hot here too. Running the calories off from the 4th of July weekend is going to take a while. Plus schnitzels and beer aren't going to help next week either.

I ran 2 miles today on the treadmill. I used level 5 for the first 5 min then level 6 for the rest. I concentrated on keeping my back straight and running in mid foot stride. I could tell a difference in my lower legs for sure, I felt more pressure on my calfs than my shins. I don't know if this is normal or not. Going to keep at it and see if my shin problems stay away.

I also did 10 min on the stair master at 60 stairs a minute. All in all i burned a little over 400 calories in 30 min.

Nice! That is much harder than it sounds. I'm not sure how many steps per minute but I end my workouts with climbing about 30 flights of stairs in 6 min(5 min w/ 1 slow cool down). and my legs are whipped when I'm done.

I'm gonna squeeze a 4.5 mile run in this afternoon and then finish it off with a run with Nat again. She thought she was tough stuff last time.

Nice! That is much harder than it sounds. I'm not sure how many steps per minute but I end my workouts with climbing about 30 flights of stairs in 6 min(5 min w/ 1 slow cool down). and my legs are whipped when I'm done.

Your right the stair master is a killer!! I wanted to quit after 5 min. Sometimes i change it up and change directions every minute. 1st min i go up the stairs straight. 2nd min I go up sideways to my right, 3rd min backwards, 4th min sideways to my left. I keep doing that for 10-20 min. A friend of mine who use to be a bodybuilder said he did that all the time to work those muscles in your legs you usually dont use. Trust me you will feel those unused muscles the next day!!

If I remember correctly I did 15 min yesterday and it was just a little over a mile. I've read intervals are good because it gets your HR up high during the fast run then brings it down during the walk/jog. Supposedly this is very heart healthy and increases endurance.

Actually when I say intervals it is really called HIIT= High Intensity Interval Training, for those who don't know.

Next week I'm going to bump my interval speed up a bit. Going from level 8 to 9. Level 10 is an all out sprint, so I'm working my way up!

When I say 10 is an all out sprint, that is for me personally. EB running at 10 would be a fast jog!!..LOL

I cut the grass and then Got 4.5 miles in as the sun was going behind the trees. Then Nat and I ran down to the end of our street and then back past the house about 3 houses before we turned around and came back. Running with her is fun and it's a great cool down for me. I hope she keeps doing it.

I cut the grass and then Got 4.5 miles in as the sun was going behind the trees. Then Nat and I ran down to the end of our street and then back past the house about 3 houses before we turned around and came back. Running with her is fun and it's a great cool down for me. I hope she keeps doing it.

Whats your avg time for 4.5 miles?

Right around 40-41 min. Towards the end of the summer last year I was consistantly under 40 min but didn't do alot of running over the winter and got off to a slow start this year. I done most of my running on a treadmill due to crazy pollen levels this spring.

VN Store

Back