The Runner's thread

^^^

Shorten your stride. You should try to have your foot land under your hip. I had to work on this and the type of shoe I wear makes a huge difference. I have a pair of under armour shoes and any thing over two miles in them kills my knees.

I had ankle surgery in January and got back into running recently - i bought an elliptical when i couldnt do any impact (still working my way back into full runs). I have to say that i highly recommend an elliptical, even if just mixed in with real running. No aches and pains and an hour goes by in no time.

Last edited:
I battle with stride length myself. The longer I stride the more my heels hurt the next morning.

Lyls, you might try focusing on shortening your stride and landing on your midfoot. I gave up road running cause of the pounding. Trails only and I feel much better.

I ran yesterday evening at Mariner Point Park in Newport News. 5 miles around the lake. Absolutely beautiful and the locals are friendly. I would highly recommend it if ever in the area. Only problem it was 93 degrees and 200% humidity. Even my shins were soaking wet when I finished. Brutal.

You know tri it's funny you mentioned that, I shortened my strides, earlier tonight, since I'm going for distance and I feel a ton better. Good call :good!:

I've been dealing with runner's knee for about 2 years now. Really had to cut back on the miles I run.

I have to say, I just did 3 miles on the pavement and after straightening my posture and working on my form...that was fairly easy and I feel great. I can without question see why people get a high from running.

I've run into two problems...

1) Shin problems during the run. Over-pronation?

2) Lower back pain. Just a side effect of getting back into running?

Stretch your Achilles tendons and ankles well before you start and get fitted for good shoes. I haven't had shin splints since i upgraded to "real" running shoes.

The back problems are probably due to poor posture/form or a weak core. Try some ab/core work and maintain good posture.

Stretch your Achilles tendons and ankles well before you start and get fitted for good shoes. I haven't had shin splints since i upgraded to "real" running shoes.

The back problems are probably due to poor posture/form or a weak core. Try some ab/core work and maintain good posture.

I have a strong core but you were dead on, that's why they pay you the big bucks :) It was poor posture. I felt absolutely great running those 3 miles today

I don't know about the "big bucks," as I didn't choose a high dollar subspecialty, but at least I'm pretty stable if the Government Plan goes through. :) Glad to hear you felt better today.

It was insane the difference your posture makes in a long run. My back didn't hurt and my knees/shins felt great. I'm learning slowly how to run long distances and I never thought I would enjoy this

I haven't ran constantly in over a year (end of track my senior year). But, I really want to get back into it. I miss how relieving it was. It's going to be hard after a year of not doing it. Don't want to toot my own horn, but, I use to be fairly good and able to run 8-10+ miles, depending on the workout. So, it's really discouraging starting basically from scratch and barely being able to do a good 3 miles. I'll get there though.

I think I'm going to start back running this week. If I get unmotivated, I will just read this thread.

The most I've ever ran at one time was six miles. At that point, I was only used to running quarter miles for warm-ups. I'm not sure how I did it.

Looking back on it now, I'm not sure how I ever did it.

It actually took me a couple years of running to build up that endurance. The first year working on stride, posture, and core strength, and the rest actually working on distance.

Luckily, I still have most of the muscle memory of my stride and posture. I just need to build up strength and endurance.

I saw a guy wearing a pair of the five finger shoes at my sprint tri Sat. He said that they KILLED his calves in the beginning but once he got use to them most of his hip/knee aches went away. He said the longest distance he had ran in them was a 5k. He felt like they were def worth the money.

I haven't ran constantly in over a year (end of track my senior year). But, I really want to get back into it. I miss how relieving it was. It's going to be hard after a year of not doing it. Don't want to toot my own horn, but, I use to be fairly good and able to run 8-10+ miles, depending on the workout. So, it's really discouraging starting basically from scratch and barely being able to do a good 3 miles. I'll get there though.

I think I'm going to start back running this week. If I get unmotivated, I will just read this thread.

Don't be too hard on yourself: the ability to run 3 miles probably puts you in the top 1-2% most fit of Americans.

Don't be too hard on yourself: the ability to run 3 miles probably puts you in the top 1-2% most fit of Americans.

Agreed.

Speaking of, just ran 3 miles on a treadmill with a 1% incline. Considering that just two weeks ago I was near death after only a half mile I would say I've made good strides(literally). No aches, no pains. I worked on posture and form and all the pains go away

I saw a guy wearing a pair of the five finger shoes at my sprint tri Sat. He said that they KILLED his calves in the beginning but once he got use to them most of his hip/knee aches went away. He said the longest distance he had ran in them was a 5k. He felt like they were def worth the money.

I'm curious, do you know how he handled the transition? Did he wear them through the whole event or just the run? I couldn't see biking in them.

I've thought about wearing mine in a tri but it takes me 5minutes to put them on. I have jacked up circus monkey toes.

I thought about going for a good run this afternoon. I made it to the end of the driveway and decided to hell with it. I'll just go inside and have myself a beer.

VN Store

Back